Oliver Burke

Contra

1 hour ago, PrestersKTID said:

Did well to set the 2nd goal up in the game at the weekend. Just  dropped the shoulder and powered to the byline cut across tap in. Easy.

The rest of the team seem tiny next to him, he looks a tank

Yeah noticed this as well. Unit.

Fletcher would be best playing behind a striker.  They tried it in the Denmark friendly, and I maintain that's the best that he's looked for us.  If we can get the right person playing further forward then we could be onto something.  Would also allow us to concentrate more on getting midfielders in to shield our dreadful, dreadful defenders.

2 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Another 20 mins for Burke from the bench today as Leipzig win again. Level on points with Bayern now...
Makes me wonder: if Red Bull bought their way into Scottish football created a superpower to overcome the old firm, how welcome would they be?

To be honest it wouldn't take a huge investment like what is being spent at liepzig,   some sugar daddy could buy Aberdeen for less than 10mil and it would only need 20 million spent on players to instantly challenge.

1 hour ago, kenny131 said:

To be honest it wouldn't take a huge investment like what is being spent at liepzig,   some sugar daddy could buy Aberdeen for less than 10mil and it would only need 20 million spent on players to instantly challenge.

So some random with 30 mil in the bank could come in buy a club in the spfl and instantly challenge for the league ? Personally disagree especially considering the going rate down south lately for decent players. Aberdeen have a great infrastructure right now but throwing money at a couple of quality players would probably upset their whole dynamic of what they have been working towards the last few years. Plus with the squad we have assembled I think it will take more than that to realistically be there come may.

45 minutes ago, Disco30 said:

So some random with 30 mil in the bank could come in buy a club in the spfl and instantly challenge for the league ? Personally disagree especially considering the going rate down south lately for decent players. Aberdeen have a great infrastructure right now but throwing money at a couple of quality players would probably upset their whole dynamic of what they have been working towards the last few years. Plus with the squad we have assembled I think it will take more than that to realistically be there come may.

20 million on players would buy you more than a couple for the spfl to challenge no problem 

40 minutes ago, Disco30 said:

Was thinking the same myself. With £30m you could buy a few quality players (say three £5m men, each with wages of £5m), and that might well strengthen the likes of Aberdeen and give them the edge, or it could just as well implode if a few of those players didn't settle or flopped.

I remember Hearts getting £8m in 1998/1999 and the media going into a frenzy about how they were going to topple the old firm with this new war chest. In the end, they bought Fitzroy Simpson and Gordan Petric each for less than a million, their wages swallowing up as much again or more, and the rest of the money was used to plug holes here there and everywhere. Petric and Simpson were both good players, but certainly not the key to breaking the old firm boremageddon.

You'd probably be looking at a magnate with £100m up front and the same again to fund continuous success for more than the lifespan of a single team.

Anyway, enough pie (and bovril) in the sky nonsense for a Sunday night, I'm off to my pit.

21 minutes ago, kenny131 said:

20 million on players would buy you more than a couple for the spfl to challenge no problem 

Usually u make a lot of sense Kenny but on this one your logic is way off. Personally think it would take triple the figures you're quoting and even then it's not a guarantee throwing money and big wages at players would guarantee success.

Celtic starting 11 can't be far off costing around 20 million unless I missed a few big transfer deals.  The Scottish champions dont spend 5 million on a player nowhere near there team is full off bargain buys in today's market

Edited by kenny131
Knob

Just now, kenny131 said:

Celtic starting 11 can't be far off costing around 20 million unless I missed a few big transfer deals

Depends on whether you include wages, but I'd be surprised if fees alone totalled £20m

27 minutes ago, Disco30 said:

Usually u make a lot of sense Kenny but on this one your logic is way off. Personally think it would take triple the figures you're quoting and even then it's not a guarantee throwing money and big wages at players would guarantee success.

It works for the old firm

And any team looking to financially steamroller the old firm would be looking at buying in, say, 3 players of sinclair's quality to kick things off. I.e 3 * £4-5m + 3 * £5m in wages. That's £30m at the barest minimum. And who's to say you'll get 3 sinclairs and not a hattrick of teemu pukkis?