St Mirren v Morton SPFL Championship 6/8/16

3 minutes ago, Cowshed118 said:

Ill be honest i think its a pain in the arse we have nt beaten you lot in so long, hiwever if i was a st mirren fan id more concerned for the season ahead than i would be with a daft record , you lot were utter shite yesterday

We don't really have our problems to seek either.  Other than the 2 shots off the bar in the first half we struggled to create chances.  It's looking like more stuffy football like last season, we won't concede many but we really need a couple of attacking players in as a matter of urgency.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whilst I kind of understand why people are having a pop at Clarkson for not being effective,  I have to disagree. 

I thought he was OK yesterday but most of the time he was being dragged back to centre mid to do the donkey work that seemed to pass Hutton and Mallan by. If we can't get another guy for that position it might be an idea to let Clarkson drop into there as he certainly has the workrate for it. 

I counted four times in his 50 mins on the park when he had to drop back to in front of the back four to cover. 

That's spot on.

Mallan doesn't work hard enough to play in Central midfield of a 442 I'm afraid.

Rae needs to rethink his tactics and formation.

Sooner Quinn is back the better.

19 minutes ago, Cowshed118 said:

Ill be honest i think its a pain in the arse we have nt beaten you lot in so long, hiwever if i was a st mirren fan id more concerned for the season ahead than i would be with a daft record , you lot were utter shite yesterday

Can't disagree with that.

However, in defence we've still got Gordon and McKenzie to come back from injury. One or the other will replace Baird at some point, which will strengthen our defence.

Up front with the strikers and wingers that we have, we should be able to score much more prolifically than last season. Rae needs to sort out the best starting combination though.

Midfield is key to our success or failure. As you witnessed yesterday, Hutton and Mallan are not very good at the moment.  A fit Quinn will improve the situation, but we still need to a player like Goodwin, only younger and with a degree of subtlety when he's acting as a midfield enforcer.

However Rae needs to get the team firing on all cylinders quickly or any pre-season goodwill will rapidly be forgotten.  

A striker for us has to be priority. I don't actually think we are that far away from having a decent team, and I don't think we are that desperate for wingers as by all accounts Oliver is much better out there than up front.

Someone big and strong for Quitongo to play off would be ideal as he did a wonderful job of stretching the game for us for half an hour when we were in control but then seemed to get a bit lost once St Mirren came in to the game and the ball wasn't sticking up front at all which just invited pressure on to us time and again.

A Denny Johnstone and Quitongo partnership this season would have been exciting to watch.

Kingston Bud? Wer in Greenock do u work? Tell us mate. Do i work wae u or u as brave to tell us like them numpties who tried to break through a 2 manned police cordon well after yous scored thinking yous would do a hibs/rangers attack. Yous wouldnt hav lasted 5:secs bud. Only sing songs wae 5 mins to go? Wots that about

What?

3 hours ago, sigton said:

Kingston Bud? Wer in Greenock do u work? Tell us mate. Do i work wae u or u as brave to tell us like them numpties who tried to break through a 2 manned police cordon well after yous scored thinking yous would do a hibs/rangers attack. Yous wouldnt hav lasted 5:secs bud. Only sing songs wae 5 mins to go? Wots that about

You must be the brains of the operation.

13 hours ago, sigton said:

Oor Willie, brilliant.

Morton fans really must be scratching their heads wondering what they have to do to beat Saints , Morton were by far the better team though faded towards the middle of the second half. Saints were rubbish though got to give credit to Alex Rae who had the balls to go with three at the back to make space for Sutton. its not often you see a manager taking off a defender for a forward. 

Terrible performance yesterday, although I can't remember the last time we had a decent opener.

I gave AR the benefit of the doubt during the cup games as it was technically pre-season.

But it has became obvious now that Mallan is a luxury we can't afford in a four man midfield as he just simply isn't good enough when it comes to defending and winning the ball back.

Hutton has been taking pelters but he's trying to do the work of two men so it's no surprise he's running about like a headless chicken.

I also think with a 4-4-2 we're very static and there's a real lack of movement. It's clear what passes we are going to make and if the opposition is sitting in, we're creating nothing.

