Red Dead Redemption

Johnstoun

Got this for my Christmas, downloaded in about 2 hours or so, which is quicker than I expected.

Hosting the meal this year, but from about 7/8 tonight I'll have absolutely nothing to do, bar see some family tomorrow, until the 3rd.

Hope this game matches the hype.

Got this for my Christmas, downloaded in about 2 hours or so, which is quicker than I expected.
Hosting the meal this year, but from about 7/8 tonight I'll have absolutely nothing to do, bar see some family tomorrow, until the 3rd.
Hope this game matches the hype.

Imagine the exact opposite of your posting style. That’s how good the game is.

Plan is to buy this tomorrow and then use it as a means to keep me mostly indoors at the weekends until 18th January (mate's house party!), therefore saving me lots of cash after a bruising December by spending just £50 on this. 
Will my plan work?

Ya man.

Yes, this game is indeed glorious.

I've had my first embarrassing death though, just killed the Legendary Bear, got a bit lost, went to take a short cut and fell off a cliff, survived, but the pelt took off down the hill, went to run after it, it stopped, I tripped over it and fell down a further drop and died.

Wild west y'all

I completed the last of the challenges to obtain 100% completion.  You get a trophy and a poignant cut scene for my efforts.  I have thirty animals to discover and study, so I will do that and then I will start the game again, to complete the two trophies I have missed.  I can't be bothered skinning and killing every animal in the game.  You also need to be attacked 18 times by Grizzly bears and kill the bear for another trophy.

Just now, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Did you not only start this in the last day or two? How have you got to an area with Alligators already? Took me ages before I made it to the swamps.

Was scrapping with some boy on a train to the massive built up city (St Denis?). 

Didn't have my horse so waiting on the bridge until it was all clear to steal one, someone saw, and alerted the law, who appeared within seconds, decided I couldn't outrun them, panicked and jamp in the river to make a getaway, somehow, when a croc started bites at me. Lawmen didn't even bother shooting me at that point, they all just stood watching as the croc came again and finished me off.

Did you not only start this in the last day or two? How have you got to an area with Alligators already? Took me ages before I made it to the swamps.
I accidently made it to St Denis very early and caught the bounty that was hiding in the Fort north of there. Just went for a wander and got carried away

2 hours ago, paul-r-cfc said:
2 hours ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

I accidently made it to St Denis very early and caught the bounty that was hiding in the Fort north of there. Just went for a wander and got carried away

I've done this a lot, it's reminding me heavy of the decent Fallout games (New Vegas, not 4), in that just wandering about brings great joy. 

The karma system is similar to Fallout too, got offered a treasure map, but just pointed my gun at the guy instead and took it, it's great fun being a c**t. Evened it out by stopping a robbery later on, but then robbed the guy anyway :lol:

Easily the best game I've played since New Vegas, and that includes The Witcher.

I actually forgot there was an in - game 100% completion checklist in the "progress" menu and I didn't have to google it :1eye

Just some of the the collectibles and challenges to finish off, some of the challenges are giving me fits, already mentioned the blackjack one which I've not gone back to, the three throwing knives in 10 seconds I've done on at least 3 occasions without it popping, I've read some people say you need to do it in dead eye, some people say doing it with improved throwing knives works. I've waited for gang members to attack me before throwing in case they're not classed as enemies. f**k knows.

I guess there's 100% + completion where you find every animal etc to fill the compendium, I'm on 414/553, most of the animals missing will be birds I think, found 2 new ones in New Austin earlier tonight.

52 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The karma system is similar to Fallout too, got offered a treasure map, but just pointed my gun at the guy instead and took it, it's great fun being a c**t. Evened it out by stopping a robbery later on, but then robbed the guy anyway :lol:

The infamous/famous system has been used in the Red Dead franchise since Revolver was released in early naughties.

43 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

I actually forgot there was an in - game 100% completion checklist in the "progress" menu and I didn't have to google it :1eye

Just some of the the collectibles and challenges to finish off, some of the challenges are giving me fits, already mentioned the blackjack one which I've not gone back to, the three throwing knives in 10 seconds I've done on at least 3 occasions without it popping, I've read some people say you need to do it in dead eye, some people say doing it with improved throwing knives works. I've waited for gang members to attack me before throwing in case they're not classed as enemies. f**k knows.

