Edinburgh City v Forfar 6/8/16

History in the making then....

Think our team will be along the usual lines (barring any knocks).
Kerr Hay's 1 match suspension (from last season) was on the SFA notices on the 14th and 21st July but has disappeared from the notice on the 28th - will wait and see if it re-appears this week!
Travis and Kennedy still out - Marc Scott did a bit of running pre-match at Dens but no idea how close to fitness he is.

Thought Lewis Milne was a standout in pre-season and v Dumbarton, although he seems to have fallen out of favour since the Peterhead defeat.  Swankie and TOB both playing well in midfield, so he's got a battle on his hands to get back in.

The match at Dens hopefully will be forgotten about after a couple of training sessions this week and the lads can get back to showing the kind of appetite they did in the 2 home matches in the cup.

Trying to work out the best route through Edinburgh on a Saturday afternoon during the festival.  Any thoughts?  Also is there parking right at the ground?

'mon the Loons

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the trouble with recommending a route through Edinburgh is that there's b*****ding road works everywhere and the council have now decided to impose a 20 mph limit in residential areas. Feel free to drive through the middle of town and mow down a few English Oxbridge yah types spending Daddy's fortune putting on some tatty bollocks in a draughty church hall though.

there's parking round about but it gets a bit busy if Hibs are at home.

a pint can also be had in the Social Club at Lochend Road :cheers

Looking forward to an away game on my own doorstep!

For any Loons driving I'd probably recommend coming into the North of the City continuing on the A90 after the bridge, head to Crewe Toll then along Ferry Road to avoid tourist traffic and the centre. As for parking Meadowbank has parking for the sports centre which I'm sure you could get away with using or alternatively there is plenty of street parking around Meadowbank.

Is the social club the pub that used to be the Loch Inn? Most of the pubs around Meadowbank are, erm, "interesting" but will serve the purpose. Plenty in Easter Road area and of course in town before or after although the streets will be mobbed.

As for the game, it's hard to know what to expect from Edinburgh. They had a tough league cup group so it'll be interesting to see how they do against a team at the same level. We should really be looking for at least the playoffs this year so this could be a good test for us. Looking forward to playing a different team even if it's an awful place to watch football

Guest bernardblack

I have a horrible, horrible feeling about Saturday!

I've tried to forget about last weekend as we played a premiership team with a point to prove, but cannot get Swankie just stopping and pointing for the third goal out of me head....

21 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

I have a horrible, horrible feeling about Saturday!

I've tried to forget about last weekend as we played a premiership team with a point to prove, but cannot get Swankie just stopping and pointing for the third goal out of me head....

I wouldn't worry too much if I was you. History is on your side if you can compare Forfar's first historic visit to Meadowbank Stadium on Saturday 5th April 1975 vs debut boys Meadowbank Thistle. It ended in a 0-0 draw.  Previously in that season Forfar beat Thistle 2-1 in the league cup at Station park but went on to be defeated by them, losing three goals to one again at Station Park. I'm predicting a scoring draw based on that history alone and ignoring Forfar's 7-0 defeat to Dundee, the fact Forfar have dropped a league from last season and Edinburgh have come up from the Lowland League, signed a few good players and play open flowing football. It's been end to end stuff so far but I've only been to the home games at Meadowbank so far.

Incidentally, I think Forfar only won a single league game in that 1974/75 season, with 7 draws and 30 losses. 27 goals for and 102 against and finished bottom of the 20 team table. Oh dear, now I have a horrible, horrible feeling about the whole season ahead not just  this Saturday. Chin up. It's only a game.

Go%20Tell%20The%20Spartans%20FC%20Page%2

If we can't beat utter pointless diddies like edinbourg city this weekend then what's the fucking point . Absolute no marks hopefully put back where they belong after this season - oblivion.

Prediction . No marks 0 - 3 sleeping Giants

4 hours ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

Looking forward to an away game on my own doorstep!

For any Loons driving I'd probably recommend coming into the North of the City continuing on the A90 after the bridge, head to Crewe Toll then along Ferry Road to avoid tourist traffic and the centre. As for parking Meadowbank has parking for the sports centre which I'm sure you could get away with using or alternatively there is plenty of street parking around Meadowbank.

Is the social club the pub that used to be the Loch Inn? Most of the pubs around Meadowbank are, erm, "interesting" but will serve the purpose. Plenty in Easter Road area and of course in town before or after although the streets will be mobbed.

As for the game, it's hard to know what to expect from Edinburgh. They had a tough league cup group so it'll be interesting to see how they do against a team at the same level. We should really be looking for at least the playoffs this year so this could be a good test for us. Looking forward to playing a different team even if it's an awful place to watch football

It is.

1 minute ago, Bogs_Dollox said:

If we can't beat utter pointless diddies like edinbourg city this weekend then what's the fucking point . Absolute no marks hopefully put back where they belong after this season - oblivion.

Thank you for the warm welcome to the SPFL. 

shitting.jpg

On 1 August 2016 at 22:35, Bogs_Dollox said:

You are way out of order Bogs. Edinburgh City won the Lowland League,beat Cove Rangers and then East Stirling! The introduction of relegation from league 2 makes all games meaningful. Remember Peterhead came into the bottom league and they have done O.K. Fair play to Edinburgh City and a warm welcome to the big league!

You are way out of order Bogs. Edinburgh City won the Lowland League,beat Cove Rangers and then East Stirling! The introduction of relegation from league 2 makes all games meaningful. Remember Peterhead came into the bottom league and they have done O.K. Fair play to Edinburgh City and a warm welcome to the big league!

Sense of humour = 0

Perceived wisdom is that we have to start the season well or it could be a long one for us new boys. Looking at the first three fixtures two are against my favorites for promotion Forfar and Cowdenbeath (regardless of what Clyde fans say, year in year out) whilst the other is away to Elgin, not an easy introduction to life in the SPFL. On the flip side get good results in those games and I see no reason why we can't have a wee go at the play-offs. Preseason, and that's how we have treated the cup comps so far is really difficult to assess as we have mixed things up never really playing a first XI against tough opposition. It ranged from 'jees we have long way to go' to 'we'll be alright' to 'we'll skoosh this league' (3 minute spell v Accies!). 

Tomorrow will tell us a lot more than those 5 games as to how the season will go. Hopefully we can go out there, play with the confidence that's been built up over the last few years, put on a performance and hopefully 3pts at the end of the day. 

Win lose or draw a wee bit of history for City tomorrow.

Archived