Star Trek or Star Wars?

banana

Poll  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Star Wars all day long for me. I've enjoyed the two new Star Trek films they've done in the last five years, but the other incarnations weren't my cup of tea at all.

Star Wars is the fucking business!

Wrath of Khan > Star Wars film

It doesn't take just one shot to destroy The greatest weapon ever seen.  A weapon can destroy a planet but one small fighter can take it out because of a design flaw - where the greatest minds never fixed despite knowing about it.   

Star Trek is by far the more flexible franchise, and has tackled most of your Sci-Fi tropes over the numerous incarnations. At least half of it is very, very bad - terribly written technobabble solutions, or blunt on the nose sermonizing. When it's good though? It's outstanding - capable of being both character driven drama, or high concept anthology type science fiction.

Star wars is space opera, basically a variaiton in Lord of the Rings, transposed into space. It's good story telling (at least until the prequels) but limited in scope.

You can't really compare the two - I do prefer Star Trek though, because it has given us some really good sci fi stories over the years, and when it doesn't it still has some supreme moments of cheese.

5 minutes ago, renton said:

Star Trek is by far the more flexible franchise, and has tackled most of your Sci-Fi tropes over the numerous incarnations. At least half of it is very, very bad - terribly written technobabble solutions, or blunt on the nose sermonizing. When it's good though? It's outstanding - capable of being both character driven drama, or high concept anthology type science fiction.

Star wars is space opera, basically a variaiton in Lord of the Rings, transposed into space. It's good story telling (at least until the prequels) but limited in scope.

You can't really compare the two - I do prefer Star Trek though, because it has given us some really good sci fi stories over the years, and when it doesn't it still has some supreme moments of cheese.

Cheese?  How very dare you

giphy.gif

9 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Cheese?  How very dare you

giphy.gif

Nicholas Meyer's job as director on II and VI seems to have been trying to trick Shanter out of being Shatner. Whether it was 20 takes to tire him out and 'naturalise' his performance on II, or telling him on VI that'd he'd leave a line in before cutting it out (Shatner initially refused to do the 'let them die' line on VI and only agreed to it when Meyer let him say 'I didn't mean that' right afterwards - that part was of course edited out).

Overall he did a good job of de-Shatnering those movies, the above however, remains the absolute Shatner pinnacle. (Though I'm partial to his line reading of "zero, zero, zero DESTRUCT!... zero" in III)

3 minutes ago, renton said:

Christopher Meyer's job as director on II and VI seems to have been trying to trick Shanter out of being Shatner. Whether it was 20 takes to tire him out and 'naturalise' his performance on II, or telling him on VI that'd he'd leave a line in before cutting it out (Shatner initially refused to do the 'let them die' line on VI and only agreed to it when Meyer let him say 'I didn't mean that' right afterwards - that part was of course edited out).

Overall he did a good job of de-Shatnering those movies, the above however, remains the absolute Shatner pinnacle. (Though I'm partial to his line reading of "zero, zero, zero DESTRUCT!... zero" in III)

Funnily enough I watched III the other day (massively underated, and I think it only gets a hard time because it followed WoK) and that bit always makes me laugh.  The destruct codes for the Enterprise are one step away from being "Password".

18 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Funnily enough I watched III the other day (massively underated, and I think it only gets a hard time because it followed WoK) and that bit always makes me laugh.  The destruct codes for the Enterprise are one step away from being "Password".

Aye, loved the 1a2b stuff - you could basically blow the ship up by playing battleship next to the computer microphone.

Yeah, III is quite under rated - Chris Lloyd is fantastic as Kruge throughout, and I think Horner's score for III is better than his one for II as well.

Shatner pisses all over Star Wars.

No Shatner no point.

14 minutes ago, renton said:

Nicholas Meyer's job as director on II and VI seems to have been trying to trick Shanter out of being Shatner. Whether it was 20 takes to tire him out and 'naturalise' his performance on II, or telling him on VI that'd he'd leave a line in before cutting it out (Shatner initially refused to do the 'let them die' line on VI and only agreed to it when Meyer let him say 'I didn't mean that' right afterwards - that part was of course edited out).

The amazing thing is Meyer edits out Shatners "I don't mean that" but then cuts back to Shatner right at the end of the gesture so you get the very end of it but its cut in such a way as to be seen as Kirk just moving his hands. He also made Shatner do about 15 takes on the "here it comes" line in Khan as he wanted a real performance rather than a typical Shatner performance and again it works.

Picked up the new Blu-Ray version of the Directors Cut of Khan for less than £9 from HMV last week, also picked up the Blu-Ray versions of The Motion Picture and The Undiscovered Country. So that's the 3 best Trek films.

I've always wondered why the Enterprise self destruct sequence is such a shitty number, I bet the Federations pin number is 1234.

Star Wars should be buried alive, buried alive.

1 minute ago, drs said:

The amazing thing is Meyer edits out Shatners "I don't mean that" but then cuts back to Shatner right at the end of the gesture so you get the very end of it but its cut in such a way as to be seen as Kirk just moving his hands.

I've always wondered why the Enterprise self destruct sequence is such a shitty number, I bet the Federations pin number is 1234.

Star Wars should be buried alive, buried alive.

TNG was worse, it was the late 80s so vice recognition seemed so ridiculously futuristic and therefore infallible that you could blow up the Enterprise D by dint of the computer being able to recognise Picards' voice, no pin required (yet in a later episode we have Data able to mimic hsi voice perfectly, which raises questions)

Watched The Motion Picture on Saturday night and nowadays the end takes on a whole new meaning, Decker wanting to get into Ilia's pants and become one with a new life form, now that we know Stephen Collins is a beast in real life.

Archived