Gordon Strachan

Elixir

Accepting option 1 is to accept that our FA are utter shitebags.

Oh, and the "we did well" thing is a bit more meaningful than you seem to think, and completely indicative of what's wrong with him. If he was to say the players we have are better than they showed, it'd have shown that he has faith that they are capable of qualifying from capable groups. Instead he did what he always did, and undervalued his squad.

So we'll go with option three, and just hope that he proves me wrong in this campaign, without accepting that the FA are happy to accept failure.

You can't have option 3. Support the team and hope you're proved wrong is option 1.

I'm happy to take out 'accept the decision' from the official documentation (even though that's clearly what you're doing if you're actually going to support the team).

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No. It's easy to want a side to do well regardless of if you accept their decisions. That's if you actually want them to do well of course and not just a fair weather fan.

I think you want the best of both worlds. I think you want to support them if they're winning and turn into 'I told you so' the minute they concede.

Please tell me you're not one of these folk.

That last qualifying campaign hurt badly. Strachan admitted he couldn't even bare to watch the Euros nevermind be a pundit for tv and I was the same at first I couldn't stomach watching the euros. I think he has that fire in his belly to make sure we get to the World cup. 

36 minutes ago, Mr Anderson said:

That last qualifying campaign hurt badly. Strachan admitted he couldn't even bare to watch the Euros nevermind be a pundit for tv and I was the same at first I couldn't stomach watching the euros. I think he has that fire in his belly to make sure we get to the World cup. 

Yes, that's definitely the vital ingredient in successful management - fire in the belly.

What undiluted, infantile drivel.

I don't agree at all with the sentiment about Strachan's utterances not mattering.

If someone comes out with nonsense that insults the intelligence,that proves he has unjustified contempt for anyone who questions him, then I think that's pretty telling.

Why on earth should that be discarded?  It's not as if he can point to a record that offsets the annoyance.

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

I don't agree at all with the sentiment about Strachan's utterances not mattering.

If someone comes out with nonsense that insults the intelligence,that proves he has unjustified contempt for anyone who questions him, then I think that's pretty telling.

Why on earth should that be discarded?  It's not as if he can point to a record that offsets the annoyance.

The majority of the football journos in this country are w@nks. I know it's unprofessional ect and it might be seen as being disrespectful to the fans but he treats the idiots the way they deserve to be treated. If Strachan gives it to morons like Keith Jackson with both barrels I won't be shedding a tear. 

I have disagreed with him on a few things though, punting Rangers, Hearts and Hibs into the big league annoyed me but seeing it from his point of view he wants the biggest clubs playing in the biggest leagues so he has more Scottish players playing at the highest level to choose from, shook my head in disbelief when I heard that though.

7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, that's definitely the vital ingredient in successful management - fire in the belly.

I didn't say it was the vital ingredient in succesful management. 

It's pretty much been said already but it's the questions and the whole media circus that insults the intelligence.

That's not what was being said. It was about whether his heart was in the job.

Strachan always impressed me when discussing tactics as a pundit. I don't think anyone has accused him of being an old school 'fire in the belly' manager.

Just now, pandarilla said:

It's pretty much been said already but it's the questions and the whole media circus that insults the intelligence.

It's a lazy generalisation that says all the journalists are cretins.

When pressed on things, he behaves like a classless wee dick.  He does the same with foreign journalists.  Let's not flatter Strachan by saying he's striking at the press on our behalf.  His views regarding our game and how it should operate, are more offensive than anything even the SMSM come out with.

The current criticism towards Strachan is unbelievable.
I admire the way he responds to the stupid questions from the media, for the most part their questions are tiresome and repetitive.
Other reasons for the current witch hunt appear to be his interview during the Euros and his non selection of McCormack.
He's not the first coach to ignore him, the player is 30 now so there's a long list of coaches who haven't seen fit to build their team round him.
If we lose our first 2 games get ripped into him but maybe wait till he's failed aye?

It's a lazy generalisation that says all the journalists are cretins.

When pressed on things, he behaves like a classless wee dick.  He does the same with foreign journalists.  Let's not flatter Strachan by saying he's striking at the press on our behalf.  His views regarding our game and how it should operate, are more offensive than anything even the SMSM come out with.

I certainly didn't say all journalists were cretins. There is a 24 hour media industry and the same questions get discussed ad nauseum.

His views on the game don't necessarily matter either. His job is to pick the team and get the results. The first campaign obviously ended in failure but in the aftermath of that it was decided to giver him another go. I think that was the right decision and I think a majority of fans agree.

Archived