Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

I only remember going to Muirton Park once, and we sat in the stand. My Dad sent me down for some refreshments at half time - a wooden hut in the away end if I remember correctly; I had to go down the stairs from the stand to the enclosure then up to the terrace behind the goal - and got my two teas and a pie. Took one bite of the pie and nearly threw up as it was a steak and kidney pie! Was that a thing at Murton back then or was I just unlucky? 

5 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

To return to tapered stands: went to U21s at Tynecastle last night and noted the Main Stand is slightly tapered at the Roseburn end.

Can't say it seems very obvious why it is, though.

Hearts-Tynecastle-stadium.jpg

What happened to the big black distillery building behind the Wheatfield side?

7 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Seeing the morton player volley the ball at his own keeper to casually pick up is a very bizarre sight!

On some of the full highlights which I've posted from that era, Roy Baines often catches/saves the ball and then chucks it into the air only to catch it again after taking a few steps forward in the box.

Really odd to see when we think of the six second rule that came along later.

What happened to the big black distillery building behind the Wheatfield side?

The distillery has moved all their bonded warehouse operations out to West Lothian.

The ones in the aerial shot held a tiny proportion of the total anyway.

The "Murrayfield" Sainsbury's in Gorgie is on the site of some far bigger warehouses they used to operate.

I suspect that the long term strategy may be to move production out of town and cash in on the real estate

The distillery still own the "community pitches" at the back of the wheatfield but Hearts are building facilities for them into the Wheatfield so presumably they don't expect that to happen any time soon

The distillery has moved all their bonded warehouse operations out to West Lothian.

The ones in the aerial shot held a tiny proportion of the total anyway.

The "Murrayfield" Sainsbury's in Gorgie is on the site of some far bigger warehouses they used to operate.

I suspect that the long term strategy may be to move production out of town and cash in on the real estate

The distillery still own the "community pitches" at the back of the wheatfield but Hearts are building facilities for them into the Wheatfield so presumably they don't expect that to happen any time soon

Don't think they will sell for a while as the land will be "contaminated" and that will reduce the lands value

11 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

I always thought Forfar had a fairly big ground for a club of their size.

Maybe the terracing with the two ends open and the open space either side of the small Main Stand makes it seem to have more space, but the ground itself isn't that big at all. This is another largely untouched ground over the decades and well maintained. Unusual also for the floodlights on top of the roofing are similar to Cappielow and Rugby Park. Are there football grounds in Scotland apart from those three that still have flood lights like that?

Edit: With that covered standing area opposite the Main Stand which looks built fairly recent I doubt there would have been a lot of space there.

Football travels Dec 09  to May 10 088.jpg

Football travels Dec 09  to May 10 024.jpg

Football travels Dec 09  to May 10 025.jpg

Football travels Dec 09  to May 10 072.jpg

Football travels Dec 09  to May 10 092.jpg

Football travels Dec 09  to May 10 093.jpg

Image result for station park forfar

Edited by CityDave

Rugby Park - The rather nice floodlights on the roof of the Frank Beattie Stand and there are also lights on top of the East Stand. As mentioned before the East Stand tapers away and is another stand in an all seater stadium that doesn't run the full length of the pitch.

Football travels Dec 09  to May 10 095.jpg

Image result for rugby park kilmarnock

Image result for rugby park kilmarnock

Edited by CityDave

12 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

On some of the full highlights which I've posted from that era, Roy Baines often catches/saves the ball and then chucks it into the air only to catch it again after taking a few steps forward in the box.

Really odd to see when we think of the six second rule that came along later.

Would that have been a way of getting round the four-step rule, or is that from a different era?

11 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The very name "Rugby Park" is a quirk.

If got this right, it was named after the previous ground they used to play at, where rugby and cricket were also played. Someone with knowledge of the town might be able to show where this place is or was. Close to South Hamilton Street according to Wiki. If there are photos then that would be even better.

If got this right, it was named after the previous ground they used to play at, where rugby and cricket were also played. Someone with knowledge of the town might be able to show where this place is or was. Close to South Hamilton Street according to Wiki. If there are photos then that would be even better.

Scotland's Rugby team are playing Georgia there later this year so for once it won't be a misnomer

2 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

Yes - now that you mention it, I think the keeper had to release the ball after four steps.

No, he bounced it every 4 steps. There was no limit to how long he could have the ball.

EDIT - sorry I mean the sixties/seventies. You maybe mean later, if I can remember he got 4 steps then had to kick it upfield or dribble it.

Edited by The Mantis

2 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

The older  floodlighting mentioned is actually called drench lighting.

Don't think that's right if you're meaning the Rugby Park photos above. Drench lighting was the style in Scotland where the 4 corner pylons were the same as England but the top bits were angled down.