Celtic vs Partick Thistle

What's that you say? Celtic have devalued the integrity of the league and rather than unveil the league flag in front of their rediscovered support would rather swan off and play some diddy friendly?

Or maybe they just shat it from the Thistle..again ;)

I hope no hangers on booked the ferry from the Emerald Isle for this one*.

Spoiler

I hope they did 8)

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agreed with this rule when the season was starting super early as it was depriving us from big money friendlies due to our league starting well before all the big leagues, but we're now not really that far off the start time of the other leagues & I'd prefer Celtic to get our glamour friendlies etc out the way before the season started.

I've got another week left off work on holiday & I could've made this game, but no doubt when it's re-scheduled I'll be working depending on my shift so that'll be a game I lose out on my ST.

It'll give the other title contenders a chance to drop more points  put more pressure on and make the league seem interesting.

I for one will welcome the 'Celts in crisis' headlines when we're two points behind with 2 games in hand.

"Big money" they say, "glamour" they say, Brother Walfrid spins in his grave as the club he founded to raise money for the poor, chases the corporate pound.

You moan when we're stuck in the past, you moan when we move with the times.

Absolutely hate when we arrange a pre-season fixture for after the season has started. We already play enough games throughout the course of the season with the cups and europe to add on an unecessary game in hand. :thumbsdown

Absolutely hate when we arrange a pre-season fixture for after the season has started. We already play enough games throughout the course of the season with the cups and europe to add on an unecessary game in hand. :thumbsdown

Sadly given the peanuts on offer in Scottish football for a club our size trying to rub shoulders with European Giants, this is what they feel needs to be done, frustrating as it is.

The sooner the OF Fck off down to England or their respective Irish leagues of choice the better.  The contempt they have for the other teams in Scotland is shocking, epitomized by Celtic ditching their game on Saturday to play a glamour friendly which will result in them playing 20 players over the course of the game, therefore the football benefit will be the grand some of fck all.

The sooner the OF Fck off down to England or their respective Irish leagues of choice the better.  The contempt they have for the other teams in Scotland is shocking, epitomized by Celtic ditching their game on Saturday to play a glamour friendly which will result in them playing 20 players over the course of the game, therefore the football benefit will be the grand some of fck all.

Well it's a league rule so most of the clubs must've agreed to it. Hardly showing contempt.

19 hours ago, Davie Bhoy said:

Sadly given the peanuts on offer in Scottish football for a club our size trying to rub shoulders with European Giants, this is what they feel needs to be done, frustrating as it is.

If you want to 'rub shoulders' with Europe's elite, you could err, you know, qualify for the Champions League group stages.

Winning the European Cup once, fifty years ago doesn't make you a big European club. It's time Celtic fans realised this. 

Celtic is a big club in Europe in many respects. They're also the covers band of European football. You want them for a gig, you can hire them and the fans will follow. Not a criticism of the fans, I would add.

Of course, the fans don't show en masse when there are home games against diddy clubs like the Jags. Their team is entitled to win.

I never understand why people get so upset with this, its a league rule, any team can cancel a game if they want, not just Celtic.

The money on offer for this game is far too much for us to turn down and if Thistle or any other team were in a position to play a friendly for a lot of money, I can guarantee they would cancel their league match as well.

Archived