We can't play the long ball game without Sutton on the park.

I think 3-5-2 is generally a good fit for us. Walsh and Morgan are both young players and should have engine to be able to get up and down the park. Five in the midfield will allow Mallan to have a free role behind the front two. It will give us more control and allow us to create more.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Naismith in the old Goodwin role just to see if it would be a good fit. I can see him winning the ball and driving forward.

I'll be at Raith next week, but big improvement is needed.

In isolation it's not terrible. When we were on top we were excellent. But for the shocking head to head with that lot you'd be nothing more than annoyed about losing the 2 points.

Positives are we look good through the back and midfield. St Mirren have a good squad and the (very early) indications are that with some forward signings we can push on and finish above them again.

Duffy needs to understand the strength of the team though. His changes yesterday were unacceptable and showed no ambition.

Terrible performance yesterday, although I can't remember the last time we had a decent opener.

I gave AR the benefit of the doubt during the cup games as it was technically pre-season.

But it has became obvious now that Mallan is a luxury we can't afford in a four man midfield as he just simply isn't good enough when it comes to defending and winning the ball back.

Hutton has been taking pelters but he's trying to do the work of two men so it's no surprise he's running about like a headless chicken.

I also think with a 4-4-2 we're very static and there's a real lack of movement. It's clear what passes we are going to make and if the opposition is sitting in, we're creating nothing.

We can't play the long ball game without Sutton on the park.

I think 3-5-2 is generally a good fit for us. Walsh and Morgan are both young players and should have engine to be able to get up and down the park. Five in the midfield will allow Mallan to have a free role behind the front two. It will give us more control and allow us to create more.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Naismith in the old Goodwin role just to see if it would be a good fit. I can see him winning the ball and driving forward.

I'll be at Raith next week, but big improvement is needed.

Agree with you about Hutton. He seems to have taken over the boo boy mantle, but for the last three games I've seen he's been the midfeild. He's the only one working off the ball, the only one providing any kind of cover for the defence and the only one making a tackle. Mallan, Morgan and Gallagher need to start pulling their weight a bit more.

Probably the worst time for both teams to have the derby with our injuries and Morton not having a completed squad yet. Will feel like a better result for us because we nabbed the late goal, last season when Morton got the late equaliser it will have felt a better result for them.

This 'hoodoo' we have over Morton won't count for anything if we don't finish in the play offs again this season. I don't know if it's too far gone or if a couple of Morton wins against us this season might spark life into the derby again.

The 4-4-2 is slightly concerning me, as is the poor form of a few players. Can't just drop Mallan because he can create/score a goal out of nothing. I can see a sort of 4-3-3 happening with Morgan pushed forward to make a forward 3 or drop back in to make the narrow 3 of Mallan Hutton and Quinn a 4.

Langfield was on the train tonight. Kinda downplayed what you should have done but I think he was being polite. Agreed you deserved a point but was a bit cagey with getting more. Sounded like he thought you should have won.

overall a very poor showing, but at least we still got a point. Defence looks very problematic and even below average attackers could break through it, once McKenzie and Gordon are back hopefully we ll be more solid. Irvine works hard but he just dosent have it anymore. All mallan can do is hit a decent free kick and occasionally beat a man, his passing was beyond a joke. Huttons fairly new so I'd give him a few more games before judging. Clarkson has got a good shot on him but was closed down far too often and wasn't getting any type of service whatsoever, he ll still score a few goals this season though. I'm still not sure about Shankland, he was a ghost in that game, Morgan was alright but Morton had him marked and didn't allow him any space.  hardie and Walsh definitely have to start next week, they defientley have a spark about them, and also pace, which apart from Morgan none of the other players have. Not the biggest fan of Sutton but at least he can poach and head a ball in from nothing, will be ideal for the scrappy matches this season. We have a good squad, plenty of options but we have to improve on our passing and learning how to break teams down, if we play like that against hibs, Falkirk, Dundee United etc they will just rip us to shreds. 

As for Morton they look fairly organised but lost all momentum in second half. Good at getting bodies back and look solid in defence. Hit the bar twice first half and I'm sure they also had a decent chance in the second half, should have had game dead and buried. 

Archived