Fear of flying

DDcups

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Al B said:

I enjoy flying, but part of that comes from taking reassurance from statistics if needed. Right this minute there are over 14,000 planes in the sky. 1500 just in this screengrab area. When you multiply that 14,000+ in the sky at any one time up to how many over each 24hr period, even if it was guaranteed one would crash every day I reckon most people would accept that risk without too much thought.

I find the flightradar24 site fascinating!

fr24.jpg

In some years there were zero fatalities for all flights in the western world.

I think fear of flying is about the idea that somebody else is in control - and you can't say "Hey I don't want to do this anymore - let me out"

I think the more often you fly -the easier it gets.  "Is the plane supposed to do that" - Yes.  "What's that noise" - nothing unusual.

I can still remember the worst flight I ever took - the pilot decided to turn back because of the weather.  However most were uneventful.

14 minutes ago, Al B said:

I enjoy flying, but part of that comes from taking reassurance from statistics if needed. Right this minute there are over 14,000 planes in the sky. 1500 just in this screengrab area. When you multiply that 14,000+ in the sky at any one time up to how many over each 24hr period, even if it was guaranteed one would crash every day I reckon most people would accept that risk without too much thought.

I find the flightradar24 site fascinating!

It's seeing the departures and arrivals boards at the airport, and how many flights in and out there are from that single airport never mind every other one,  that reassures me. That and 3 pints of Guinness and a couple of whiskies.

Ashamed to say it, but I get a bit more nervous when I hear a woman's voice saying what the weather will be like when we arrive. If banana gives me a greenie for this I will onslaught him with reds for all time.

Guest bernardblack

Never been scared of flying in my life until there was some serial us turbulence.....was still okay until the stewards/stewardesses started to panic.....that's when I started to shit myself.

Never been scared of flying in my life until there was some serial us turbulence.....was still okay until the stewards/stewardesses started to panic.....that's when I started to shit myself.

That happened to me once. Nothing guaranteed to put the absolute shitters up you more than seeing fear on the cabin crew's faces.

Also agree that watching Aircraft Investigations is an eye opener, and not in a reassuring way. I got a book from the library once called, I think, The Tombstone Imperative. I didn't fly for years after that...

15 hours ago, Fullerene said:

It must be fun at your house watching Dad's Army on the telly.

"You know World War Two was no laughing matter.  People died."

Dads Army was no laughing matter. It was shit.

11 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Dads Army was no laughing matter. It was shit.

You stupid boy. It might be shit now but wasn't then. Bernard Manning was still on the telly in them days. We were prepared to laugh at anything without prejudice

G-Bo 

10 minutes ago, Grim O'Grady said:

You stupid boy. It might be shit now but wasn't then. Bernard Manning was still on the telly in them days. We were prepared to laugh at anything without prejudice

G-Bo 

You old boys and your opinions. You don't like it up 'em, do you?

15 hours ago, Fullerene said:

I think the more often you fly -the easier it gets.  "Is the plane supposed to do that" - Yes.  "What's that noise" - nothing unusual.

This was basically the conversation between me and my partner last month flying Inverness to Gatwick.  I've flown numerous times and it was her first.  I even got the 'bong' sound you hear just after you take off right on queue as I knew roughly when you hear it.  Any wee noise and she would squeeze my hand and be like 'the f**k was that?'.

14 minutes ago, Mozzamozza said:

I hope you reassured her that it was the big spring that the use to give the plane an extra push off the runway.

Actually it is the tail tapping the runway when the plane rotates but not everybody knows that.

Archived