Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

17 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

No apology needed (apart from getting my name wrong).

Why the shooting down in flames comment? It was a genuine question.

Oh, and friendlies do not count! :P

Oops, so I did. I never noticed the spelling before. Apologies for that at least.

I read it as, in a good natured bit of fun way, as 'You wont get better than Falkirk playing a WC semi finalist at the ground' being met with 'Would two WC Finalists do?' Just banter, not typical P&B attempted one upmanship. It raised a chuckle here anyway. :)

2 hours ago, Grant228 said:

I may be wrong, but was it not Auchinleck who had a problem building the stand? They bought it from somewhere then painted over the components, in turn by doing this they covered all the serial numbers. So while they had the plans they had no idea where anything went.

It was something along those lines - when the stand was dismantled all the pieces were numbered to assist reassembling it, but then someone painted the pieces before reassembly.

On the famous players to have graced the turf thing - there was a thread somewhere in P&B a while ago which asked how many players in the FIFA Top 100 (or whatever it was) had played at your ground. I've actually found it by Googling - it was in Infowire and called "Most Famous Opponent" - but the page won't open, so I presume it died in Div's merciless cull.

I was delighted to discover earlier that whoever runs the NonLeagueScotland website has a parallel one for club rugby in Scotland:

http://scottishclubrugby.org.uk/

One of the Edinburgh rugby grounds I've been to a few times is Stewart's Melville on Ferry Road, which has a magnificent stand with gables and a paddock in two levels of terracing:

stewartsmelville2.JPG

stewartsmelville5.JPG

stewartsmelville6.JPG

Are there any Scottish football grounds left which still have a paddock or enclosure in front of the grandstand seating?

East End Park has an enclosure although it has bucket seats and isn't used except for youth players in the home end and possibly the away end has had Rangers and Celtic fans since it was converted. I think the reason it's not used is a lack of toilets and catering although the away end now has a raised wheelchair platform so I'm guessing there is something there?

12 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

I was delighted to discover earlier that whoever runs the NonLeagueScotland website has a parallel one for club rugby in Scotland:

http://scottishclubrugby.org.uk/

One of the Edinburgh rugby grounds I've been to a few times is Stewart's Melville on Ferry Road, which has a magnificent stand with gables and a paddock in two levels of terracing:

stewartsmelville2.JPG

stewartsmelville5.JPG

stewartsmelville6.JPG

Are there any Scottish football grounds left which still have a paddock or enclosure in front of the grandstand seating?

Station Park and Cliftonhill spring to mind...

I wouldn't necessarily qualify Station Park as they're not really one piece i.e. its a shallow terrace with a "first storey" stand built behind subsequently? Perhaps that's wrong.

Cliftonhill is definitely an example, however. Subsequently the funny roof extension was put on the front:

Albion+Rovers+009.JPG

48 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I'm sure it's been mentioned but as HJ brought up the enclosure at Stark's Park, Raith's ground has two quirks about it - the only ground that is a rhyme (depending on your accent of course) and that it's surely the only ground in Scotland where you can't see the game from the half way line.

New Bayview?

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I'm sure it's been mentioned but as HJ brought up the enclosure at Stark's Park, Raith's ground has two quirks about it - the only ground that is a rhyme (depending on your accent of course) and that it's surely the only ground in Scotland where you can't see the game from the half way line.

Marie Curie United play at the Radium Stadium.

An indictment of the teaching of poetry in D&G, IMO. That said about half of people seem to think it's Shieldfield.

Although not rhyming, the Preston Athletic home ground - namely the Pennypit Park, Prestonpans - is not one you want say with your mouth full.

Parkside Park in Shotts, home for Dykehead's brief SFL sojourn, must be the least informative ground name ever.

Edited by HibeeJibee

9 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

An indictment of the teaching of poetry in D&G, IMO. That said about half of people seem to think it's Shieldfield.

Although not rhyming, the Preston Athletic home ground - namely the Pennypit Park, Prestonpans - is not one you want say with your mouth full.

Parkside Park in Shotts, home for Dykehead's brief SFL sojourn, must be the least informative ground name ever.

Quite the reverse.  A more ringing endorsement of standards would be hard to find.

Parkside Park does indeed display a wonderful redundancy.  Preston Athletic have a ground that scores well on the alliterative front.  There must be plenty of others.