I guess there's 100% + completion where you find every animal etc to fill the compendium, I'm on 414/553, most of the animals missing will be birds I think, found 2 new ones in New Austin earlier tonight.

I sneaked up on a gang hideout crawled about until I could get three people, and dead eyed them with head shots.   I used improved knives as they give a cleaner kill and are more accurate.  Yeah enemies are only ever marked by a red dot on the map.  The gambling one took ages, I just kept continuing to take a card on 20 in the hope I drew an ace.  Eventually got it.

The ones I had most trouble with is the Tommahawk ones.  A kill from 85 yards, and then using the same tommahawk to kill three consecutive enemies.  Killing four enemies with a stick of dynamite was a pain in the arse too.  I would recommend going to Van Horn to do any killing, as they never Lee Wallace you to the pinkertons or bounty hunters.  All the townsfolk come after you instead.

If you get to the last weapons challenge - killing a grizzly bear with knives without taking damage.  Ensure you are on your horse and have poisoned throwing knives.  Two hits in the head with the poisoned knives kills it.  It was worth sacrificing good old Bert just to complete that mission.

You can gain 100% completion without completing the compendium.  I have about 40 to get and 30 off them are animals.

17 hours ago, Loki said:

The infamous/famous system has been used in the Red Dead franchise since Revolver was released in early naughties.

I sneaked up on a gang hideout crawled about until I could get three people, and dead eyed them with head shots.   I used improved knives as they give a cleaner kill and are more accurate.  Yeah enemies are only ever marked by a red dot on the map.  The gambling one took ages, I just kept continuing to take a card on 20 in the hope I drew an ace.  Eventually got it.

The ones I had most trouble with is the Tommahawk ones.  A kill from 85 yards, and then using the same tommahawk to kill three consecutive enemies.  Killing four enemies with a stick of dynamite was a pain in the arse too.  I would recommend going to Van Horn to do any killing, as they never Lee Wallace you to the pinkertons or bounty hunters.  All the townsfolk come after you instead.

If you get to the last weapons challenge - killing a grizzly bear with knives without taking damage.  Ensure you are on your horse and have poisoned throwing knives.  Two hits in the head with the poisoned knives kills it.  It was worth sacrificing good old Bert just to complete that mission.

You can gain 100% completion without completing the compendium.  I have about 40 to get and 30 off them are animals.

Cheers, I've been using Buell in the epilogue after Kevin Kyle passed away. 

I got the first tomahawk one with a homing one after my best regular attempt was 77/78 yards. Starting to lose a bit of lustre with the riding around trying to collect things. 

I assume they put things like eg the dinosaur bones in the game so you have to see the full map - but they must know full well 99.9% of folk will have to use a guide to find them as there's no way you'd find some of them organically. 

Aye, I got the guide without it you haven't a chance of getting all the bits.  I found two dinosaur bones by chance, one rock carving, I cheated for the cigarette cards by just buying them and discarding them until I got them all.

The flowers and fancy bird plumes for Algernon was a complete waste of time!

On 27/12/2018 at 21:02, Loki said:

I wasn't claiming it was stolen, just that it reminded me of it.

Into Chapter 3 now, feel like I'm going through far too fast. Fishing mission with Dutch and Hosea is superb, the sing a long as you row back to camp was beautiful.

Side mission I'm doing is the zoo animals, got the Zebra no bother, f**k knows how I'm meant to capture a Lion and Tiger though :lol: hopefully becomes clear once I find them.

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I wasn't claiming it was stolen, just that it reminded me of it.

Into Chapter 3 now, feel like I'm going through far too fast. Fishing mission with Dutch and Hosea is superb, the sing a long as you row back to camp was beautiful.

Side mission I'm doing is the zoo animals, got the Zebra no bother, f**k knows how I'm meant to capture a Lion and Tiger though :lol: hopefully becomes clear once I find them.

I had my twin seven year old nieces round when I did that mission.  They were in utter hysterics at the donkey as a zebra, and the dog dressed up as a lion.  That's why I love the game, lots of serious cool missions, and then humorous silly nonsense missions like that.