St Mirren v Morton SPFL Championship 6/8/16

1 hour ago, Buttocks Brown said:

The "Transfers In / Out" table isn't good reading for Morton.

Gary Oliver is no Denny Johnstone. I wonder if he'd have got a deal at Palmerston if Uncle Jim hadn't come calling.... Beyond that, spaces vacated by decent pros have been filled with 20 year old's who have hardly kicked a ball at senior level. 

They look a bit relegation foddery. A team needing rebuilt which is only halfway there going into the new season. Duffy will need to make 2 or 3 shrewd loan signings again. Anyone thought to be coming in this week?

He's not but one of his few goals for Queens was against us so no doubt he'll sodding score again on Saturday. Still, Shankland seems to like scoring against Morton so it should balance out.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite looking forward to this, not made any preseason games due to work but will make this. Don't see us making any changes apart from Kilday in for Lamie unless there is injuries or we bring in another striker. 

Gaston; Doyle, O'Ware, Kilday, Russell; Forbes, Lindsay, Tidser, McDonagh; Oliver, Quitongo. 

1-1. Shankland & Quitongo. 

3 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

The "Transfers In / Out" table isn't good reading for Morton.

Gary Oliver is no Denny Johnstone. I wonder if he'd have got a deal at Palmerston if Uncle Jim hadn't come calling.... Beyond that, spaces vacated by decent pros have been filled with 20 year old's who have hardly kicked a ball at senior level. 

They look a bit relegation foddery. A team needing rebuilt which is only halfway there going into the new season. Duffy will need to make 2 or 3 shrewd loan signings again. Anyone thought to be coming in this week?

Yet we've gone 4 games without conceding a goal and played Killie off the park last week. There will be more signings, and they are needed, but right now I'm not too worried about relegation. I'd like to see us attempt to get a play-off spot but doubt that'll happen. Gary Oliver has impressed me with his link up play, and Jai Quitongo has been decent the last 2 games up front. We still need a striker and at least 2 wingers but we're not too far away. 

Our defence is solid, and our central midfield is very decent. Tidser and Lindsay look to be a good partnership already. I don't know how Saturday will go but I wouldn't be surprised to see yet another defeat.

I expect us to line up (as long as no one else comes in):

Gaston

Doyle Kilday O'Ware Russell

Forbes Lindsay Tidser McDonagh

Oliver Quitongo 

Harsh to drop Lamie but O'Ware is a much needed threat from set pieces. Could do with a new winger to replace McDonagh as he doesn't appear to be any good.

8 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

Langfield 

Naismith Webster Baird Stewart

Hutton Morgan Mallan Walsh

Shankland Hardie 

Sutton Clarkson Gordon McKenzie Gallagher Rocco Quinn could all be in with a shout  of starting.

Why would you drop Clarkson? I think Clarkson and Shankland work really well as a pair and we looked a lot more threatening with them up front on Saturday. I'd go with Langfield in goals as the only change from saturday.

9 hours ago, Scosha said:

Yet we've gone 4 games without conceding a goal and played Killie off the park last week.

3 League 2 teams and Killie are evidently worse than when they nearly went down last season. As preparation for the season you lot had a pish draw. Through, but not really tested and difficult for the manager to identify deficiencies.

I think this will be a good shout for a Morton win. I don't think we've played that well in the league cup and without Quinn our midfield is too lightweight. Think we should have signed a good defensive midfielder rather than another striker.

3 League 2 teams and Killie are evidently worse than when they nearly went down last season. As preparation for the season you lot had a pish draw. Through, but not really tested and difficult for the manager to identify deficiencies.

Still, at least we didn't lose 3-0 to a Premiership side. And the games did show where we need improvement. Even the Killie game it was evident wide players were required. Whilst the Clyde game and Berwick game showed we still need at least another striker in and again, Wingers.

1 hour ago, buddie06smfc said:

Why would you drop Clarkson? I think Clarkson and Shankland work really well as a pair and we looked a lot more threatening with them up front on Saturday. I'd go with Langfield in goals as the only change from saturday.

I'm just guessing tbh, I agree that Clarkson played well with Shanks.

We have plenty of striking options available for the first time in what seems like an age. My concern is the lightweight midfield, let's hope Hutton and Mallan can up their game on sat. 

I think this will be a good shout for a Morton win. I don't think we've played that well in the league cup and without Quinn our midfield is too lightweight. Think we should have signed a good defensive midfielder rather than another striker.

Totally agree, we've looked lightweight and vulnerable in midfeild which puts the defence under pressure. Considering the type of player Rae was, this is surprising. We were completely over-run there against Accies and even on Saturday Hutton was having to work very hard to cover the spaces left by Mallan and the wingers, especially after Clarkson went off as he is pretty good at dropping deeper and filling some of the gaps. If Morton pack the midfeild on Saturday they should be able to control the game.

I'd be feeling more confident if Quinn and MacKenzie were fit. Baird is a bit hit and miss which is to be expected for a player his age. Like everyone else the midfield worries me, it's games like this we'll miss Goody. He was brilliant in the 10 man game at Cappelow. It could come down to Hutton v Tidser, he's a match winner for them.

We should have goals in us this season, you'd think between the 4 of our strikers at least 1 of them should have a goal in them most weeks. Mallan/Morgan are capable of creating and can popping up with a goal, same with Gallagher and Walsh.

Impossible to predict a result for this, Morton haven't conceded yet, they did play lower league teams and draw with Albion Rovers but the Kilmarnock result was fantastic where as our minter of a result against Accies cost us.

We miss a Goodwin / Murray / Thomson that we have always had in there to anchor the midfield and give the attacking boys freedom. Given we play 4-4-2 and Morgan and Walsh both get up the wings and Mallan goes forward, easy to see how we get picked off. You could see why Hamilton ripped us in midfield with an extra man in there. 

Rae was constantly shouting at Hutton and Mallan v Edinburgh City and we didn't look particularly dominant against them in that position, which is worrying. Plus for all the strikers, we couldn't get the 4th v Edinburgh City (despite the 35 clearances off the line) and it seemed like Morgan doesn't create, we don't do much! Teams will cotton onto that and shut him down or hammer him...

2 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

We miss a Goodwin / Murray / Thomson that we have always had in there to anchor the midfield and give the attacking boys freedom.

We missed having Goodwin in midfield when he was still in the squad and playing in defence! 17/3/13 was the exception, obviously - but Hearts could have scored several in that first half hour.

It's usually suicidal to play without a true DM at any level.

Archived