Gordon Strachan

Elixir

^^^ Agree with this. Reynolds has declined really quickly in the last year or so. Jack is having a really good season but I'm not sure he'll cut it for Scotland (and he's injured now anyway). McLean evidently disappointed when he got his cap, and hasn't been great for Aberdeen recently. Our best players aren't Scottish.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, resk said:

^^^ Agree with this. Reynolds has declined really quickly in the last year or so. Jack is having a really good season but I'm not sure he'll cut it for Scotland (and he's injured now anyway). McLean evidently disappointed when he got his cap, and hasn't been great for Aberdeen recently. Our best players aren't Scottish.

Snodgrass is our best player and he's Scottish.

McCormack is one of our best players who Strachan refuses to pick and he's Scottish.

Griffiths is red hot just now and should be our first choice striker and he's Scottish.

I don't agree that our best players aren't Scottish but I do understand that the English borns make a huge difference to the squad. One who I would have in the squad is Matt Phillips, but Strachan would rather choose McKay (mental)

1 hour ago, Underpants Gnome said:

McCormack is one of our best players who Strachan refuses to pick and he's Scottish.

Griffiths is red hot just now and should be our first choice striker and he's Scottish.

I don't agree that our best players aren't Scottish but I do understand that the English borns make a huge difference to the squad. One who I would have in the squad is Matt Phillips, but Strachan would rather choose McKay (mental)

When did Aberdeen sign them?

1 hour ago, Underpants Gnome said:

He was quite clearly talking about Aberdeen's best players not being Scottish.

Please stop.

On a different note, what we reckon will be the team for Sunday? I reckon it will be this:

Marshall

Hutton ( It shouldn't be but Strachan adores him despite his lack of Club games)

Martin

Hanley

Robertson

Fletcher

McArthur

Forrest ( He is on Fire, he deserves it)

Ritchie

Burke (If Snodgrass Injured)

Griffiths ( The Slothman Fletcher will start if Griffiths Injured)

Really cannot see Steven FFing Fletcher getting an automatic start unless Griffiths is injured, if Fletcher were to still start even with Griffiths fit then I think it would prove all us Strachan haters right. Quite simply one is on fire, the other isn't, it really is a no brainer.

I slate Hutton all the time but I am willing to forgive his continual inclusion if it means a gradual phasing in of Patterson by the end of the campaign.

Truly hope Burke gets a Start as I think we need to be using players bang in form and high In confidence but Forrest has started just as well as him, one of them will miss out as starting two players who are playing and in form is just too radical an option for Strachan.

Strachan has his faves though and that is evident in his decision making at times, for example I think it is more likely you would see Anya, jettisoned by Watford, coming in from the bench than say Burke or Forrest.

Simply, Strachan has to get this team selection right for a change or he will have nowhere to hide.

16 minutes ago, troopio said:

On a different note, what we reckon will be the team for Sunday? I reckon it will be this:

Marshall

Hutton ( It shouldn't be but Strachan adores him despite his lack of Club games)

Martin

Hanley

Robertson

Fletcher

McArthur

Forrest ( He is on Fire, he deserves it)

Ritchie

Burke (If Snodgrass Injured)

Griffiths ( The Slothman Fletcher will start if Griffiths Injured)

Really cannot see Steven FFing Fletcher getting an automatic start unless Griffiths is injured, if Fletcher were to still start even with Griffiths fit then I think it would prove all us Strachan haters right. Quite simply one is on fire, the other isn't, it really is a no brainer.

I slate Hutton all the time but I am willing to forgive his continual inclusion if it means a gradual phasing in of Patterson by the end of the campaign.

Truly hope Burke gets a Start as I think we need to be using players bang in form and high In confidence but Forrest has started just as well as him, one of them will miss out as starting two players who are playing and in form is just too radical an option for Strachan.

Strachan has his faves though and that is evident in his decision making at times, for example I think it is more likely you would see Anya, jettisoned by Watford, coming in from the bench than say Burke or Forrest.

Simply, Strachan has to get this team selection right for a change or he will have nowhere to hide.

I'd probably go along with your team to be honest.  Perhaps he'll try Callum Paterson at right back given it's one of the lower pressure games, but I'd imagine he'd want to keep things as safe as possible.  

I also hope Burke gets a start, but seeing who we have available, he might still not get in.  Forrest is playing very, very well.  Snodgrass should be a stick on if he's fit.  That only leaves one more spot.  

It all really depends how he plans on playing on a lot of the spots in the team.  Is he going to stick with 4-2-3-1?  If so, he may well start Fletcher, and I don't it says anything as melodramatic as you've put.  All it will prove is that he believes he was the best option at the time.  That could be down to a mixture of his fitness or the things he's going to be asking his forward to do.

Personally if Griffiths is fit, I've always said I'd like to see Fletcher behind Griffiths to make something more akin to a 4-4-1-1, but I'd concede that the players we have available behind the strikers will probably make this a poorer option.  If Snodgrass is ruled out, I don't see any issue with what I said, with Burke/Forrest/Ritchie flanking.  Probably dropping the latter with a view to bringing him on at some point.

If we win, then it doesn't really matter how we've done it.  There's enough new faces - and returning ones - to make it a bit different as to how we finished the last campaign and the few friendlies.  We might not hit the ground running, but as long as we win that's not going to be the end of the World.  As long as we pitch up in Slovakia with a better formed idea, it's all good.

18 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

When did Aberdeen sign them?

Shit, my bad.

18 hours ago, craigkillie said:

He was quite clearly talking about Aberdeen's best players not being Scottish.

Was a long day at work, mate. Sorry :wacko:

18 hours ago, Bobby Skidmarks said:

Please stop.

I've already been told twice. 3rd time is just following the crowd bud ;)

On 8/29/2016 at 08:52, troopio said:

As a fellow Dons Fan can you really say ATM there are any Dons Players, Scottish Ones, who are performing better than those in the Squad just now? Do not get me wrong In the past I fully agree Dons Players have been shafted but IMO there are no Dons Players deserving of it. Sadly Shinnie is playing at a time when we seem to have quality LB options in an abundance. That is just the reality just now

Shinnie is currently a better player, more versatile, with more experience and is stronger than the relatively light-weight teenager Kieran Tierney. I'm not suggesting he is not worthy of consideration but, that's what the u21's are for.  I just want to see players get their opportunity, inclusion in the national squad can be of enormous benefit to individuals and to their clubs and Shinnie has more than earned his opportunity.

Shinnie can have reason to feel fucked aff, given that this time last year, the other two were nowhere to be found. He deserved a chance certainly ahead of Forsyth also, who imo stands out as an easy target for criticism over his Dublin display, to be virtually never seen again. 

I have no issue with Strachan making the calls he needs to make with selection, but there's always something shifty and snidey about when he is asked about them. It shows a real lack of knowledge about the players, and a horrible lack of class to mock their efforts with his cheeky b*****d responses. 

Archived