Gordon Strachan

Elixir

5 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

After watching the highlights I'm not so sure. It could've been more.

If the game had gone on ten minutes longer, absolutely.  But we really only started really taking the piss once Malta had well and truly chucked it.  I think they made us look better than we actually were.  Taking nothing away from the team, as they did their business and in some style, but I'm not going to get carried away over it.  

Until we pump Lithuania 8-0.  

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the game had gone on ten minutes longer, absolutely.  But we really only started really taking the piss once Malta had well and truly chucked it.  I think they made us look better than we actually were.  Taking nothing away from the team, as they did their business and in some style, but I'm not going to get carried away over it.  

Until we pump Lithuania 8-0.  

Even in the first half though there was the goal, then Robertsons one on one, Snodgrass header from 6 yards, Robertsons other good chance, to cut it back/score himself. Watching it live and supporting us made it seem worse than it was, looked a breeze on the highlights

Even in the first half though there was the goal, then Robertsons one on one, Snodgrass header from 6 yards, Robertsons other good chance, to cut it back/score himself. Watching it live and supporting us made it seem worse than it was, looked a breeze on the highlights

Yeah just watched it over again. We probably should have scored another 2 or 3. Amazing how different it looked without the usual terror that goes with watching live. Snodgrass n ritchie looked even better on highlights. Would still like that ref for all our other games tho

They were threatening us though, and arguably should've taken the lead just before ht.

5-1 didn't flatter us in the end, but that all came down to a shocking decision which gave us a goal and a man advantage. After that it was a breeze and more goals came.

But let's not kid ourselves, even at 2-1 up they were well in the game. We did start the second half with more intensity but goals change games.

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

That's the highlights though.  I doubt they showed most of the first half where the game was absolute dog shit.

We definitely had chances, but we laboured at it at times 

They were threatening us though, and arguably should've taken the lead just before ht.

5-1 didn't flatter us in the end, but that all came down to a shocking decision which gave us a goal and a man advantage. After that it was a breeze and more goals came.

But let's not kid ourselves, even at 2-1 up they were well in the game. We did start the second half with more intensity but goals change games.

Not sure 5-1 was solely down to the red. We were starting to take a firm grip of the game already and the penalty came from another really good chance that we should have taken

Not that it makes much difference, I just don't see the point in trying to take anything away from the performance

Not sure 5-1 was solely down to the red. We were starting to take a firm grip of the game already and the penalty came from another really good chance that we should have taken

Not that it makes much difference, I just don't see the point in trying to take anything away from the performance

Aye but it's also easy to turn that round and say I don't see the point in getting carried away.

A balanced view of the game is what we're after. Quite a few positives but let's not forget that was the second easiest game in the group and at half time we didn't look too clever.

Job done though, with the bonus of the 4 goal margin. Onwards and upwards.

Until the first-half wobble, i felt we could have easily hit them for five or six without the decisions. The response, it has to be said, was good, professional and certainly not the players fault that with all due respect, Malta are one of the worst teams in the world. I remember the struggles against Luxembourg, Iceland, and against Cyprus in 89, and the scares we've had off Estonia and the Faroes.....these games can turn very easily into a fucking nightmare, and Strachan kept the heads focused and well-drilled to make sure it didn't happen. Well done to all on a solid, satisfying start. Minimum four points from October is a must. 

Until the first-half wobble, i felt we could have easily hit them for five or six without the decisions. The response, it has to be said, was good, professional and certainly not the players fault that with all due respect, Malta are one of the worst teams in the world. I remember the struggles against Luxembourg, Iceland, and against Cyprus in 89, and the scares we've had off Estonia and the Faroes.....these games can turn very easily into a fucking nightmare, and Strachan kept the heads focused and well-drilled to make sure it didn't happen. Well done to all on a solid, satisfying start. Minimum four points from October is a must. 

Yep. Noone is booking tickets for Russia on basis of one game but it's nice to watch last 15or 20 mins of one of these games without it being a panic. We rarely score 5 away from home so credit where it's due

4 hours ago, forameus said:

Realistically though, he didn't really do anything different to usual.  He played pretty much exactly the same system, only this time we got a fair bit of the rub of the green, and benefited from Malta absolutely chucking it late on.

Just shows what the result and hindsight does.  And having Snodgrass back.

he maybe played the same system, but the difference in the team when you actually have midfielders that can play football instead of scott brown and to an extent mccarthur (wee bit harsh on mccarthur, he just isnt really good for attacking play, brown is fucking hopeless though)

strachan could easily have tried to shitfest the game but he played the players that would open it up and allow us the freedom to attack

he got his team selection spot on, even martin up front worked well with the guys behind him even if he is a big diddy at times lol

44 minutes ago, Officer Barbrady said:

even though malta are the lowest seeds in the group, he still had to pick the right team to deal with them, and rather than trying to shitfest it and play the way we'll likely play against england etc, he obviously thought, "f**k it, lets go for this mob"

id argue that last nights line up was one of the most attacking line ups scotland has seen for many years, gibraltar withstanding

The midfield actually recycled the ball very well, but against better teams, they'll have to get it forward, or at least to the intended target a lot quicker. Bannan offered a good glimpse of the options without Brown getting in the road, and did enough to merit a significant run in the team going forward. If anything, it's Darren Fletcher who's position is under threat, as he has very rarely featured in a Scottish team with so many options on the front foot. 

5 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

More poor stuff from Strachan where he strives to bully people with less power than him.

I don't find such stuff remotely impressive.

Or indeed hilarious.  Laughing face emoji, crying face emoji, cake emoji.

He belittles people.  

2 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Or indeed hilarious.  Laughing face emoji, crying face emoji, cake emoji.

He belittles people.  

Yes, he belittles people he doesn't know who are merely attempting to do their jobs, by swearing at them when in a working capacity.

The worst side to a personality with a nasty edge.

5 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I've just watched it based on the last few posts.

There's bugger all in that. It's hardly 'hilarious' but there's only so much patience anyone can have. It didn't look like it was being done in a demeaning way.

Not a major crime, but a bit unpleasant.

It was posted to invite comment.  I hate that side to Strachan.

More poor stuff from Strachan where he strives to bully people with less power than him.

I don't find such stuff remotely impressive.

Yip....I feel he let himself down a bit there...I can't imagine too many top managers acting like that.

Archived