The Sons v East Fife, Tuesday 19/7/16

9 hours ago, supersons said:

Going to be a long season at this rate, first manager to be punted emoji106.png

Jesus christ you, how long have you watched the Sons? We have these start of season performances every year, why the need to start the Aitken out stuff already? It'll be a long season if we get that shite every week.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Post on the Sons thread about this game but my main points are.

East Fife were the better team. Good to see a group of young boys singing and shouting for the team all game. Hilarious that the Stewards felt they needed a body guard beside them for 90mins.

Mark Brown - lol

Gal - rash challenge, I thought yellow but can't really complain.

Flemming lucky to not be off for his moment of madness.

no need to hit the panic but yet but definitely improvements needed.

Post on the Sons thread about this game but my main points are.

East Fife were the better team. Good to see a group of young boys singing and shouting for the team all game. Hilarious that the Stewards felt they needed a body guard beside them for 90mins.

Mark Brown - lol

Gal - rash challenge, I thought yellow but can't really complain.

Flemming lucky to not be off for his moment of madness.

no need to hit the panic but yet but definitely improvements needed.

Rash challenge? He didn't even challenge for the ball he just tried and succeeded to kick smith.

23 minutes ago, T-zero said:

Rash challenge? He didn't even challenge for the ball he just tried and succeeded to kick smith.

Yup, and it made a nice noise too. Stonewall red card, nae doubt about it. Can only assume that our fans who thought differently were sat further back in the stand as it was absolutely blatant from where I was.

Disappointed to hear the excuses again from Stevie re: squad depth, didn't see it coming etc etc. Also disappointed to hear him pin the blame firmly on the players: "The players are disappointed like everybody else. They know they have let themselves and the supporters down and losing two goals like we did, it is going to be an uphill struggle."

He's the manager at the end of the day, and whilst the players were poor on the pitch they didn't appear to have any clear shape implemented by the coaching staff off it. It's down to him and Faz to change it if they are disappointed with the performance, and outside of McCallum they were too scared to.

How stand offish were the defence every single time in those highlights? That's brutal, reminds me of Ian Murray's first game in charge at home to Hamilton, where in the first half we stood off like that and went in 2-0 down. He realised, and completely changed it.

Mark Lamont looks (will not literally as he looks ridiculous) like the player we hoped he'd be with us. Glad to see him finally being brave enough to take a man on.

1 hour ago, Sweet Pete said:

Ran out of time to make kick off by the time he finished his dinner, so took him to the park instead. Thankfully.

That's extremely fortunate. Park >>>>>> Dumbarton 0-2 East Fife imo

Cheers for the highlights.

What a stupid sending off. You can't go into tackles like that. Very silly. A few handbags flying about too with Naysmith and Fleming.

We should have scored more by the look of things. We are looking pretty decent. Good times

Can someone tell me why yet again Mark Brown is being ridiculed? From the highlights he's done very little wrong...

A couple of hairy moments but no drastic issues last night. His kicking is absolutely woeful though, outwith that I thought he was OK.

He did make a right arse of trying to control the ball and ran it straight out for a corner. All these wee daft things (which probably aren't on the highlights?), and his kicks that go straight to opposition strikers just do nothing to fill folk with confidence. His body language doesn't help his cause either IMO.

He was absolutely not the worst out there last night. Guys like Fleming, Gal and Smith were far worse than Brown.

37 minutes ago, Mon_The_Fife said:

Cheers for the highlights.

What a stupid sending off. You can't go into tackles like that. Very silly. A few handbags flying about too with Naysmith and Fleming.

We should have scored more by the look of things. We are looking pretty decent. Good times

I wouldn't even have called it a tackle mate! See the most dispiriting aspect of the game from our point of view? It was the fact that East Fife could've had as many as they fancied, but they were prepared to go easy on us and just knock the ball about.

21 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Can someone tell me why yet again Mark Brown is being ridiculed? From the highlights he's done very little wrong...

No he didn't to be fair to him - apart from taking a first touch that sent the ball out for a corner :lol: I actually felt for him at that point last night as I said earlier, he doesn't look confident in the slightest, and that's something that surely our coaching staff have to help him with (or am I being too harsh on them and expecting too much?) Every time a cross came into the box, or a pass back was headed his way you (or at least I) had the feeling a mistake was coming.

People around me were blaming him for the 2nd goal, and I was pretty strong in my defense of him. Having seen the highlights I'm glad I was proved right - there's a defender practically sat on top of him (is it Pettigrew I've not re-watched it). Utterly horrific defending. We looked terrified to go anywhere near the East Fife player.

7 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

A couple of hairy moments but no drastic issues last night. His kicking is absolutely woeful though, outwith that I thought he was OK.

He did make a right arse of trying to control the ball and ran it straight out for a corner. All these wee daft things (which probably aren't on the highlights?), and his kicks that go straight to opposition strikers just do nothing to fill folk with confidence. His body language doesn't help his cause either IMO.

He was absolutely not the worst out there last night. Guys like Fleming, Gal and Smith were far worse than Brown.

Fair enough, does look like our problems were in front of him last night. Defence is all over the place and Pettigrew and Buchs didn't cover themselves in glory for their second.

I do agree on his kicking, for a guy who has literally kicked a ball for his entire career should have much more control over his kicks than he does.

Cheers for the highlights, work commitments meant I couldn't travel.

Good to see East Fife taking this competition seriously.  5 points from the two seeded teams putting us in a good position to qualify and hope for either a decent run or a fairly big (as far as league cups go) tie to bring some money in.

Fitness of the squad seems to be of a decent level, Naysmith stressed that point last season that there won't be a fitter part time club in the leagues. Even the gaffer at 37/38? looks like he strolls through games. Looks good for the league campaign, stepping up to league 1 football.

Concerned for Duggan, not clear on whether it's a recurrence of the hamstring injury.  McManus and Smith looking sharp though.

Robinson and Lamont seem to have been a couple of very good acquisitions by Naysmith.

I'd drop fleming if we had players waiting. He's seriously out of shape. 

Going by the highlights it wasn't pretty. Too easy for East Fife to get through our defence. Hartley will be rubbing his hands together at the thought of playing us. Fleming is not a defensive midfielder. Get him up playing of the striker. 

Archived