Celtic vs Partick Thistle

this argument is redundant,making money so clubs can run within there means,celtic making the champions league makes celtic more financially stable but celtic do not budget for champions league money because there is no guarantee we can get there every season,as far as Aberdeen is concerned if Aberdeen made the Europa group stages the same argument apply's,the more dosh clubs make hopefully more goes into the team and every club will become more competitive,every team has there financial level with that comes the team that's on the pitch,celtic also have players in the first team that came through the youth(tierney,forrest and mcgregor)this is were we also can see were the money is getting spent.      

You are missing the point

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

You have lost sight of football as a sport.

You are looking at it through the eyes of sky sports etc.

The diddies as were called support a team out of a pride in our local community whilst respecting the communities of the majority of our opposition. The fundamental principle being that those in the same league are our opposition and rivals.

You however have elevated yourself in your mind above the rest of us based on commerciality. Whilst that is maybe reasonable given modern football it doesn't sit well with the diddy support. We support our local clubs for reasons far beyond success or big attendances. Therefore your argument is completely lost on us. You will probably see that as totally wrong and thats fine.

Just respect the fact that supporters of any club want to see their club successful, celtic getting proportionately a huge sum of money does not help that. It is a simple fact.

I can appreciate that but I expect you and other supporters to also respect the fact that some of us OF fans also support our local club for reasons beyond success or big attendances, me included.

I like to think that I am pretty objective in my views on here and stating that Partick Thistle and Celtic are miles apart and not competing with each other directly is common sense rather than disrespect or anything else.

12 minutes ago, Tartantony said:
I can appreciate that but I expect you and other supporters to also respect the fact that some of us OF fans also support our local club for reasons beyond success or big attendances, me included.

I like to think that I am pretty objective in my views on here and stating that Partick Thistle and Celtic are miles apart and not competing with each other directly is common sense rather than disrespect or anything else.

Well if you support celtic out of supporting your local team then you'll realise that every football fan wants their team to finish in the highest possible position.

Yes it may be naive to suggest partick thistle will win the league but why be a football supporter without hope? Why support a team when you're happy to finish 10th?

If Celtic make the CL groups then fair play, you will reap the benefits of it. Just don't expect fans of other teams to support it, the CL is simply a vehicle to widen the gap between the have and have nots, it is as simple as that.

2 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

It's not, it's just the "Scottish football is about the OF and the rest are just to make up the numbers" attitude put in a very slightly different way.

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Why support a team when you're happy to finish 10th?

Happy to accept the points on the Champions League so will stop that chat now.

Concentrating on the above statement, as football supporters, we don't support our clubs for the success, we support them through love of our clubs and the hope of success. A Thistle fan can still love his club and hope for success whilst being realistic enough to know that they are likely going to be a lower Premiership team or high Championship team most of the time. Someone telling them this fact doesn't need to be seen as disrespectful or having an agenda of any sort.

When it comes to European football we become the "diddy" fans so I know fine well the feeling you refer to. I know we will never win the thing and am realistic enough to accept our place in European football while hoping that we achieve the impossible. Similar to you, I despise reading Man Utd/ Chelsea/ Man City fans pounding us online for being diddys in Europe and I want them to get pumped out as early as possible so I can certainly appreciate your sentiment.

1 minute ago, Tartantony said:

Happy to accept the points on the Champions League so will stop that chat now.

Concentrating on the above statement, as football supporters, we don't support our clubs for the success, we support them through love of our clubs and the hope of success. A Thistle fan can still love his club and hope for success whilst being realistic enough to know that they are likely going to be a lower Premiership team or high Championship team most of the time. Someone telling them this fact doesn't need to be seen as disrespectful or having an agenda of any sort.

When it comes to European football we become the "diddy" fans so I know fine well the feeling you refer to. I know we will never win the thing and am realistic enough to accept our place in European football while hoping that we achieve the impossible. Similar to you, I despise reading Man Utd/ Chelsea/ Man City fans pounding us online for being diddys in Europe and I want them to get pumped out as early as possible so I can certainly appreciate your sentiment.

Again, whilst what you say is true, you've missed the fundamental point. 

Myself, Thistle fans etc realise our diddy place within Scottish football, we are not naive to that fact. However we all live in hope that one day our team will break that glass ceiling.  It may never happen, I appreciate that.  But Celtic qualifying for the CL certainly doesn't help.

Again, we all know it is naive, but we live in hope.  Not expectaton.

