The Sons v The Arabs 13/8/16

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought Gal and Joe were excellent shielding the defence; some lovely tackles between them.  Big Robert was excellent too.  Bucky had a great block at 0-0 in the box and the goalie done well with what he had to do, apart from kick outs.  

Credit to all, a deserved and hard earned three points

25 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

By the way that flag display. Ooooft.

I actually gave the flag display 10/10: colourful, vibrant, effective, completely in offensive (unlike the Scum ones last year) and 10/10 for the United fans having a flag display commemorating their humiliating relegation last year.

The ref was destined to give a pen for a niggly foul, he was giving fouls left, right and centre when both teams were looking to play on. I thought everyone had good games today, Harvie looked much more composed this week (and has incredible volume in his hair), Docherty and Bucky dealt with everything thrown at them and Thompson caused all sorts of problems. For me though, Gallagher and Stevo were the key men. Gall did the perfect job in front of the defence and I suggest we stop using him as the "Phil Neville" of the squad. Nobody can tell me Stevo is finished either, he coasted that today and provided the link between Thommo and the midfield. His delivery is incredibly important to us as well, United were all over the shop trying to deal with our set pieces.

Delighted with that performance and it certainly settles some of my fears for this year. Well done Sons.

A one-off cup game doesn't prevent us being able to laugh at United's league form picking up where it left off. New season, new manager, new players, same embarrassing shambles. Unlucky.

All about opinions I guess. You have two chances for silverware this season; that was one of them.

Well done Dumbarton.  

I think it will take a few results like this to make it clear to the United Board that they still need to invest in some players, if they don't then we can't complain if we end up in the or even lower half of the table.

Horrific result and performance. If today has any positives, its that it might speed Mckinnon up on a search for a centre half and striker. What annoys me is that any United fan wouldve told him in May that they were major priorities

Why didn't Van Der Velden start? United looked better when he came on, although we were pretty much willing to camp in our box at the time. 

Agree with the comments on Durnan and Donaldson. I've never been convinced with Donaldson but Durnan was shocking today. He looks an absolute shaddow of the player he was at Queens.

37 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Sparky got the official MOTM but to be honest it could've gone to almost anyone in the team. Not a single performance below an 8/10.

Thought it was between him and Gallagher for MOTM. Thought he was solid in the midfield holding role.

19 hours ago, FifeArab said:

well up for this tomorrow, 5-0 United.

Poor prediction.

On 12 August 2016 at 12:22, Sarto Mutiny said:

I am experiencing the delights of Dumbarton hospitality, so I will probably end up sleeping through the game.

3-1 us if I do fall asleep, 1-0 Dumbarton if I don't.

Good prediction.  Why did you not drink more to make sure you fell asleep?

26 minutes ago, C'mon_the_Sons said:

Thought it was between him and Gallagher for MOTM. Thought he was solid in the midfield holding role.

Gal was decent, that's what happens when we play him in his natural position and get him to keep things simple. Stevo would've been my MOTM today, he strolled it with a real captain's performance.

4 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Gal was decent, that's what happens when we play him in his natural position and get him to keep things simple. Stevo would've been my MOTM today, he strolled it with a real captain's performance.

Decent? Come on you, give the man the praise he deserves :D

34 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Why didn't Van Der Velden start? United looked better when he came on, although we were pretty much willing to camp in our box at the time. 

Agree with the comments on Durnan and Donaldson. I've never been convinced with Donaldson but Durnan was shocking today. He looks an absolute shaddow of the player he was at Queens.

In fairness it was reasonable to start the same team who had played against Partick in the cup.

33 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

I went to the cinema to see Jason Bourne during this so I've only just seen the result. It was a pretty good film.

Didn't yo have a wedding today?

Archived