Black Friday - financial crash thread

ICTChris

3 hours ago, strichener said:

And what about the young people that do get involved in the political process? 

The reality is that the reason that pensioners are able to go out and vote is because then have f**k all else to do.  Going to the polling station is only a minor inconvenience to their planned free day trip to Largs on the bus so that they can have a cup of coffee and an ice cream with other pensioners before heading back home again.

I have sympathy for those who do go out and vote but young people not bothering their arse is a real problem in this country. I have heard countless times folk saying 'what's the point, it makes no difference' when clearly it does. Older generations don't like change and tend to vote quite selfishly.

Article from 2015.  Table (for the hard of thinking) from 2014.  I imagine all these European countries are facing the same issues as the UK but I doubt the posters on Tapas & Vino or Sauerkraut & Beer are getting overly excited.

https://www.nutmeg.com/nutmegonomics/the-state-pension-uk-vs-europe/

image.jpg

48 minutes ago, jakedee said:

The people actually paying the contribution may have been the pensioners who contributed to this all their working lives. Maybe if the government didn't squander thes contributions a decent pension would be achievable. This is also not taking into account contributors that don't reach pension age.

This! Plus the pensioners of just now paid tax when they were economically active ( at a higher rate than just now ) which would have gone to the , then older generation. At the same time they were subsidising the education of their youngers.

This is how a compassionate caring society should work (I know there are imperfections )

Or you could just be a selfish me me me c*nt

Article from 2015. Table (for the hard of thinking) from 2014. I imagine all these European countries are facing the same issues as the UK but I doubt the posters on Tapas & Vino or Sauerkraut & Beer are getting overly excited.

https://www.nutmeg.com/nutmegonomics/the-state-pension-uk-vs-europe/

i image.jpg

So the 4th largest economy in the world pays the 20th highest pension in Europe,seems fair.

15 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Yet again the markets are hitting new heights.

Can't wait for the inevitable correction to be blamed on Brexit.

Usaully around September/October we have the falls but this year it will all be blamed on the vote.

Markets rising as sterling continues falling. What will be interesting to see is whether sterling rises when the markets fall.

Yet again the markets are hitting new heights.

Can't wait for the inevitable correction to be blamed on Brexit.

Usaully around September/October we have the falls but this year it will all be blamed on the vote.

Article 50 hasn't even been invoked and even when it is its a 2yr countdown....it'll be another 2 years after that that the shit storm hits the uk economy selling stuff Europe gets better n cheaper elsewhere n we are buying stuff we desperately need cos thatcher n Blair fecked manufacturing here n the Yoons suddenly realise that the grand empire isn't self sufficient and is a net importer.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/the-everyday-things-becoming-more-expensive-after-brexit-101631190.html

Chippers to be more expensive after Brexit. Can I change my vote now? :(

Analysts say that fish and chips, petrol and holidays are becoming more expensive - and the price of electronics is already shooting skywards.

Concerns over Brexit have led to a historic slump in the pound - reaching 31-year-lows over the past fortnight - and that’s having an effect on prices.

The plunging pound may make imports pricier, including the cod and haddock used by roughly 10,500 fish and chip shops in the UK - and the 380 million meals they serve up each year.

Begs the question why are we importing cod and haddock?

Edited by Suspect Device

The immediate aftermath of the referendum represents Sterling's high point since the vote - a level which it has not reached since. But it's just a market overreaction, right? 

Currently at a new 52 week low against the Euro as well. 

Won't be too long until inflation starts to hit. 

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/the-everyday-things-becoming-more-expensive-after-brexit-101631190.html

Chippers to be more expensive after Brexit. Can I change my vote now? [emoji20]

Begs the question why are we importing cod and haddock?

A: Because the sea bumpkins in your neck of the woods chronically overfished the waters, being too thick and selfish to understand how stock preservation works.

3 hours ago, vikingTON said:

A: Because the sea bumpkins in your neck of the woods chronically overfished the waters, being too thick and selfish to understand how stock preservation works.

You will find that the "sea bumpkins" in your neck of the woods have contributed far more to the overfishing of cod than the North Sea fishermen.  Of course the EU itself has previously acknowledged that their own CFP (based on scientific advice) was flawed and contributed to the problem rather than helped address it.  But carry on posting your uniformed and ignorant opinions.

I don't claim to be a financial wizard.

Last crash 2008, lessons learned by perpetrators - zero. Imo, they should have given financial impetus to middle classes and below. Reset credit ratings where possible. Those people will spend and economy will improve.

They have done the opposite and further enriched themselves and elite. The greed shows no abating, and last crisis isn't even on their mind, as they chase the next crooked pound.

How's that Quantative Easing going?

When you are robbing poor and disabled, incentivising people to spend their last, pensions/savings etc. You know it's games a bogey.

I get e-mails every day from my SIPP provider.  Today's lunchtime one saying the markets had fallen slightly as better than expected employment figures and drop in jobless claims "failed to lift investors' spirits".  So apparently good news on employment is bad for the markets!  :1eye

27 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I get e-mails every day from my SIPP provider.  Today's lunchtime one saying the markets had fallen slightly as better than expected employment figures and drop in jobless claims "failed to lift investors' spirits".  So apparently good news on employment is bad for the markets!  :1eye

It's like the old "XYZ Co announced a 1 billion pound profit for the year. Shares are down 5%". It appears to be good news but some will have expected better and more will have decided to see just how good it was before deciding to stick or twist.

2 hours ago, Ross. said:

It's like the old "XYZ Co announced a 1 billion pound profit for the year. Shares are down 5%". It appears to be good news but some will have expected better and more will have decided to see just how good it was before deciding to stick or twist.

Yeah I get that rationale but the employment/unemployment figures appeared to have exceeded expectations.

Anyway, another £1k+ wiped off the pension fund today.  :(