Why no polls?

8 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Yeah but it's not like last time. People will be far harder to convince. Many of the arguments are well worn now and then there's the pissed off factor that thinks this has already been dealt with. As much as some yes voters are unhappy with this point being repeated by the Tories and labour it is a very legitimate point.

I agree with that.  However one fairly significant group who largely voted NO last time around was EU nationals.  I would expect a big change there.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To be fair I think that when independence comes, and it will definitely come, the country will do fine providing we keep people like you out of positions of responsibility and providing we can learn to breed out your particularly virulent tyoe of "chip on shoulder" venom which has been a large contributing factor in our decline as a leading world power in innovation, science and engineering.

You've no need to worry billy big baws .
I've absolutely no inclination to be in a position of of responsibility.

I couldn't afford the pay cut.

3 hours ago, mjw said:

f**k off knobrash.

14 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

To be fair I think that when independence comes, and it will definitely come, the country will do fine providing we keep people like you out of positions of responsibility and providing we can learn to breed out your particularly virulent tyoe of "chip on shoulder" venom which has been a large contributing factor in our decline as a leading world power in innovation, science and engineering.

mjw to be our ambassador to the U.S.

18 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

That's excellent news.

Unfortunately you are not alone.

Power seduces and it attracts people like Granny Danger like flies.

We need to be more careful who we elect into power IMO.

There would need to be a place for all of us in the brave new world of an independent Scotland.  A place where we could all have duties that we are suited to.

You should be in charge of imaginary universities and be responsible for handing out imaginary doctorates.

You could encourage doctoral theses like "A nutritional diet for £5 a week".

I agree with that. However one fairly significant group who largely voted NO last time around was EU nationals. I would expect a big change there.

As long as they're not deported first.

Ipsos were never really friendly to the Yes side in their polling. The fact that it's commissioned by STV should indicate that it's a reasonable snap shot of where we are at the moment without too much manipulation.
The headline is of course the 50% who now back Independence. But for me it's the other info contained in the poll like women and over 55's still favour the Union. That's our target audience for indyref2.

On the local elections, I'm convinced Kezia is still staying as leader to take a bullet for the team. Anyone brought in now will take a hammering in May.
Kezia will take the blame and then move over for Anas.... 

Sarwar won't do any better - he makes a snake look trustworthy.

I can't agree with you fully.
Of course we should be trying to persuade and cajole people to voting Yes, but if one thing the last 3 - 4 years has taught us is that the 55+ age bracket (in general) are the most entitled, selfish, greedy cross section of society going. They epitomise the "I'm alright Jack" mentality.
They are, again in general, utterly unwilling to listen.

Abusing them won't help either. People as they get older are generally more conservative - people want reassurance. I do believe that the No vote is a lot softer than the Yes vote - that there are many who voted No not out of any great love of the union but fear of the unknown.

1 minute ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Abusing them won't help either. People as they get older are generally more conservative - people want reassurance. I do believe that the No vote is a lot softer than the Yes vote - that there are many who voted No not out of any great love of the union but fear of the unknown.

I'm not sure.

My parents will never in a million years vote Yes.  The over 60's have had a lifetime to become entrenched in their views and the media they watch and the newspapers they read keep the unionist stance firm.

I don't think we should even try to convince them to vote yes.  I think the best we can do is to try and get enough to abstain.  To try to reason with them about who will live longest and face the most consequences of the outcome, and that It's these people who should have the right to define their own futures is what I would do.

I'll tell you right now that that still won't work with my parents.  They'll vote no because the MSM will tell them to.

Just now, oaksoft said:

Again woth that last sentence. Arrogant b*****d. :lol:

You have genuinely deluded yourself that only yonuger people have functioning brains.

Tragic.

I'm sorry, I'm not going to engage in any exchange with you.

You don't have anything worthwhile to add and just seem to call people names and swear a lot.

I'll let you have the last word.

5 hours ago, Shades75 said:

You don't have anything worthwhile to add and just seem to call people names and swear a lot.

Kudos for your zen like approach to that fucking imbecile.

Kudos for your zen like approach to that fucking imbecile.

Oaksoft does make some very good points at times and the response is quite often abuse (by repeated posters which makes everyone feel secure and self-righteous).

I certainly don't agree with everything he says and I'm sure he resorts to abuse at times too. But dismissing him in this manner is the equivalent of sticking your fingers on your ears.

Never forget how unrepresentative p&b is of our wider society.

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

Oaksoft does make some very good points at times and the response is quite often abuse (by repeated posters which makes everyone feel secure and self-righteous).

I certainly don't agree with everything he says and I'm sure he resorts to abuse at times too. But dismissing him in this manner is the equivalent of sticking your fingers on your ears.

In three sentences he managed to call me an arrogant b*****d, deluded and tragic.

That was his opening post to me!

Best ignored until he can be civil, IMO.

10 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Oaksoft makes awful points, is abusive and dismissive and deserves every iota of disdain he rightly receives.

In three sentences he managed to call me an arrogant b*****d, deluded and tragic.
That was his opening post to me!
Best ignored until he can be civil, IMO.

On the same page where he is being called a worthless piece of subhuman shit?

His post to you was not in the same scale of abuse.

Defend your points. The abuse wasn't that bad. Be the bigger man.

2 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I didn't call him a subhuman piece of shit though, that was someone else.

I've already been the bigger man by not replying to him, as he did me, with a torrent of abuse and expletives.

It's clear to me that his post to me was designed to antagonise and bait.  It didn't work.

9 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

If you want to talk about respectful debate you should probably find another hill to die on.

Archived