10 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Well for you support celtic out of supporting your local team then you'll realise that every football fan wants their team to finish in the highest possible position.

Yes it may be naive to suggest partick thistle will win the league but why be a football supporter without hope? Why support a team when you're happy to finish 10th?

If Celtic make the CL groups then fair play, you will reap the benefits of it. Just don't expect fans of other teams to support it, the CL is simply a vehicle to widen the gap between the have and have nots, it is as simple as that.

you are missing the point,i support every scottish club that goes into Europe,this is not just about the money that is made it's about playing against better opponents so you can improve as a team,we all know that money is become a necessary evil within the game,if Aberdeen or hearts or hibs got to the group stages it would have made your game more competitive,celtic does not control how much money we make in the champions league we as fans want to see your team compete at the highest level possible. 

4 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

you are missing the point,i support every scottish club that goes into Europe,this is not just about the money that is made it's about playing against better opponents so you can improve as a team,we all know that money is become a necessary evil within the game,if Aberdeen or hearts or hibs got to the group stages it would have made your game more competitive,celtic does not control how much money we make in the champions league we as fans want to see your team compete at the highest level possible. 

Explain the bit in bold to me.

5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Again, whilst what you say is true, you've missed the fundamental point. 

Myself, Thistle fans etc realise our diddy place within Scottish football, we are not naive to that fact. However we all live in hope that one day our team will break that glass ceiling.  It may never happen, I appreciate that.  But Celtic qualifying for the CL certainly doesn't help.

Again, we all know it is naive, but we live in hope.  Not expectaton.

I do get the point but maybe you've missed my point somewhere along the way.

I am merely talking about Partick Thistle here and other clubs of similar size. I can fully appreciate why Aberdeen and Hearts fans don't want us in the Champions League as I would class these teams as our direct rivals and I fully believe they are both capable of winning the League at some point in the future given the correct circumstances and Celtic making the Champions League is a very bad thing for you.

However, I'm not accepting that our progress in Europe has any bearing on Thistle for the reasons I've been saying. If that's taken as disrespectful to Thistle then fine.

12 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I genuinely have no idea what you're on about mate

4 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

I do get the point but maybe you've missed my point somewhere along the way.

I am merely talking about Partick Thistle here and other clubs of similar size. I can fully appreciate why Aberdeen and Hearts fans don't want us in the Champions League as I would class these teams as our direct rivals and I fully believe they are both capable of winning the League at some point in the future given the correct circumstances and Celtic making the Champions League is a very bad thing for you.

However, I'm not accepting that our progress in Europe has any bearing on Thistle for the reasons I've been saying. If that's taken as disrespectful to Thistle then fine.

I do kind of see what you're saying.  And I will again repeat, Thistle fans, dons fans etc are wise enough to understand the differences in resources and the respective chances of winning the league.

What I am saying, and it may be totally naive, is that football fans live in a bubble of hoping to be as successful as possible and maybe even that impossible dream of winning the league.  That is the case for Aberdeen, Hearts, Partick Thistle or whoever.  Therefore Celtic qualifying for the CL is counter productive in that regard.  Even as a Dons fan, I have no expectation of winning the league, it is entirely blind hope, however I will live in that hope until the day I die.  Naive? yes. Of course it is.  But that is the real football fan.

7 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

What I am saying, and it may be totally naive, is that football fans live in a bubble of hoping to be as successful as possible and maybe even that impossible dream of winning the league.  That is the case for Aberdeen, Hearts, Partick Thistle or whoever.  Therefore Celtic qualifying for the CL is counter productive in that regard.  Even as a Dons fan, I have no expectation of winning the league, it is entirely blind hope, however I will live in that hope until the day I die.  Naive? yes. Of course it is.  But that is the real football fan.

I think we are kind of agreeing and disagreeing at the same time here.

Perhaps the problem is that where you think you are being naïve in terms of Aberdeen, I think you are being realistic. Your budget is a hell of a lot closer to ours than Thistles and I genuinely think Aberdeen are capable of winning the League given the right circumstances (i.e. no injuries to key players, keeping suspensions to a minimum, signing one or two more players in key positions, especially a centre mid). I would then expect Aberdeen fans to hate us making the CL for obvious reasons.

For Thistle, while they live in hope and rightly so, in my opinion its completely different than the Aberdeen scenario as we are already light-years ahead of them without the CL that the impact is negligible hence I don't see why it matters either way for them.

