Fear of flying

DDcups

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First time I flew I was dreading it, take-off was shit scary and we had to fly around Kos for about an hour before we could land, but I just kept playing Morris Brown by OutKast in my head as it made me feel cheerful at the time. Flight home was sound and haven't been frightened since. God bless you, Andre 3K.

Someone on my last flight had a fit during take-off and had to be restrained.

That's not how I saw it at the time though - as far as I was concerned he'd rushed the cockpit door before being rugby tackled and restrained whilst the cabin crew rushed about in panic.

Shat myself.

Never had any issues with flying myself but I have to admit that given recent events I genuinely found the busy parts of the airports a little unnerving.

8 hours ago, fanny paddery said:

Love all these people saying you have more chance of dying in a car accident than an air accident. I am sure that is the case, but while I am in a plane I think my odds of dying in an air accident are far far higher than the odds of dying in a car accident.

Unless it crashes into a motorway, then it's a twofur.

Do you get the c***s who, after the seatbelt sign goes off, spend ten minutes slamming their seat into your knees and turning to glare at you because there's no room to recline? Even had one call a stewardess to complain. Some folk turn into absolute arseholes when they get on board a plane.

A lot of the budget airlines now have pulled out the old seats and instead fitted ones that can't recline, almost like a fancy bench. One of the best things to happen in air travel in years.

I have to travel all the time with work, and it's shite. I hate airports, and I hate the way air travel brings out the worst I'm people. I agree with the get drunk approach. Also, you can listen to music from the minute you get on the plane these days. A few beers, a window seat, and mogwai blaring into your head as you go through the clouds calms things down beautifully.

8 hours ago, fanny paddery said:

Love all these people saying you have more chance of dying in a car accident than an air accident. I am sure that is the case, but while I am in a plane I think my odds of dying in an air accident are far far higher than the odds of dying in a car accident.

You've probably got more chance of dying from the in-flight meal TBH. Don't eat the fish.

12 hours ago, philpy said:

I flew for the first time ever last year, to Malta, and I bloody loved it. I wish I could go and board a plane right now actually. I think I must have sat looking out of the window for almost the full flight.IMG_1470082550.038760.jpg

I flew to Sunny Beach in Bulgaria a couple of years ago and that was basically the same view for me all the way.  Bucharest looked spectacular at night.  The lights made it look like a giant spider, with a massive roundabout in the middle when 8 long streets leading away from it.

Name That Toon is the single best thing about flying if you're able to get a window seat. Might need a film or two over the Atlantic though.

Guess the football stadium is another great game.

I flew to Sunny Beach in Bulgaria a couple of years ago and that was basically the same view for me all the way.  Bucharest looked spectacular at night.  The lights made it look like a giant spider, with a massive roundabout in the middle when 8 long streets leading away from it.

I like it when the pilot tells you what you're flying over. Flying from Switzerland to Venice provided some pretty awesome window scenes.

2 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

I haven't experienced it for years but I used to dread coming into land at Glasgow only for the weegie scum to burst into rapturous applause and think it was amusing to put the hat round for the pilot.

The junkie at the front must have made a killing.

7 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

I haven't experienced it for years but I used to dread coming into land at Glasgow only for the weegie scum to burst into rapturous applause and think it was amusing to put the hat round for the pilot.

Occasionally still get the applause when flying Easyjet from Edinburgh to Basel. Seems fucking pointless to me.

My only real issue with flying is that the route I use most generally takes around 1 hour 50 from start to finish, which means I end up spending more time in the airport than I do on the plane.

Flying to Bali later this year and need to go via Doha. Will be on one of the Dreamliner planes. They look far too big to be able to fly. The only saving grace is it's not an A380 which I'm really not sure I would trust enough to get on.

Bear this in mind:

The crew on the plane probably fly most days and maybe a number of flights each day

The cabin staff get paid to do a safety demonstration, serve you food and drink and things like that.

Do you really anyone would choose a job like that if it was dangerous?

P&B crossing real life.. got my haircut earlier and the girl said her boyfriend is so scared of flying she can't get him to visit her native South Africa. You'd think flying there would be the safest part of the trip. 

Bear this in mind:

The crew on the plane probably fly most days and maybe a number of flights each day

The cabin staff get paid to do a safety demonstration, serve you food and drink and things like that.

Do you really anyone would choose a job like that if it was dangerous?

Isn't the whole point of phobias that they are irrational? So just saying "it's dead safe" over and over isn't going to help anyone who has a fear of flying.

Best tip is just get pissed, I reckon. That's what I always do when I have to face my phobia: work.

Ten years ago I went to Brazil.
The flight was uneventful but I then got a taxi and the driver thought he was Ayrton Senna
That resulted in a 30 minute white knuckle ride

After that I was never afraid flying again - but try getting me in a taxi - forget it!

Archived