Celtic vs Partick Thistle

It's a league rule, so that's alright then. 

I take the point about other teams playing friendlies, especially lucrative ones, but perhaps that's a bit like saying a guy who works at a sawmill in a small Mississippi town is entitled to run for presidency of the US - all he needs is a fat personal fortune, a blow job machine in Washington and a few helpful billionaires.

What's the point of a rule/arrangement you can't realistically use but you get knocked about because someone else can?

The usual like-it-or-lump-it of the Scottish game, I guess.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

I never understand why people get so upset with this, its a league rule, any team can cancel a game if they want, not just Celtic.

The money on offer for this game is far too much for us to turn down and if Thistle or any other team were in a position to play a friendly for a lot of money, I can guarantee they would cancel their league match as well.

Stop trying to turn this round. You shat it from the Thistle.

If you want to 'rub shoulders' with Europe's elite, you could err, you know, qualify for the Champions League group stages.

Winning the European Cup once, fifty years ago doesn't make you a big European club. It's time Celtic fans realised this. 

We'll never be competing with the elite of Europe. No Celtic fan is daft enough to think otherwise, however to suggest we aren't a big club in Europe is ridiculous. Unfortunately, Europe has a lot of big clubs & many with better resources from their league than what we have. So I come back to my point, if we want to rub shoulders with these clubs, sadly we need to look at maximising our revenue.

On ‎09‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 13:01, Dr Koop said:

It's a league rule, so that's alright then. 

I take the point about other teams playing friendlies, especially lucrative ones, but perhaps that's a bit like saying a guy who works at a sawmill in a small Mississippi town is entitled to run for presidency of the US - all he needs is a fat personal fortune, a blow job machine in Washington and a few helpful billionaires.

What's the point of a rule/arrangement you can't realistically use but you get knocked about because someone else can?

The usual like-it-or-lump-it of the Scottish game, I guess.

Aberdeen have taken advantage of it before, Thistle can do as well, its really not our fault Thistle are a complete irrelevance in Scottish football.

On ‎09‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 13:01, Hammer Jag said:

That's because you're a thick as a brick Old Firm fan.

haha ok kiddo

14 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

Aberdeen have taken advantage of it before, Thistle can do as well, its really not our fault Thistle are a complete irrelevance in Scottish football.

We weren't an irrelevance when our New Year's Day game at Firhill against you was postponed, upsetting all the bhigots who had got the ferry over. Good times.

Pain in the arse but Celtic make more money from this than they get for winning the league, don't blame them for taking advantage of it. On the other hand, even though any other club can do the same, it's not like we can set up glamour friendlies with the likes of Inter and Barca, so the rule is only really helping one club at the moment.

That? Those finely tuned, well remunerated professional athletes? Was there a complaint about fixture congestion. Shirley the money makes it better?

Rules of the game are great. All well and good if you can afford to take advantage of them - like Al Bundy's bid for the White House.

I'm kinda glad this game is postponed at the moment...

Well, if both teams had played like they played in the cup last week someone bodyswerved a drubbing.

They've used it as a rest day prior to their Champions League qualifier, then?

Partially. For our key players who've played a lot of games recently but we still played Armstrong, Johansen, Izaguirre who could feature while the likes of Christie, Henderson, Boyata, Ambrose, Ajar could all feature from the bench.

It's a squad game.

I see Rodgers is now saying that he thinks it's a bad idea to play a friendly like this in preference to a competitive league match. Apart from the fact that it's paying his humungous salary, that seems a reasonable view.  So we are back to money and the power of the green pound, which all seems a bit sad when you think about how unbalanced football is in this country.

Archived