Clyde vs Killie

Adolfo Rios

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Cille Mhernaig said:

If I offer it to you both at £1.25 each and you're both able to come to some sort of ball custody deal can I temp you back in?

I'm perfectly okay with this.

Onto the game, as Adolfo said, it depends on what sort of team Killie put out. I'd assume it'll be a fairly strong team, in which case, I'll just be looking for us to put in a decent performance and not get horsed. Anything else would be a bonus, really.

2-1 Kilmarnock win, we'll dominate the match for the first 80 or so minutes, then concede a goal and spend the rest of the match defending for our lives. It's the Kilmarnock way. 

I'm perfectly okay with this.

Onto the game, as Adolfo said, it depends on what sort of team Killie put out. I'd assume it'll be a fairly strong team, in which case, I'll just be looking for us to put in a decent performance and not get horsed. Anything else would be a bonus, really.

Just need Adolfo to agree and me to be runner up on the draw and it's all systems go.

Talking of the match, you are correct that it will depend on what sort of team Killie put out today.

The thing is though even the Killie fans don't have a clue what we are going to be like given our personnel turnover and the fact our pre season so far has been a week training in Spain and a closed doors match against an English non league team.

This is the first chance our fans have to see Lee Clark's Killie rather than Lee Clark's patched up and slightly improved version of Gary Locke's killie that we had at the end of last season.

I've faith in Lee Clark doing a good job this season so I'll go for a winning start, 3-0 Killie. Boyd, Coulibaly and McKenzie getting the goals.

Just need Adolfo to agree and me to be runner up on the draw and it's all systems go.

Talking of the match, you are correct that it will depend on what sort of team Killie put out today.

The thing is though even the Killie fans don't have a clue what we are going to be like given our personnel turnover and the fact our pre season so far has been a week training in Spain and a closed doors match against an English non league team.

This is the first chance our fans have to see Lee Clark's Killie rather than Lee Clark's patched up and slightly improved version of Gary Locke's killie that we had at the end of last season.

I've faith in Lee Clark doing a good job this season so I'll go for a winning start, 3-0 Killie. Boyd, Coulibaly and McKenzie getting the goals.

I'm good with the time share idea.

Pleasingly, this was a much more close-run thing than I feared; the visitors looked much more of a newly-wed side than we did. That said, Killie began without their big guns: Boyd, Magennis and others, electing to hedge their bets with a strong bench which had to be called from in order to secure their win.

I don't think it is a stretch to say that Clyde were the better team up until Scott Linton's miss from the spot. We were great in possession: skilful, quick to move the ball and able to carry it at speed up the field, often straight through Kilmarnock. The very organic cooperation between (variously): Easton, Johnston, Lowden, Linton, Higgins, MacDonald, McLaughlin and, less memorably, Flynn, really exercised Killie.

It was quite an enjoyable game to watch from our point of view: the full-backs overlapped, the midfield weaved and jinked and feinted up the field, the forwards brought them into play and, really, the only thing we didn't do was take the lead. Bottom line: we gave a great account of ourselves against an SPL side with a lot of quality in it. Albeit that quality seemed latent for most of this afternoon.

Sometimes playing against a team who insist, like your own, on passing it from back to front through midfield provides a showcase opportunity for you to do the same. Unlike most teams we'll play in division two, Killie weren't closing us down aggressively and did, despite their performance, obviously believe in their ability to play it through us. One consequence of that was that we had, as a starter, a wee bit more time on the ball; that really brought out the best in players like Johnston, Higgins and Easton most emphatically.

Criticisms? Well, this afternoon wasn't the first time I've thought that Easton steals Flynn's thunder. They're not exactly the same player but they do look for the ball in similar places. McNeil, though he was pretty solid and his pace was very handy, did get turned awfully easily and I don't think we'll want to keep him at centre-half for long. Similarly, Johnston, though a real menace to Kilmarnock with his pace, will be undermined as a defender I'm sure. It's just something to look out for in the future.

Special praise: Dylan Easton. Kilmarnock, if they dispossessed him, only did so by committee. A great performance and deserved the MOTM thoroughly. Great skill, great technique. A real crowd-pleaser. Peter MacDonald used all of his experience and nous to hold the ball up, doing so brilliantly on a few occasions; shades of Gary McSwegan there. And, lastly, Scott McLaughlin done a cracking job between the midfield and defensive lines; filled the space to plug any gaps and used the ball really well. Killie lacked a calming presence like his in their side.

Anyway, congratulations to Killie who edged it in the end; it was a win bought by sheer quality but which wasn't really secure until the very end.

No point saying too much that given that SP has covered it fairly well. I'd once again highlight though that McNeil struggled quite a bit at centre half (it's not his position after all); their striker ran off the back of him all game and he was the one who lost out in the header for the second (I thought we should've had Marsh on to defend that piece which would've probably prevented it). I actually think that's the best game I've ever seen Johnston have but I'm pretty sure he'll drop out when Smith is fit.

I'm disappointed as we won't get a better chance than that to beat a top division side whilst we're in this league. We'd have deserved to take the lead from the penalty and I'd have fancied us to have got at least the draw from that position. Can only be encouraged with some of the movement from players who have been together less than a month. We'll get a lot more our of our full-backs against poorer teams as well. Easton the obvious star. We'll get more from Flynn when we play teams in our division as they'll try to take Easton out of the game.

I thought Kiltie was decent for Kilmarnock and Coulibaly's movement inside the box was good but the two full backs were absolutely awful. The right back in particular looked completely out of his depth and the fact it's early in pre-season means nothing.

A disappointing game all told.  Clyde were never going to win the game, but we looked challenge shy at times throughout the game.  I thought Jordan Jones looked solid when he came on and I think Coulibaly will run his heart out for the jersey and appears to have the skills to match it.

A few of the new boys seemed a little wary, specifically Jamie Cobain.  He seemed liked a rabbit caught in headlights and flailed his way through the game.  Hopefully he'll get used to the Scottish game.  That said, he won't face cloggers like Clyde every week.

A disappointing game all told.  Clyde were never going to win the game, but we looked challenge shy at times throughout the game.  I thought Jordan Jones looked solid when he came on and I think Coulibaly will run his heart out for the jersey and appears to have the skills to match it.

A few of the new boys seemed a little wary, specifically Jamie Cobain.  He seemed liked a rabbit caught in headlights and flailed his way through the game.  Hopefully he'll get used to the Scottish game.  That said, he won't face cloggers like Clyde every week.

Shite.

Clyde were the better team at times and Jones thought repeated step overs and cutting in onto his right foot would be unstoppable, when in reality he got on the ball eight or so times and apart from the corner he took didn't manage a single cross.

10 hours ago, Sweet Pete said:

Shite.

Clyde were the better team at times and Jones thought repeated step overs and cutting in onto his right foot would be unstoppable, when in reality he got on the ball eight or so times and apart from the corner he took didn't manage a single cross.

Clyde were the better cluggers at times.  The only reason they were made to look semi-efficient at times was that we laid off them time after time and gave them space.  They're not in the 2nd division by accident.

And I thought Jones looked useful, but I respect your critique of my opinion as "shite".

Clyde were the better cluggers at times.  The only reason they were made to look semi-efficient at times was that we laid off them time after time and gave them space.  They're not in the 2nd division by accident.

And I thought Jones looked useful, but I respect your critique of my opinion as "shite".

Clyde aren't in the "second division".

Archived