Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Is 'paddock' a widely used term in this context?

I thought that what we called an enclosure was known as a paddock in the North of England.  Is the term also used up here?

Always the enclosure for me. Paddock is completely foreign imo.

Two other things that I find annoying about the commentators on MOTD. They say 'on this ground' where we say 'at this ground'  and they say a team is playing 'all in white' instead of 'in all white'. Of course they're all in white. That's why they buy them as a set :lol:

14 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Always the enclosure for me. Paddock is completely foreign imo.

Two other things that I find annoying about the commentators on MOTD. They say 'on this ground' where we say 'at this ground'  and they say a team is playing 'all in white' instead of 'in all white'. Of course they're all in white. That's why they buy them as a set :lol:

What about different expressions within Scotland for assuming the role of goalkeeper?

Is that person 'in goal'? 'in goals'? or even 'in nets'?

12 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

I was delighted to discover earlier that whoever runs the NonLeagueScotland website has a parallel one for club rugby in Scotland:

http://scottishclubrugby.org.uk/

One of the Edinburgh rugby grounds I've been to a few times is Stewart's Melville on Ferry Road, which has a magnificent stand with gables and a paddock in two levels of terracing:

stewartsmelville2.JPG

stewartsmelville5.JPG

stewartsmelville6.JPG

Are there any Scottish football grounds left which still have a paddock or enclosure in front of the grandstand seating?

Thanks for posting the link. I can't stand rugby but I did enjoy looking through the site. 

Boroughmuir have a smart looking ground.

Boroughmuir1.JPG

13 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Are there any Scottish football grounds left which still have a paddock or enclosure in front of the grandstand seating?

Firhill still has its enclosure in front of the main stand. But it appears to be all seated now.

PIC_0057.jpg

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I like it.

This thread needs more etymology.

Usually when there's two interchangeable words in English it the French/Latin one that sounds more high status and posh to a modern audience than the earthier Anglo-Saxon/Germanic counterpart,

Paddock may be an exception given it's association with horse ownership

Main Stand at Fir Park has the enclosure at the front of the main stand that shut when the Knowetop End was redeveloped. I've still got my grandpa's old season books from the enclosure in the loft

2 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Thanks for posting the link. I can't stand rugby but I did enjoy looking through the site. 

Boroughmuir have a smart looking ground.

Boroughmuir1.JPG

It's Rugby at the front and Hockey at the back
http://www.edinburghleisure.co.uk/sites/default/files/styles/hero_large/public/Meggetland astro (1).jpg

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Actually I remember being there once. About the only time I've ever paid into a rugby match. All the football was off, obviously...

I've been to all 5 of the Edinburgh club rugby grounds over the years. They're all fairly similar - big main stand, grass banks, bit terrace - except Edinburgh Academicals which is a tip.

Boroughmuir

Boroughmuir1.JPG

Edinburgh Academicals

edinburghaccies4.JPG

Heriots

heriots9.JPG

Stewart's Melville

stewartsmelville5.JPG

Watsonians

watsonians06.png

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

I've been to all 5 of the Edinburgh club rugby grounds over the years. They're all fairly similar - big main stand, grass banks, bit terrace - except Edinburgh Academicals which is a tip.

Edinburgh Academicals

edinburghaccies4.JPG

Accies couldn't build any higher on the west side of the ground because it spoils the view of the people in the building behind

There was a plan to knock down the old clubhouse and build a new structure on the east side which would incorporate a hotel, clubhouse and stand.

They got as far as knocking down the old clubhouse when the property market collapsed and everything fell through which is why they're still in the Portakabins shown in your picture.

The Grange Cricket Club are currently holding them to ransom/demanding a fair price (depending on who you believe) for a thin strip of land that they need to go ahead with the project. The Grange pavilion/stand looks about as quirky as anything so far on this thread. They stick up temporary stands when they're hosting bigger Scotland games.

grange_lacey_pav_cut.jpg