Red Dead Redemption

Johnstoun

No that was in Undead Nightmare.  The Mission and dialogue was almost identically used in GTA V in the hunting mission for Big Foot.

The trophies are here:

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/game/red-dead-redemption/trophies/

Manifest Destiny - Killing the last buffalo

Edited by Loki

I can understand the clamour to play as John Martson again - he's one of the coolest video game characters I've ever seen - but I don't see the point. His story was perfectly told in Red Dead Redemption and I think a direct prequel would be a bit of a misstep (and might lead to unfavourable comparisons).

I'd rather see a brand new story with new characters in a new location, with perhaps the odd nod to events in RDR.

20 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I'd rather see a brand new story with new characters in a new location, with perhaps the odd nod to events in RDR.

It's that formula that works very well in the GTA series. It'd be quite funny seeing a formerly major character like Bonnie or someone brutally murdered like Johnny Klebitz was in GTA V

15 hours ago, Loki said:

It is definitely a prequel from the trailer, as you can see the buffalo running beside the train.  In redemption you kill the last buffalo as a side mission or trophy can't quite remember.

It definitely looks as if it's set before RDR, but it's not conclusive that it's a prequel to the events of RDR starring Marston, Dutch et al.

12 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I can understand the clamour to play as John Martson again - he's one of the coolest video game characters I've ever seen - but I don't see the point. His story was perfectly told in Red Dead Redemption and I think a direct prequel would be a bit of a misstep (and might lead to unfavourable comparisons).

My worry about it starring Marston would be we'd know how it ends before playing - we know he ran in a gang, and we know he eventually got out of that life after they left him for dead, he went and bought a farm, started a family and then RDR kicked off.  One of the best (worst?) things about RDR was that we had no idea about the ending before it happened.

The more I think about it, I think it might be a new central character with Martson featuring as a NPC.  Perhaps even a young member of the same gang who ends up with a similar crisis of conscience as Marston.

If Marston's not going to feature, I think they might have made that clear before now - there's clearly an expectation he will, so a lot of folk will be disappointed if he isn't the focus.

23 hours ago, Loki said:

It is definitely a prequel from the trailer, as you can see the buffalo running beside the train.  In redemption you kill the last buffalo as a side mission or trophy can't quite remember.

It's for a trophy / achievement, so probably isn't canon.

Yes it certainly doesn't mean it's official, but as Bison were functionally extinct at the same time (1911) in USA and Canada you would still think it would pre date that irrespective if it's a Martson prequel or not. Rockstar put too much effort and detail into their games for it to be missed.

The trailer looks absolutely stunning, Red Dead Redemption is coming to PS Now as well.  So I will sign up for my trial month when that gets released.

• 5 weeks later...

Inspired by the trailer for the new one, I went back and played it again. I never get rid of old games and regularly replay some of my old favourites, but despite this I never actually did a second playthrough of RDR. Having now played again after forgetting much of the storyline, I have no idea why I haven't played it several times.

It's a truly immense game. Marston is a fantastic character who I'd put on a par with Joel from The Last of Us as one of the greatest characters of all time. As ever with Rockstar, the supporting cast is great; West Dickens :lol: Getting 100% completion was a bit of a slog, particularly the hunting challenges - having to go near cougars at all is awful, never mind killing them with a knife - but highly rewarding in the end. I can see myself having another playthrough ahead of the new game being released.

On 21/11/2016 at 18:42, Dunning1874 said:

Inspired by the trailer for the new one, I went back and played it again. I never get rid of old games and regularly replay some of my old favourites, but despite this I never actually did a second playthrough of RDR. Having now played again after forgetting much of the storyline, I have no idea why I haven't played it several times.

It's a truly immense game. Marston is a fantastic character who I'd put on a par with Joel from The Last of Us as one of the greatest characters of all time. As ever with Rockstar, the supporting cast is great; West Dickens :lol: Getting 100% completion was a bit of a slog, particularly the hunting challenges - having to go near cougars at all is awful, never mind killing them with a knife - but highly rewarding in the end. I can see myself having another playthrough ahead of the new game being released.

I've mentioned this earlier in the thread but this is the only game I've ever had 100 per cent completion on. The final task was probably the best - clear out all gang hideouts within 24 hours. Traversing the whole map just shooting bandits, just brilliant.

One of the greatest video games of all time, no doubt about it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...