Hibernian Championship Thread 2016/17

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the last few weeks have highlighted the squads (and Lennons) complete inability to deal with midweek games. On the face of it there probably should have been more rotation to rest McGinn, drop Fyvie and Gray who looks like he needs a rest. Is it down to a lack of fitness? I'm not sure if Lennon take full responsibility for that surely the players need to ensure they're fit enough to cope with the demands a cup run brings?

We're now back to 1 game a week for the next 3 which are going to be crucial. Utd away, Dumbarton then Falkirk. Cannot lose against Utd then we have to be taking 6 points from the next 2 games.

Saturday now becomes really important to get a good performance as well as a result to get confidence back for Utd away.

Seen people say going out of the cup wouldn't be a bad thing and I understand why but some of the players look so short on confidence at the moment that a loss on Saturday looks like it could crush them. 

I don't go for the fitness/tiredness excuse as these players always raise their game when they feel like it.  I'm a bit of a traditionalist as well in that a professional sportsman should be able to handle the workload that they have.

A win Saturday then a point at Tannadice and everyone will be breathing easily again, 3 points next Friday will have us close to cigars out time with the arabs having 10 games to close down a 10 point (and superior GD) gap.

6 minutes ago, Kool Keith said:

Seen people say going out of the cup wouldn't be a bad thing and I understand why but some of the players look so short on confidence at the moment that a loss on Saturday looks like it could crush them. 

I don't go for the fitness/tiredness excuse as these players always raise their game when they feel like it.  I'm a bit of a traditionalist as well in that a professional sportsman should be able to handle the workload that they have.

A win Saturday then a point at Tannadice and everyone will be breathing easily again, 3 points next Friday will have us close to cigars out time with the arabs having 10 games to close down a 10 point (and superior GD) gap.

You don't need to worry about us.  We will Hibs it.

It's not far from being in your hands tbh.  3 points next Friday and a win against St Mirren with your game in hand will have you a point behind.  Only consolation for us is that you must be absolutely brutal if you're still 7 points behind Hibs.

6 minutes ago, Kool Keith said:

It's not far from being in your hands tbh.  3 points next Friday and a win against St Mirren with your game in hand will have you a point behind.  Only consolation for us is that you must be absolutely brutal if you're still 7 points behind Hibs.

We are absolutely brutal.

Width. Pace. Urgency.

It's that simple. When we play with those three things, we win.

And when I say width, I don't mean Gray and Stevenson playing an uncomfortable wing back position, I mean genuine wingers

What's interesting/deeply frustrating about these last two games is that we've started dropping points in a completely different fashion to usual. Dunfermline and St Mirren have genuinely outplayed and outfought us, unlike Ayr and Raith who got their goal and tried to sit in and hope we wouldn't equalise.

We need to find a way of countering this, because other sides in this league must surely be waking up to the fact that we're there for the taking right now.

15 minutes ago, LondonHibsFan said:

What's interesting/deeply frustrating about these last two games is that we've started dropping points in a completely different fashion to usual. Dunfermline and St Mirren have genuinely outplayed and outfought us, unlike Ayr and Raith who got their goal and tried to sit in and hope we wouldn't equalise.

We need to find a way of countering this, because other sides in this league must surely be waking up to the fact that we're there for the taking right now.

Yeah, there's no parking the bus excuse anymore.  Hoping for a Hanlon return sometime soon, his loss has been huge.

Just now, Kool Keith said:

The club have been very tight lipped about the injury situation just now so I'm assuming the worst.

Yeah I tried searching it but nothing comes up at all strangely.  He's probably done in that case then. 

5 hours ago, Kool Keith said:

I agree, they absolutely should be able to handle their workload and if fitness is an issue questions need to be asked of both players and manager. However, for me, the mistakes made by Gray and McGinn in particular recently look like players with heavy legs rather than players that aren't motivated.

Like you said though, a win on Saturday and a win on Friday and things will look much rosier.

3 hours ago, Kool Keith said:

This league is poor this year.  I'm still confident Hibs will win, will be interesting to see where we're at after the game at Tannadice and once they've played their game in hand.

Seriously, we are dreadful. The fact that we still have a shot of winning the league shows how bloody awful this league is.

7 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Can't see you not this league the worst Championship in years.

The 2012/13 division was of a far poorer standard, just four years ago:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012–13_Scottish_First_Division

The inaugural season of The Championship in 2013/14 was of a piss-poor standard as well, comfortably beneath this campaign at both the top and bottom of the division.  

Archived