St Mirren v Morton SPFL Championship 6/8/16

19 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

If that's indeed all she wrote in terms of signings between now and Morton (and indeed this transfer window), and assuming we have a full compliment (Quinn will probably be on the cusp of returning by then) I reckon a line up of:

---------------------------Langfield-----------------------

---Naismith-----Mackenzie-----Webster-----Irvine---

-----------------------------Hutton-------------------------

-----Walsh----------------Mallan---------------Morgan---

-------------Hardie-------------------Shankland----------

I like that, but I would worry about having a slightly soft belly there, especially in the derby match. I guess if the front four/five can gel enough between now and then, it could be ok.

I'm starting to worry about the sense in ever playing with two up front, given how few other teams do it, but with these four strikers in now, I guess it's the way we need to go.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

I like that, but I would worry about having a slightly soft belly there, especially in the derby match. I guess if the front four/five can gel enough between now and then, it could be ok.

I'm starting to worry about the sense in ever playing with two up front, given how few other teams do it, but with these four strikers in now, I guess it's the way we need to go.

The fans have been on so many Saints managers backs over the formation. "Embarrassing at home to play 1 striker" and "get two strikers oan" (copyright West Stand boo boys). They will get strikers this season!

2 hours ago, flyingscot said:

The fans have been on so many Saints managers backs over the formation. "Embarrassing at home to play 1 striker" and "get two strikers oan" (copyright West Stand boo boys). They will get strikers this season!

Yep, Gus was a 3-5-2/4-4-2 man and he is still known as one of our most negative managers, unfairly in my opinion. 

Fans need to realise to play 2 up front you need to sacrifice your extra man in midfield or go 3 at the back. Will Mallan and Hutton do enough of the dirty work between them? I haven't seen Hutton play yet but Mallan isn't that kind of player. We will be pretty direct anyway so attacking wise it won't matter but without the ball there will be pressure on Mallan and Hutton but with Rae being a centre mid he must have faith in them.

So your probably looking at DJ's team but I think it'll be the 2 experienced guys up front, maybe depending on who scores and performs on Saturday. Clarkson has been on a bit of a streak so it would probably be wrong to drop him (I know he hasn't scored in a couple but overall in pre-season) 

2 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

I wonder if Rae would be tempted with 3-5-2 or a 4-3-3 to accommodate players. 

Just now injuries harm both they formations but when Quinn and MacKenzie are fully fit its possible.

You could have Morgan or Gallagher as part of a 3 then dropping back.

Alloa fans last night saying Goodwin is strolling it for them, Hutton has big shoes to fill.

7 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

I wonder if Rae would be tempted with 3-5-2 or a 4-3-3 to accommodate players. 

I was thinking about a 4-3-3, with Shankland and Hardie out wide. But it places a lot of pressure on them to track back and I'm not sure it's the answer.

A 3-5-2 could have potential, for the players we've got. I just remember we tried it against Celtic a few years back and they absolutely ripped the shit out of us down the flanks. 

5 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Just now injuries harm both they formations but when Quinn and MacKenzie are fully fit its possible.

You could have Morgan or Gallagher as part of a 3 then dropping back.

Alloa fans last night saying Goodwin is strolling it for them, Hutton has big shoes to fill.

Goodwin probably had a season left in the tank. I was worried he was going to have a Shuggie but if he is performing well fair play.

6 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Goodwin probably had a season left in the tank. I was worried he was going to have a Shuggie but if he is performing well fair play.

Can see why Rae didn't keep him on, the dressing room needed a fresh clear out ect.

According to Derek Ferguson Goody attempted to decapitate Micheal Gardyne last night ^_^.

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

I was thinking about a 4-3-3, with Shankland and Hardie out wide. But it places a lot of pressure on them to track back and I'm not sure it's the answer.

A 3-5-2 could have potential, for the players we've got. I just remember we tried it against Celtic a few years back and they absolutely ripped the shit out of us down the flanks. 

TBF was that we went 'positive' to Celtic Park as we had had a good run and drawn with Rangers at Ibrox about 4 games previously? Sure Lennon tried it to accommodate both Thompson, Hasselbaink and McGowan.

1 minute ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Can see why Rae didn't keep him on, the dressing room needed a fresh clear out ect.

According to Derek Ferguson Goody attempted to decapitate Micheal Gardyne last night ^_^.

I can see why he cleared out too and Quinn is a decent player who does a lot of Goodwin stuff without the added attention.

30 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

You must be the brains of the operation. 

That's elvis you're talking to, he's more than likely being sincere in his agreement that we're going to be pumped. Never seen a Saints fan revel so much in our shortcomings. 

We're talking about St Mirren TV meanwhile Morton have only just got their season tickets in, aren't expecting more home tops until September and aren't even selling tickets for the derby next week yet! 

We're talking about St Mirren TV meanwhile Morton have only just got their season tickets in, aren't expecting more home tops until September and aren't even selling tickets for the derby next week yet! 

Still, it'll be a good chance to put those primitive spoon burners in their place, eh?

Archived