St Mirren v Morton SPFL Championship 6/8/16

I actually think Hutton could be the DM quite comfortably. To be honest, I've no idea why the boo boys have got it in for him already because for me, he is the only guy in there actually doing what he needs to defensively. He's just massively stretched in that formation. Mallan, Morgan, Walsh, Gallagher, etc, none of these guys are really pitching in much when we don't have the ball.

I really like Mallan, but I think if the 4-2-4 formation is what we are sticking with, Hutton and Quinn might be the better option.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We can every confidence in the defence keeping it tight, but the concern is how we respond if they do break us down. If they take the lead then focus on nullifying Tidser then we have no threat, as playing through the middle and through Tidser is all we have until more signings come in.

1 hour ago, Scosha said:

Still, at least we didn't lose 3-0 to a Premiership side. And the games did show where we need improvement. Even the Killie game it was evident wide players were required. Whilst the Clyde game and Berwick game showed we still need at least another striker in and again, Wingers.

I'm not saying we're any great shakes by the way. Was just surprised to see what the Morton team looks like compared to when we last met. Plenty of time until the transfer window closes though.

1 hour ago, flyingscot said:

I think this will be a good shout for a Morton win. I don't think we've played that well in the league cup and without Quinn our midfield is too lightweight. Think we should have signed a good defensive midfielder rather than another striker.

I remember hearing that a couple of times last season......

6 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

I remember hearing that a couple of times last season......

We were measurably worse last season so a Ton win seemed quite likely at some point. Now we've apparently strengthened and cleared out the dead wood and don't have Murray in charge.. Plus, there is a bit of optimism about the place, and we've made some good signings, and the fans' takeover is going ahead; there'll be a big crowd on Saturday.

Therefore everything points to a Morton win this weekend.  Because St Mirren. The only thing missing is TV coverage for the ultimate fail.

£20 on the Morton win returns about £60.  Seems like a thoroughly decent bet to me.

Looking at the two squads about a week ago I was fairly confident we would give the Ton a doing - But the result away against Killie, no matter how poor they are, will give Morton confidence. Morton will come with no pressure at all to win whereas we are expected to win. Just hope the boo boys don't start if we're not winning at half time.

2 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

St Mirren will be seen as the favourites.

Indeed we are. We're priced at about evens, while you are 2/1, give or take.

If I was neutral, I'd struggle to back Saints at that price. Morton 11/8 Draw No Bet looks a decent shout.

I think we've got more options up front and at the back, so hopefully combinations will be found which will mean more goals and fewer conceded. Midfield is a problem though.If you look at the 2 teams we had who won this league, there were guys across the middle of the park who could boss, bully and win the ball back from the opposition:

99/00 - Murray, Turner, Ross, Nicolson, Brown

05/06 - Murray, Millen, Reilly, Adam, Reid

They were crucial when the going got tough. This season we've really only got Quinn and Hutton in the same mould. Walsh, Morgan, Mallan, Gallagher, McLear and McAllister are all attacking players really.

I think we'll score goals but I fear that there will quite a lot of games where we will struggle to get possession and lose goals because the defence are put under pressure. A lot riding on the fitness and performances of Quinn / Hutton. They won't be able to do it all by themselves though. We really need Stevie Mallan, in particular, to develop a new side to his game this season. John McGinn should be his template. 

1 hour ago, TheGoon said:

I still expect a St Mirren win. It won't be a doing though. Our squad is still a few players off being ready to compete for the playoffs.

I don't think St Mirren have won the opening game of the season since about 19 canteen so Morton will win this get your cash on it .

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

I think McKenzie could do the DM job that Jim Goodwin used to do. 

Depends if he's fit for sat, same goes for Rocco Quinn it might be a bit to soon for both.

Another couple of weeks. He's had an anti-inflammatory injection.

O'Ware really just needs to score a winner against St.Mirren in injury time to write himself into club legend status.

Doesn't take much to be a Morton legend eh? What a low bar :lol:

Archived