Then both sides got bored

In a game in which none could defend

On 11/08/2016 at 00:04, Shandon Par said:

The festival on?

Fringe keepers will bring sadness

Pars get Easter Rode

FcMLkOT.png

9 hours ago, Hibeesbounce75 said:

Poor defending from Fontaine again it has to be said. Felt he was at fault for one of the goals against queens too.

Fontaine tends to close down the opposition in front of defence. Perhaps he should have held back, but there was no one in the  space in front of our centre-backs. Hanlon got caught in two minds and ended up stranded between his position and the one Fontaine left. Playing a back three should have been ideal for their goalscroing attack; one centre-back should be free to come out, leaving two to cover as normal. We seem to have Hanlon & Fontaine halving the role that a single sweeper should do, getting mixed up in the process.

I have been a strong supporter of using three centre-backs but when teams need cracking and the strikers need backing, its effectiveness can often prove lax. A combination of calamity and an ill-fitting setup resulted in a deep midfield sinking deeper and the anchor (Bartley) holding us there. I'm trying not to get too excited with a 30-pager rant...

In lieu of this
I bid you 'adieu' and a-

x

#jeneregretterien

Talking of the 3-5-2 not suiting Lewis, it also shows up Bartley's lack of pace and mobility massively. I don't mind him in a midfield 3 but it clearly doesn't work when only he and McGinn are in the middle. Hope to f**k that's the end of it, though Lennon seems to think we played well yesterday.

4 minutes ago, Fraser Fyvie said:

Talking of the 3-5-2 not suiting Lewis, it also shows up Bartley's lack of pace and mobility massively. I don't mind him in a midfield 3 but it clearly doesn't work when only he and McGinn are in the middle. Hope to f**k that's the end of it, though Lennon seems to think we played well yesterday.

Bartley looks like he has bulked up over the summer when he didn't need to. He has looked a bit slower and lot more clumsy since the end of last season. McGeouch & McGinn ahead of Bartley may be a better option than Keatings ahead of Bartley & McGinn. I understand that Keatings helps to tip the balance towards attack, but we may benefit having two sitting ahead of Bartley rather than two playing deep and having Keatings tracking back.

We need to find a way of supplementing our strikers through the centre as we can't rely on Gray & Stevenson's passing/crossing every game. Since Lennon has come in, we have identified and sealed cracks throughout the side by mixing roles and drilling a more complex & disciplined shape into the side. That said, we should be able to win with more straightforward setups at this level; we don't need to constantly cover our weaknesses in the manner that was required against Brøndby. Boyle & Carmichael shown last season that we can use them as wing-backs to great effect or slot them into a standard 4-4-fucking-2.

If we play the rest of the season like we did in the second half then we have a good chance of a top four finish. If we play like we did in the first? I'd be happy with 7th/8th. Really proud of the team for how we turned the game around and looked the better side for 20 minutes or so. Hibs fans were getting extremely twitchy.

The two we conceded were a real shame as I thought Ben and Fordyce had good games. Ben especially is always better when he has no time to think and just has to get rid of the ball. You'd never have believed that Dycey had been out of action for almost a full year. Was a big ask to throw him in against the title favourites but he did really well until his mistake at the goal.

Can't say I was as excited by McCabe as some people were. He looks tidy on the ball but seems to actively avoid challenges. I know that's not his strong point but in a game like Saturday we needed to be a bit stronger in midfield. I'm certain Nat would have played had he been fit.

Great crowd through and a really good, cup-tie atmosphere in the ground. Buzzing for a trip to the wee team next week.

15 hours ago, Shooboax said:

Those can get to f**k.

Hearts are not a popular club among Dunfermline supporters as far as I'm aware.

Hearts are perfectly fine with me, iirc they put in a great effort to help save us.

Them turning up wearing maroon doing 5-1 signs in the Dunfermline end is one of the most embarrassing football related things I've heard. 

Questions also have to be asked of the Dunfermline support for not battering them. 

I was at the game and the lad with the black jacket continually putting up the 5-1 sign is a Pars fan. 

As for Hearts fans in our end I think that's pathetic on their part. I've no love of them, especially the Loyalist element in their support.

3 hours ago, Pete Rockwell said:

Them turning up wearing maroon doing 5-1 signs in the Dunfermline end is one of the most embarrassing football related things I've heard. 

Questions also have to be asked of the Dunfermline support for not battering them. 

UM1nN14.jpg

14 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

There was loads of Hearts fans in among our support for the 4-0 relegation game back in 2012 as well. They all left early when we started to get pumped. Strange folk. I wonder if they realise they're actively supporting their rivals financially?

I'd much rather they cam in the home end at East End v Hibs.

Archived