Scottish Championship Winners/Playoffs/Relegated 16/17

Winners, playoffs, relegated.  

369 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Indeed it was. Within three days of Morton fans hounding the club for a rancid start to the league campaign and a shambolic display at Somerset Park in particular, the manager and board were finally forced to press the panic button:
http://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/sport/14741698.Signing_hopeful_Gunning_trains_with_Morton_squad/
http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/14745833.display/
Morton won their first league match and a cup quarter final within a week of Sir Gavin joining the club and picked up 25 points from thirteen matches with the Irish Bonucci in our side. With a lesser role played to Andy Murdoch as well. 
So Morton's turnaround can in fact be directly attributed to the hounding of Jim Duffy and the board by a disgruntled fanbase at the start of September. Thanks for playing anyway. 
Gavin-Gunning-profile-large-e1473948670792_300x450_acf_cropped.jpg

All correct.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 21/06/2016 at 07:53, Poet of the Macabre said:

Hibernian

Falkirk

Dundee United

St Mirren

Raith Rovers

Dunfermline

Morton

Queens

Dumbarton

Ayr

I think you could probably swap 5th-8th around in any combination you want.

I really don't see us getting relegated and it would be a massive disappointment and step backwards from the club. That being said, I also don't see why people think we'll be top four. I'm guessing it's more of not rating the other teams rather than thinking we are all that great.

Other than underestimating Morton and overestimating St Mirren, my predictions are going fairly well.

Not now.

I wouldn't count us out the relegation race yet. The start of march, we have 3 games in a row which will relegate us or clear us from relegation altogether.

Midweek trip to Ayr on the 28th February
Followed by home to St Mirren on the 4th of March.
Completed by an away trip to Dumbarton on the 11th of March. A massive 11/12 days.

1 hour ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

I wouldn't count us out the relegation race yet. The start of march, we have 3 games in a row which will relegate us or clear us from relegation altogether.

Completed by an away trip to Dumbarton on the 11th of March. A massive 11/12 days.

The exact same three as we have coming up. starting on the 18th. It looks as though it is even more massive for St Mirren. Away to Ayr, Home to Hibs, Away to Raith. If they lose those three they're all but fooked

The exact same three as we have coming up. starting on the 18th. It looks as though it is even more massive for St Mirren. Away to Ayr, Home to Hibs, Away to Raith. If they lose those three they're all but fooked

We're at home to Hibs and away to QoS before our 3 season definers though, can't see us picking up anything in either of those though.

2 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

We're at home to Hibs and away to QoS before our 3 season definers though, can't see us picking up anything in either of those though.

You never know. It is possible to take points off of Hibs after all :) 

Plus you have a free week to get over losing your manager 

lol I think I must have written that whilst in a state of post Locke delirium. There's certainly a lot of work to be done but I'm banking on the new manager actually being able to manage and organise a squad that should be top four.

17 minutes ago, port-ton said:

just how much of an epic failure St Mirren's season has been.

Can't argue with that. Just proves that very few people were looking at our squad and pointing and laughing: the consensus was that we had signed well. The 'imbalance' issue has been covered ad nauseam: in reality, it's whataboutery and there can be no excuse for how shite we've been.

I think losing football games has just become ingrained at our club since the tail end of 2014. We've seen a new board, new managers, and at least two squads' worth of players come in, yet the habit remains. It's bordering on inexplicable, TBH.

Tough to shake that stench of failure, and I think it'll take a really talented, special manager to do so. 

16 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Tough to shake that stench of failure, and I think it'll take a really talented, special manager to do so. 

Here to answer at least one half of the call: 

_67411638_8457142.jpg.d8f0890bada1ddb74867115e5c8736e9.jpg

Can't argue with that. Just proves that very few people were looking at our squad and pointing and laughing: the consensus was that we had signed well. The 'imbalance' issue has been covered ad nauseam: in reality, it's whataboutery and there can be no excuse for how shite we've been.
I think losing football games has just become ingrained at our club since the tail end of 2014. We've seen a new board, new managers, and at least two squads' worth of players come in, yet the habit remains. It's bordering on inexplicable, TBH.

Saint Mirren's central midfield options were completely gubbins, even on paper during the summer. Rae did his usual trick of signing lots of strikers though so a majority of posters ignored their flaws elsewhere.

I didn't expect Saint Mirren to go down but the squad was clearly too imbalanced to get in the top 4; Rae's previous squads failed to meet a higher target at this level for the exact same reason.

Here to answer at least one half of the call: 

_67411638_8457142.jpg.d8f0890bada1ddb74867115e5c8736e9.jpg

Kenny Shiels would actually be an excellent manager for any relegated side, rebuilding from a league below with a relatively large budget. He clearly isn't a 'firefighter' type, able to deal with the full scale inferno that he walked into at Morton, but his overall record in management is quite good.

They should go for Barry Ferguson of 'Barry Ferguson's Clyde' instead, who has no such merits or achievements to his name.

Archived