116th U.S. Open Championship

Davis Love III

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Bit of a farce developing with regards to Dustin Johnson. Whether it was an infringement or not they could at least tell him

Bit of a farce developing with regards to Dustin Johnson. Whether it was an infringement or not they could at least tell him

Saw it live. He grounded his putter but not behind the ball so there was no way he was addressing it, you could even hear Lee Westwood telling him he hadn't addressed the ball. He then confers with the rules official who concurs that he hasn't addressed it and should play it from where it lies.

Garcia might have the worst lie in a bunker that I've ever seen.

It's ridiculous that a decision hasn't been made one way or another. For the challengers as well Lowry could be going up the last not knowing whether he has one or two putts for the championship!

It's amateur hour tbh. Obviously they had to tell DJ and it has certainly affected his game. They also told all the other players and imo it hasn't helped Lowry either, he doesn't know whether to attack or play safe.

Brilliant post DL3!!

Not sure if it was just because Butch laboured the point so much last night but last night was tee'd up to give us a spectacular finish and it just went a bit flat.

Well played by DJ and he done incredibly well in not letting the penalty stroke affect him. His wedge play last night was spot on but I think Shane Lowry let him off the hook with his flurry of 3 putts.

Is it not Johnston's responsibility to call the penalty on himself?

Just catching up,you can clearly hear his playing partner westwood saying he hadnt addressed the ball after johnson called it on himself

Is it not Johnston's responsibility to call the penalty on himself?

If the ball moves as you address it - and you've no idea why - I'd have thought it was obvious that you take the penalty. You can't leave it to your playing partners - who will usually side with you because of the bad luck and unfairness involved. If you can't say why it moved and can't rule yourself out as the cause, you should take the penalty.

Or so I thought. Apparently I'm pretty much alone on this.

I've written this article with my thoughts on the situation, its consequences and the wider questions behind it. 

Golf has been taken to the edge by the USGA and R&A. We're now seeing the repercussions.

Good article.

While I agree with your general points as to how the R&A and USGA are trying to set their courses to defend themselves, I'd suggest that it's exception for it to go wrong in the Open, whilst the USGA are almost deliberately setting themselves up for it with the ridiculous "as close to par as possible" idea they have for the winners.

Archived