Football Literature

Guest bernardblack

Been quiet at work so I've been checking out the Blizzard on line. Some really insightful articles.

Can be purchased in a quarterly hard copy or you can pay what you like for an online subscription. 

A few articles on the website.

Spoiler

If you type 'the blizzard vouchers' into Google the second or third listing takes you to a forum and there is a link to a pdf there.  If you change the url from seventeen to eighteen you can see a clue of issues.

In fact here's the linkyBlizzard #17

Worth a look @bernardblack

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are all football books I've enjoyed and not a biography among them. The John Foot Calcio book in particular is excellent. The Simon Kuper book is very dated now but well worth reading all the same. Special mention for The Nowhere Men which I don't think anyone else has mentioned. Its all about football scouts in the UK. 

The Nowhere Men - Michael Calvin

Football Against The Enemy - Simon Kuper

Brilliant Orange - David Winner

Calcio: A History of Italian Football - John Foot

The Miracle of Castel De Sangro - Joe McGinnis

A Season With Verona - Tim Parks

Stramash - Daniel Gray

Inverting the Pyramid - Jonathan Wilson

Heartfelt - Aidan Smith (this is the one about the Hibby who followed Hearts for a season. Its not great but I enjoyed it all the same)

Recently read Fun and Games in Fife and Gretna: An Englishman's Journey into Scottish Football. It's pretty awful. Poorly written and quite clearly rushed. Plus the guy who wrote it seems to be a bit of a dick at times (his rants on artificial pitches for example).

Hunting Grounds is ok.

Amusingly both of the above noted books mention that Cowden fans are the angriest, moaniest and most bitter fans either writer has ever come across.

Stramash  is excellent.

Even better is Penthouse and Pavement by Bill Leckie. Great read about Scottish football.

I've lots of football books, I have every issue of what was once described as the bible of Scottish football, the league review.

Can I recommend

Flawed genius, Stephen McGowan.

The final whistle, Harry Reid.

78, Graham mccoll.

Scottish football, it's not all about the old firm , Scott burns, 

On fire with fergie, Stuart Donald.

And I'm also eagerly awaiting my copy of nutmeg to come through the door.

22 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Nutmeg magazine published today, congratulations to all involved. https://www.nutmegmagazine.co.uk/contributors/

I was at the launch. A bit self-indulgent with the editor (oops, hope it's not you) and Stuart Cosgrove backslapping each other, but at least there was free beer 8) and the St Johnstone poet was good

This book is pretty good  https://www.amazon.co.uk/Premier-League-History-10-Matches/dp/1781854300

Not just 10 matches but he shows how these games tie in to the Premier League history........for example the difference in Man Utd and Sheffield Wednesday fortunes since Steve Bruce scored a double in injury time to effectively win Man Utd the first Premiership title in 1993.

I noticed through the Guardian (may be painful for Dundee Utd fans less so Dundee fans), that there's a football periodical been released for Scottish football called Nutmeg.

Has anyone heard anything about it? It seems it was a kick-starter campaign, that seems to have decent input.

Just wondering if it's worth the £10 for a copy.

4 hours ago, gc_smfc said:

I noticed through the Guardian (may be painful for Dundee Utd fans less so Dundee fans), that there's a football periodical been released for Scottish football called Nutmeg.

Has anyone heard anything about it? It seems it was a kick-starter campaign, that seems to have decent input.

Just wondering if it's worth the £10 for a copy.

It was supposedly launched last week, however I think they use the same logistics folk as JD Sports when it comes to getting their product to customers as my copy still hasn't turned up.

It was supposedly launched last week, however I think they use the same logistics folk as JD Sports when it comes to getting their product to customers as my copy still hasn't turned up.

My inbox is queued up with emails from them apologising for another delivery delay "through no fault of our own". Not massively bothered as I'm away this week, but it has been a pretty awkward week for them judging by their twitter. Hopefully the launch issue is waiting in my letterbox when I get home.

33 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

My inbox is queued up with emails from them apologising for another delivery delay "through no fault of our own". Not massively bothered as I'm away this week, but it has been a pretty awkward week for them judging by their twitter. Hopefully the launch issue is waiting in my letterbox when I get home.

I'm not too fussed either as I'm planning to keep it until I'm on holiday next month, however I'd have liked a flick through it. It also sets a bad impression given it's the first issue and you're being asked to pay a fair whack for it.

20 hours ago, Stu said:

I'm not too fussed either as I'm planning to keep it until I'm on holiday next month, however I'd have liked a flick through it. It also sets a bad impression given it's the first issue and you're being asked to pay a fair whack for it.

Seemingly coming tomorrow. I actually went to the launch and got a look at a copy (plus a couple of beers). I never got far flicking through it as it fell open at an article about Paterson's great ICT side of the early noughties by John Maxwell who posts on here. Not bad for a C(o)unty fan. To think I could have stuffed a copy up my jumper too :lol:

• 2 months later...

Rattled through the last 200 or so pages of 'A Life Too Short' today having neglected it for a while and have to concur with the consensus in here on it. Sensationally written book and truly heartbreaking. One of those books that you just want to tell everyone you know to read whether they're a football fan or not. A universal story that had to be told

"Provided you don't kiss me" mentioned earlier is by Duncan Hamilton on Brian Clough. A great read, but the same author went one better with the brilliant "The footballer who could fly" , to date the best football related book I've read.

Agree with others about "Stramash", the best groundhopping book.

Other recommendations:

"My father and other working class heroes" Gary Imlach

"The ghost of White Hart Lane" Robbie White 

Archived