Jo Cox MP

I caught a wee bit of Sky News between 8 and 9 and the anchor (as we'll call him) was awful.  Far too much hyperbole - using phrases like 'the openness of our MP surgeries is what puts the Great in Great Britain.'

He said something else a bit nauseating but I cant remember what.  It's not easy filling hours of space with events like this but some are much better than others (exhibit B: Shelagh Fogarty).

Shelagh Professional Scouser Fogarty? Thank f**k she's seldom on the wireless these days.

I was fully expecting ITV's news to be sugar-coated dross but they actually hit the right note and stayed on the sane side of hagiology.

Disappointed at P&B, though.  Wid've.

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shelagh Professional Scouser Fogarty? Thank f**k she's seldom on the wireless these days.

I was fully expecting ITV's news to be sugar-coated dross but they actually hit the right note and stayed on the sane side of hagiology.

Disappointed at P&B, though. Wid've.

I know what hagiography is but what's hagiology?

Disappointed at P&B, though. Wid've.

've?

Deflection of the utmost extreme.

The killer was not apolitical but had known links to the far right and to extremists in South Africa.

He also had previous regards harassing her - this wasn't some accidental death trying to stop a scuffle - who the f**k goes around armed with a knife and hand gun if it's not to use them in some sort of planned way?

We're all relying on hearsay at this stage. We'll get to the bottom of this in the coming days/weeks. If the facts change then so will my opinion.

Someone on fb saying the only eyewitness who mentioned "Britain first" has retracted his story now, and that the belief is Cox intervened an altercation between two men[/quote

He's just been on the BBC,saying he heard the guy shout it twice.Sounds like he may have been threatened if he's tried to retract it!!

Someone on fb saying the only eyewitness who mentioned "Britain first" has retracted his story now, and that the belief is Cox intervened an altercation between two men[/quote

He's just been on the BBC,saying he heard the guy shout it twice.Sounds like he may have been threatened if he's tried to retract it!!

Could be the guy on my fb talking absolute shite, of course

Of course the guy is mentally ill. Nobody who is mentally sound guns someone down on a Thursday afternoon. At the same time, the guy has uttered a phrase which has tons of political baggage and uttered it whilst attacking someone who made centre-left pro-immigration a major point of their political career. This doesn't exist in a vacuum. Brexit launched their campaign with "Let's put Britain first again", there is a well known far right extremist group that vowed to target Muslim officials called Britain First. Much of the rhetoric in the United Kingdom is focused on immigration and British nationalism. Stoking up the tensions that have been stoked up in the UK might not cause most people to resort to violence but it breeds an atmosphere where people more disposed to taking direct action will end up taking action.

Which Brexit campaign group used that slogan?

The Tories' slogan for the 2004 European Elections (with Cameron advising Howard on strategy) was "Put Britain First". It would not be surprising if Tory campaigners fort Brexit used a similar slogan. 

ETA - "One eyewitness told the BBC they heard her attacker shout "put Britain first" at least twice beforehand." http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-36550304.

It's unlikely that 1 in 10,000 voters have even heard of Britain First. It gets no media coverage. The BNP has been consigned to dustbin of political history too. 

It's unlikely that 1 in 10,000 voters have even heard of Britain First. It gets no media coverage. The BNP has been consigned to dustbin of political history too. 

You're joking right? Almost anyone who uses social media, particularly Facebook is virtually certain to have seen a Britain First post shared by someone else. They have a massive online following, which thankfully doesn't fully translate into reality. Their parades have been abject failures, as has Paul Golding's hilarious Mayoral campaign.

Ach, that's nice.

:lol:  That word makes me cringe. My mother uses it all the time. 

Q - "What was your hotel like?" A - "It was nice".

Q - "What do you think of the new car?" A - "It's nice".

Q - "What's my sister's new boyfriend like?" A - "He's nice".

Q - "Do you like the wine?" A - "It's nice".

Q - "What did you vote for Jo Swinson?". A - "She's nice."

:wacko:

The leftists in this country really make me f**king sick. What would you say if it was a anti EU MP who was killed by someone then it was claimed the killer shouted pro EU slogans ? Would that be the Remain campaigns fault ?! Would it be because Cameron and his crew have been stoking tensions by making claims of world war 3 etc ?! Of course not ! you would say it was just a mentally ill man carrying out an attack due to his illness.

To blame something like this on people campaigning about Europe just shows how shallow, stupid and desperate the left is in this country just f**k right off the lot of ye's !

Heid's gone thread for you bud. If you can't see how insidious some of the shite emanating from places like Britain First is then you're blind. That's very different from pinning something on EVERYONE campaigning to leave the EU who think it's just the right thing to do for a range of reasons. Unfortunately, the Britain First types hang onto coat tails and their rhetoric is utterly divisive. So when idiots like Farage release stuff like the Breaking Point poster,to some on the far end of the spectrum it's another invitation to attach to mainstream.

I don't pin what happened today on what Leave have been doing - it's too desperate and sad as well as unclear in motive at this stage.

But mind and pick up your toys before you sign out tonight - you've hoyed them all over the shop

Absolutely terrible news,ive been travelling all day so just catching up

Wasnt there a swedish women mp murdered before there ref?

yes in 2003 they had a vote to decide if they wanted to introduce the euro as there currency. On the 10th of September minister of foreign affairs Anna Lindh was stabbed in a store on Stockholm while shopping for clothes for the debate that night. She died the next morning and on the 14th they voted 55.6% to 42% to keep the krona.

The lone wolf thing from the Mail and the Sun is purely to try and downplay their own responsibility in stirring up tension around immigration. That or they genuinely have zero idea about the organisation of the far right in Europe.

The lone wolf thing from the Mail and the Sun is purely to try and downplay their own responsibility in stirring up tension around immigration. That or they genuinely have zero idea about the organisation of the far right in Europe.

I think the extreme right in the continent are more organised and "intelligent" than the strand we have here which seems to consist of angry middle aged men

If anything this zoomer has just probably dealt the biggest blow imaginable to leaves campaign, not that is what matters now but just pointing out the obvious limited brain cells in his head works

Archived