Gordon Strachan

Elixir

Astonished to read today that Strachan and his A squad coaching team take no involvement whatsoever in U21 squad selection. Ricky Sbragia just picks whoever he fancies.

McGhee has revealed that he and Strachan surprisingly have no influence or involvement in selection for the U21s.

He said: "I am surprised Chris Cadden has been omitted and I'm really disappointed... Gordon and I made a very conscious decision when we came into the job that we would deal with our squad and wouldn't interfere.

McGhee has revealed that he scarcely sees Sbragia and has not discussed the situation with him... He added: "It's up to Ricky to pick his squad just as it's up to us to pick our squad".

Surely there should be a joined-up system identifying and bringing through, especially if they're trying to foster particular tactics and a "Scottish style of play" through the age-levels.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Both. emoji34.png

Dads made up for it big time in recent years tbf but Robbie is still an arsehole.

I'm a big fan of his 2002 album 'Escapology'.  There's some 10 on 10 bangers on that.

I'm a big fan of his 2002 album 'Escapology'.  There's some 10 on 10 bangers on that.

Angels secretly does it for me. Also I quite like the I don't wanna Rock DJ song because it brings back a very specific memory for me, mum was listening to it whilst building living room furniture and a 90th minute goal to make it 3-2 by George Rowe goal was scored by Arbroath away to St Mirren on Soccer Saturday.

This is much more enjoyable than talking about Scotland.

I think more Robbie Williams turns up at charity shops than any other modern-day singer or group. Lichtie, if your maw ever fancies living in a house made of his CDs/DVDs, I can probably arrange it.

...and still have plenty left over for recycling  :(

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Astonished to read today that Strachan and his A squad coaching team take no involvement whatsoever in U21 squad selection. Ricky Sbragia just picks whoever he fancies.

McGhee has revealed that he and Strachan surprisingly have no influence or involvement in selection for the U21s.

He said: "I am surprised Chris Cadden has been omitted and I'm really disappointed... Gordon and I made a very conscious decision when we came into the job that we would deal with our squad and wouldn't interfere.

McGhee has revealed that he scarcely sees Sbragia and has not discussed the situation with him... He added: "It's up to Ricky to pick his squad just as it's up to us to pick our squad".

Surely there should be a joined-up system identifying and bringing through, especially if they're trying to foster particular tactics and a "Scottish style of play" through the age-levels.

Sadly, I'm not that surprised.

When's this blueprint coming out anyway, or have I missed it?

35 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

^ I am in no way surprised by this or McGhee making a total flange of himself in public about it.  A Scotland managerial career entirely focused on excluding Aberdeen players and he has the cheek to go have a tantrum to the press about an u21's cap. p***k.

What?

6 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Angels secretly does it for me. Also I quite like the I don't wanna Rock DJ song because it brings back a very specific memory for me, mum was listening to it whilst building living room furniture and a 90th minute goal to make it 3-2 by George Rowe goal was scored by Arbroath away to St Mirren on Soccer Saturday.

This is much more enjoyable than talking about Scotland.

'Feel' is far and away Robbie's greatest moment.  No idea what album it's on, right enough.

I make it just the 4 Aberdeen players who have been called up since McGhee was involved with Scotland (Jack, Reynolds, Shinnie, McLean), so I can understand the fury.  Presumably Andrew Considine or Peter Pawlett should also have been in there at some point.

Sfa is farcical....why would Strachan allow this? I know plenty of his apologists will find excuses but this is piss poor

I make it just the 4 Aberdeen players who have been called up since McGhee was involved with Scotland (Jack, Reynolds, Shinnie, McLean), so I can understand the fury.  Presumably Andrew Considine or Peter Pawlett should also have been in there at some point.

Think Pawlett did get called up into a squad too?

The fact Rickyasauris sgbria or wat ever he is called, as actually allowed to manage our u21s says everything we need to know about the clowns running our game.  Seriously this is the man who is in charge of the next batch of players being groomed to 1 day play for the 1st team.  Madness

On ‎26‎-‎08‎-‎2016 at 16:12, williemillersmoustache said:

^ I am in no way surprised by this or McGhee making a total flange of himself in public about it.  A Scotland managerial career entirely focused on excluding Aberdeen players and he has the cheek to go have a tantrum to the press about an u21's cap. p***k.

As a fellow Dons Fan can you really say ATM there are any Dons Players, Scottish Ones, who are performing better than those in the Squad just now? Do not get me wrong In the past I fully agree Dons Players have been shafted but IMO there are no Dons Players deserving of it. Sadly Shinnie is playing at a time when we seem to have quality LB options in an abundance. That is just the reality just now

Archived