If there was such a thing as a Hope-ometer from 0 - 100. Aberdeens would go from about 70 to 40 if we make the Champions League. Thistles would go from 10 to 8. Bit of a weird analogy but hopefully it makes it clearer what im getting at.

I think we are kind of agreeing and disagreeing at the same time here.

Perhaps the problem is that where you think you are being naïve in terms of Aberdeen, I think you are being realistic. Your budget is a hell of a lot closer to ours than Thistles and I genuinely think Aberdeen are capable of winning the League given the right circumstances (i.e. no injuries to key players, keeping suspensions to a minimum, signing one or two more players in key positions, especially a centre mid). I would then expect Aberdeen fans to hate us making the CL for obvious reasons.

For Thistle, while they live in hope and rightly so, in my opinion its completely different than the Aberdeen scenario as we are already light-years ahead of them without the CL that the impact is negligible hence I don't see why it matters either way for them.

If there was such a thing as a Hope-ometer from 0 - 100. Aberdeens would go from about 70 to 40 if we make the Champions League. Thistles would go from 10 to 8. Bit of a weird analogy but hopefully it makes it clearer what im getting at.

Nope you're missing my point again.

I know and thistle fans know fine well where they sit in terms of recourses and likelihood of winning the league. That doesn't mean that you support the top team in the league earning 20 times as much as you to render any hopes of competing completely redundant.

40 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

50 minutes ago, archie guevara said:

Explain the bit in bold to me.

42 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

football is about levels,every club every country has it's level,celtic is the dominant force in Scottish football,if you take celtic out of scotland and put them in the EPL or la liga they would may be in aberdeen position or thistles positions in terms of winning the league in these countries,so celtic would become the Leicester of last year,this proves if you have a good manager and a good team you can achieve things,for me Aberdeen or thistle could win the league cup or the Scottish cup  because in a one off game any team can beat any team football has teach us that over the years. eg .celtic v Barcelona, celtic v morton,  thistle in 1971

football is about levels,every club every country has it's level,celtic is the dominant force in Scottish football,if you take celtic out of scotland and put them in the EPL or la liga they would may be in aberdeen position or thistles positions in terms of winning the league in these countries,so celtic would become the Leicester of last year,this proves if you have a good manager and a good team you can achieve things,for me Aberdeen or thistle could win the league cup or the Scottish cup  because in a one off game any team can beat any team football has teach us that over the years. eg .celtic v Barcelona, celtic v morton,  thistle in 1971

You may be right in terms of reality but that is certainly not what football should 'be about'

51 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Nope you're missing my point again.

I know and thistle fans know fine well where they sit in terms of recourses and likelihood of winning the league. That doesn't mean that you support the top team in the league earning 20 times as much as you to render any hopes of competing completely redundant.

Yeah I get it but cant agree with it haha

27 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Whats this got to do with the discussion though? You've just dived in with a completely irrelevant point that doesn't support anyone's point of view

Again, it is disrespectful. They know fine well the difference in resources champions league or not.

However the simple fact remains, we are in the same league therefore you are a direct rival.

Sorry but you're being pedantic here. You know fine well he is correct. Thistle are not expected to challenge for the title. We are. Yes they are expected to do their best against us but realistically they will not win the league. I can't even recall them
Making the top 6 and that is their main goal...not being competition for Celtic.

If you want a pedantic argument then yes, they are our competition. If you want a realistic argument, then Thistle are not competition for Celtic.

Hell, how many times do you hear managers and players of clubs like Thistle, Killie, Hamilton Accies etc say that their season isn't determined by how they do against Celtic, but against the teams fighting round about them. Yet a Celtic fan says it and it's disrespectful??

It amuses me that Celtic fans assume £200k Is some huge windfall we're all over the moon to receive.

We get that in interest every month from the bank.

Sorry but you're being pedantic here. You know fine well he is correct. Thistle are not expected to challenge for the title. We are. Yes they are expected to do their best against us but realistically they will not win the league. I can't even recall them
Making the top 6 and that is their main goal...not being competition for Celtic.

If you want a pedantic argument then yes, they are our competition. If you want a realistic argument, then Thistle are not competition for Celtic.

Hell, how many times do you hear managers and players of clubs like Thistle, Killie, Hamilton Accies etc say that their season isn't determined by how they do against Celtic, but against the teams fighting round about them. Yet a Celtic fan says it and it's disrespectful??

Predictably, you've missed the point again David

Archived