FA Cup 2016/17

Eednud

14 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Last year they chose Man U at home to Sheff U and Chelsea at home to Scunthorpe, tedious b*****ds. Man U, Chelsea and Liverpool all have massively boring home draws but I bet at least two of them will be televised.

My televised predictions:

Preston v Arsenal
Man U v Reading
West Ham v Man City
Liverpool v Plymouth or Newport
Everton v Leicester
Hull v Swansea (Welsh TV)*

* not sure if the deal for showing a Welsh tie on telly extends to showing their away matches. If not, substitute Cardiff v Fulham.

I think Spurs Villa has a good chance. Top PL team against fallen giant.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/4/2016 at 14:16, tigerton said:

Turned this game on in the 78th minute. Entertaining and enjoyable, mainly because Wimbledon are on my coupon. Wonder what the odds were at 3-0? Probably better than my coupons odds!!

Wimbledon were 200/1 around the 75th minute.

On 12/6/2016 at 08:47, mizfit said:

Every Manchester United FA Cup tie has been shown on TV since 2005 apparently, don't have a link for the stat but seen it last night on twitter. 

According to tonight's MEN that's now 55 cup ties in a row.

Uninspiring but unsurprising choices given the guff draw. I was hoping BT wouldn't show Man Utd as they've been decent at showing random pucks from both England and Scotland before but they'll get big viewing figures so you can't really blame them. ITV showed Mam Utd at home to Crawley (who may have been non-league at the time) FFS.

On 08/12/2016 at 19:12, Salvo Montalbano said:

Uninspiring but unsurprising choices given the guff draw. I was hoping BT wouldn't show Man Utd as they've been decent at showing random pucks from both England and Scotland before but they'll get big viewing figures so you can't really blame them. ITV showed Mam Utd at home to Crawley (who may have been non-league at the time) FFS.

To be fair, a non-league team getting their big day at Old Trafford is at least an interesting story so can see why it would be shown. Showing them at home to Championship dross who were in the PL a few years ago is very dull though.

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

To be fair, a non-league team getting their big day at Old Trafford is at least an interesting story so can see why it would be shown. Showing them at home to Championship dross who were in the PL a few years ago is very dull though.

It is quite interesting but I don't think it's interesting enough to justify full live match coverage. At the very best you'd probably be watching a strong home side playing in second gear before inevitably winning. An extended highlights feature would suffice. I suppose the manufactured justification for the Reading game will be Jaap Stam taking his team to Old Trafford. Yawn, so what. Give me a game between two evenly matched teams any time. I'd much rather the tv companies gambled with some unfashionable sides than take the easy, audience guaranteeing clubs route in the earlier rounds. There's already been some cracking games involving the minnows this season.

Archived