Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

On 10/18/2016 at 11:40, Monkey Tennis said:

Good one.

It was done as an incentive to buy a programme, because on the back page, you'd get a grid with each letter corresponding to a fixture.  I'm not sure when it died out, but I remember it still being on the go at the start of the 86/87 season, because the Airdrie subs ran over to us in the cowshed to check the Rangers score.

Palmerston also had the old scoreboard with letters, at the back of the Terregles Street end.  I remember the board being there, but I don't think I ever saw it being put to use.  I wasn't a regular for several more years, but my first games were in the mid 70s, so  I think it had probably fallen into disuse by then.

They wid 

9 hours ago, shull said:

They wid 

'Tis true.  They did nothing to challenge the stereotype.  I was there with a pal and his nephew who was about nine.  A couple of subs came over going "What's the fucking Rangers score?"  Nice boys.

As it was, Rangers lost to Hibs 2-0 that day.  It was the one where Souness a got sent off on his debut.

On 18/10/2016 at 10:39, Salvo Montalbano said:

Talking about old fashioned ways, can anyone remember when different grounds stopped announcing the half times in code? I think I remember being at a game in maybe the late 80s at Fir Park (might have been Tannadice though - I can remember a yellowy orange colour in my head somewhere) that still did the old "A: 1-0, B: 1-1, C: 0-0, D: 0-1" etc and me having to ask my old man what that was all about. The other grounds I'd been to at that point I'm sure had just given the scores out in plain speech.

Kilmarnocks old stadium also had a half time scoreboard at the Rugby Road end which could only be accurately deciphered if you bought a programme.

That disappeared of course with the redevelopment of the ground 

FB_IMG_1476995016254.jpg

The old Cowshed at Palmerston Park.

Brings back memories, thanks for posting.

You could see the Bradford and Bingley roof from space.

The "toilet" behind the coo shed was something else.

Talking about old fashioned ways, can anyone remember when different grounds stopped announcing the half times in code? I think I remember being at a game in maybe the late 80s at Fir Park (might have been Tannadice though - I can remember a yellowy orange colour in my head somewhere) that still did the old "A: 1-0, B: 1-1, C: 0-0, D: 0-1" etc and me having to ask my old man what that was all about. The other grounds I'd been to at that point I'm sure had just given the scores out in plain speech.

Was still on the go at Tannadice in 87/88 IIRC. We were 0-2 down at Ht in a Derby and trying to work out the scores was the only slightly interesting thing left to do.

At Dens they were just given over in detail on the tannoy.

On 22/10/2016 at 16:25, kennysmassiveego said:

Kilmarnocks old stadium also had a half time scoreboard at the Rugby Road end which could only be accurately deciphered if you bought a programme.

That disappeared of course with the redevelopment of the ground 

Sponsored by Johnny Walkers I think?

30 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

Was still on the go at Tannadice in 87/88 IIRC. We were 0-2 down at Ht in a Derby and trying to work out the scores was the only slightly interesting thing left to do.

At Dens they were just given over in detail on the tannoy.

Yeah, I can remember United still doing it in the late '80s. Was in the corner between the old 'Seggy' and Arklay Street end?

7 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

I think they were at Cappielow at least as late as 1994. I'm sure it was there in my first season of going there.

19 hours ago, kennysmassiveego said:

Yes they also " sponsored " the old away end shed with the red roof.

Used to love the atmosphere at derbies at the old Rugby Park, seggy fence was no place for the faint hearted! Was never the same when it was moved to the end of the enclosure. 

1 hour ago, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

I don't remember the fence ever being moved but I remember the 'fun' to be had before there was any segregation at all, other than a thin blue line of Ayrshire's finest trying to keep the peace. Defo not for the faint hearted.

My mind may be playing tricks with me but I'm sure it did. I also seem to remember that the Killie fans didn't really go into the new extended section and stuck to their original crush barrier/area. Maybe someone can confirm or refute!

On 10/24/2016 at 03:56, Randy Giles said:

I think they were at Cappielow at least as late as 1994. I'm sure it was there in my first season of going there.

It was still in place, if not used at the end of 1995-96 season. From the Dundee United game on the final day of that season;

2361-joyous-tangerines-dundee-united-at-greenock-mortonscotland-year1996-by-stuart-roy-clarke-1349x1030.jpg

It's now anadvert for McGill's Buses, with the clock still in place, I'm sure.

I can't remember the boards being used that often if ever (I started going to games regularly in about 1986) but I do remember the letters and scores being announced over the tannoy. I also remember that the announcer would only ever say the number and surname when giving out the teams and scorers and being quite surprised (impressed even?) when I first heard the guy read out the full name.