Next UK Labour Leader - post Brexit

FlyerTon

Next UK Labour Leader - post Brexit  

125 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Cream Cheese said:

It's a sham. They've already paid their money with the offer of being able to vote in the leadership election. The ruling is unlawful.

I would have thought that given its a court ruling then that's the definition of lawful.  On an issue like this is there a further level of appeal?

I would have thought that given its a court ruling then that's the definition of lawful.  On an issue like this is there a further level of appeal?

Lawful or not the fact the labour party don't want labour members to have a vote is shameful. The total opposite of democracy.

38 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

They have been denied leave to appeal and have had 30K worth of costs awarded against them.

They really should die quietly.

57 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

A court ruling based on evidence and fact is perfectly legal. Clearly this one wasn't. There's absolutely no logic in this ruling. What possible argument could they have put forward to justify this court ruling?

30 minutes ago, Cream Cheese said:

A court ruling based on evidence and fact is perfectly legal. Clearly this one wasn't. There's absolutely no logic in this ruling. What possible argument could they have put forward to justify this court ruling?

WTF? 

Given that you have no idea of the evidence presented, arguments made or the full judgement, the only thing showing a lack of logic here is your posting

Just now, strichener said:

WTF? 

Given that you have no idea of the evidence presented, arguments made or the full judgement, the only thing showing a lack of logic here is your posting

Why shouldn't public be made aware of the evidence presented then? We're kept in the dark and told just to accept whatever the ruling is without question.

Here's how it appears on the surface - People joined the labour party and paid the membership fee in order to do so. They did so under the understanding that they would be able to vote in the leadership contest. Labour are then able to overturn a court ruling which allows them to change rules right now, which negatively impact members who joined while the rules were different.

Seeing as we don't actually know what evidence was presented in order to achieve this ruling, we can only speculate. Still can't come up with any possible evidence that could have been presented though and neither can you.

Why shouldn't public be made aware of the evidence presented then? We're kept in the dark and told just to accept whatever the ruling is without question.

Here's how it appears on the surface - People joined the labour party and paid the membership fee in order to do so. They did so under the understanding that they would be able to vote in the leadership contest. Labour are then able to overturn a court ruling which allows them to change rules right now, which negatively impact members who joined while the rules were different.

Seeing as we don't actually know what evidence was presented in order to achieve this ruling, we can only speculate. Still can't come up with any possible evidence that could have been presented though and neither can you.

Are you a member?

54 minutes ago, Cream Cheese said:

The public are more than welcome to attend the court proceedings.  I have no doubt that the judgement will be published in due course should you wish to critique the process and reasons.  The basis of the success of the appeal would appear to be that the High Court judge determined that the NEC are ultimately responsible for setting the rules around the leadership process and therefore the process was legitimate.

I wonder how split the NEC was on this and if the recent changes in the CLP section will have an impact on such decisions in future.  At the moment the PLP and Local Authorities are dominated by right wingers but hopefully this will change with deselection so that those holding elected office will become more representative of the wider membership.

I wonder how split the NEC was on this and if the recent changes in the CLP section will have an impact on such decisions in future.  At the moment the PLP and Local Authorities are dominated by right wingers but hopefully this will change with deselection so that those holding elected office will become more representative of the wider membership.

I think he is still one short of a majority. I've not followed it closely but I think there was a plan to get rid of Ian McNicol but Momentum are just short of the numbers to do so. I may be wrong though.

44 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

I think he is still one short of a majority. I've not followed it closely but I think there was a plan to get rid of Ian McNicol but Momentum are just short of the numbers to do so. I may be wrong though.

They really are showing how moronic they are by trying to mess with McNicol.

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

What is "representative of the wider membership" though?

Archived