Champions League 2016/17

lichtie23

29 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

Yeah it really frustrates me when people don't call them Bayern Munchen.

Munich is just the English translation of Munchen. Atletico and Athletico, are completely different.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Only one letter
No more different than Atletico and the correct spelling (Atlético)

Well no, the only difference is Anglicizing the name, whereas before it was being spelt wrong. Please try and find another pedantically tedious way of white knighting lichtie though.

Well no, the only difference is Anglicizing the name, whereas before it was being spelt wrong. Please try and find another pedantically tedious way of white knighting lichtie though.

I figured that the best way to counter pedantic tedium was to be more pedantic and tedious and hope people would see what I was doing

I now realise this was bad

Please forgive me

3 hours ago, KingQuerrey said:

You'd have to be on the deep end of autistic spectrum to care about someone calling it Athletico.

Extra autism points if you actually pronounce it "Atletico" in speech.

2 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Calling them Athletico is stupid because it's simply wrong, but the British people who come out with Atleti are arguably worse IMO. It's a cringey "I know so much about European football, I call teams by the name the locals do" type thing. 

How on earth is calling them Atletico bad? I call them Atletico because it's their correct fucking name, not because I'm autistic or some show-off hipster w****r.

15 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Munich is just the English translation of Munchen. Atletico and Athletico, are completely different.

So why not, as another poster suggested, anglicize the first part also? Bayern München oder Bavaria Munich...

The club was originally Athletic Club de Madrid. General Franco forced them to change their name. Given you clearly support Franco's view on this, you are nothing but a facist...

The club was originally Athletic Club de Madrid. General Franco forced them to change their name. Given you clearly support Franco's view on this, you are nothing but a facist...

So Athletico is as much a partial hispanification as a partial anglicisation.

Thanks

I think we've all learned something

On 16 September 2016 at 00:37, eez-eh said:

How on earth is calling them Atletico bad? I call them Atletico because it's their correct fucking name, not because I'm autistic or some show-off hipster w****r.

Maybe you should actually read my post. I'm saying precisely that people should call them Atletico because that's their name. Not Athletico (wrong) or Atleti (hipster w****r).

2 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Maybe you should actually read my post. I'm saying precisely that people should call them Atletico because that's their name. Not Athletico (wrong) or Atleti (hipster w****r).

My bad. Caught the wrong end of the stick there.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived