Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

On 29/09/2016 at 09:27, locheedfcno1 said:

Top pic has a bit of the Hamden look?

Aye that's what I thought when I passed it.

Speaking of grounds close together, Aberdeen East End and Lewis United play about 10 yards from one another:

CtntgSIXEAA78sV.jpg

And it's also very close to Pittodrie:
Ctnt1EuWYAAQVkC.jpg

12 hours ago, Marr1 said:

Aye that's what I thought when I passed it.

Speaking of grounds close together, Aberdeen East End and Lewis United play about 10 yards from one another:

CtntgSIXEAA78sV.jpg

And it's also very close to Pittodrie:
Ctnt1EuWYAAQVkC.jpg

Aberdeen being the only city/town in Scotland with more than one example of having two football grounds right next door. Too the north over the Don, Hermes and Hall Russell Utd.

Edinburgh - Were there two East of Scotland teams playing next door to each other at Muirhouse during the 80's? Civil Service Strollers were one who was the other or did they share?

Were there other clubs playing next door to each other or sharing in the EoSL. I'm not sure about Lothian Thistle and Tynecastle?

Another two clubs that briefly played next door to each other were New Elgin and Bishopmill Utd at Pinefield until Bishopmill look to have folded after only a couple of seasons playing there. Bishopmill Utd's old pitch at Deanshaugh will go down as another lost ground.

I think there had to be work done to the field after repeated flooding and because of the pollution it was deemed unsafe so after years of Bishopmill Utd playing in their own area of the town they were forced to move.

Pinefields itself has a bit of history having been used as an army rifle range and there would have been barracks nearby. The banking overlooking the pitches probably still have spent bullets and shell fragments buried in it. The pitch closest to the banking is the one used by New Elgin. The pitch next door which had in the past been used by Bishopmill Utd and by Inverness City after being turfed out of the Northern Meeting Park is now used by the local amateurs and youth teams. I'm not sure if there is a ladies team that uses this as well. Also the pitch serves as a good emergency option for other nearby Juniors clubs if their pitches are being used for something else (Fochabers) or if their own ground isn't in any condition to play after poor weather.

New Elgin's pitch at Pinefields below

Image result for elgin pinefields

Image result for elgin pinefields

Image result for new elgin pinefield

Video here of a 2011 North Juniors match between Bishopmill Utd and Dufftown on the other pitch at Pinefields, couldn't find any pictures of the 2nd pitch unfortunately. Bishopmill Utd in dark blue.

Heading down to Ayr today where the old fashioned nature of Somerset (which I enjoy) means nipping to the loo which is just a space between the two turnstiles with a trough to pee into (at least it's not just the wall as it used to be at many grounds and might still be at Cappilow?). I think female toilets were an afterthought for many years and there are not portaloos once you get into the ground. 

2 hours ago, CityDave said:

Edinburgh - Were there two East of Scotland teams playing next door to each other at Muirhouse during the 80's? Civil Service Strollers were one who was the other or did they share?

Were there other clubs playing next door to each other or sharing in the EoSL. I'm not sure about Lothian Thistle and Tynecastle?

Lothian Thistle and Tynecastle currently share. I think Postal United may have played at Muirhouse in the 80s but not 100% sure. In the 80s Manor Thistle, who become Edinburgh Athletic played there and merged into Leith Athletic in 2008.

Edited by cowdenbeath

15 hours ago, Zen Archer said:

The toilets at Cappielow.

Cappielow shitter.jpg

Leaky roof probably.

Reminds me, sometimes having a roof on the stand can't protect us from the worst of the weather, especially if the wind forces the rain under the roof. The Main Stand at Inverness is a good example because our weather tends to come from the westerly direction most of the year and the open nature of the geography around the Moray Firth a downpour with added wind can clear the stand very quickly during a match, clearing seats right up to the walkway.

I've heard and experienced some grounds themselves tending to act as wind tunnels if the wind comes in from the right direction and some act like trenches where the coldest air will sink to be the bottom layer of air at pitch level when there's no wind at all, when the conditions are right. All dependent on how the stadium is built and the geography of the land around.

5 minutes ago, CityDave said:

Leaky roof probably.

Reminds me, sometimes having a roof on the stand can't protect us from the worst of the weather, especially if the wind forces the rain under the roof. The Main Stand at Inverness is a good example because our weather tends to come from the westerly direction most of the year and the open nature of the geography around the Moray Firth a downpour with added wind can clear the stand very quickly during a match, clearing seats right up to the walkway.

I've heard and experienced some grounds themselves tending to act as wind tunnels if the wind comes in from the right direction and some act like trenches where the coldest air will sink to be the bottom layer of air at pitch level when there's no wind at all, when the conditions are right. All dependent on how the stadium is built and the geography of the land around.

Nothing so elaborate, someone had placed the fire bucket(it's full of sand) to prevent idiots from sitting in a broken seat.

4 hours ago, CityDave said:

Civil Service Strollers and Edinburgh Athletic - previously Manor Thistle, subsequently Leith Athletic - played on adjacent pitches at Muirhouse.

Leith moved to Meadowbank 3G (separated from Edinburgh City's Meadowbank Stadium only by the sports centre):
http://nonleaguescotland.org.uk/leith.htm

CSS have now built themselves a modest stadium on a different part of Muirhouse. Some of the rest is becoming a 5-asides dome:
http://nonleaguescotland.org.uk/civil.htm

LTHV and Tynecastle shared Saughton Enclosure from last season:
http://nonleaguescotland.org.uk/lothian.htm

Edited by HibeeJibee

For completeness worth saying that from 1960s to 1990s various combinations of Ferranti Thistle, Postal United, Craigroyston, Spartans and Hibs 'B' shared City Park in Pilton.

That ground had started life as the original Edinburgh City's final ground.

Prior to moving to City Park, Spartans (originally a "graduate team") shared Canal Field with Edinburgh University. I think Edinburgh Police used another pitch in the complex.

Ground history in Edinburgh is exceedingly complex.

Most of the grounds used in non-league football were municipal facilities, complexes developed for associations or institutions or multi-use stadiums with an additional use for athletics, greyhounds, speedway etc. As such clubs tended to move around a lot whenever a new opportunity opened-up especially in the hope of attracting new supporters.

Look even at the venues of Scottish League clubs outwith Hearts and Hibs. How often different versions of Powderhall, Logie Green and Meadowbank appear and how many different clubs used the same grounds. Some quality names too like 'Marine Gardens' and 'the Royal Gymnasium':

(Leith Athletic and Edinburgh City sharing Marine Gardens, Portobello in 1934-35 was the only notable groundsharing instance in SFL until recent decades).

St Bernards
- Stockbridge Park - 1878-79 to 1879-89
- Royal Gymnasium - 1880-80 to 1888-89
- Old Powderhall - 1889-90
- New Powderhall - 1889-90
- New Logie Green - 1889-90 to 1900-01
- New Powderhall - 1901-02
- Royal Gymnasium - 1902-03 to 1916-17
- Old Logie Green - 1919-20 to 1923-24
- Royal Gymnasium - 1924-25 to 1941-42

(original) Leith Athletic / Leith / Leith Athletic
- Hawkhill Rec ... 1887-88 to 1889-90
- Bank Park ... 1890-91 to 1893-94
- Hawkhill Rec ... 1894-95
- Beechwood ... 1895-96 to 1898-99
- Hawkhill Rec ... 1899-00
- Chancelot Park ... 1900-01 to 1903-04
- Old Logie Green ... 1904-05 to 1915-16
- Chancelot Park ... 1919-20 to 1922-23
- Wardie Park ... 1923-24
- New Logie Green ... 1924-25 to 1925-26
- New Powderhall ... 1926-27 to 1927-28
- Marine Gardens ... 1928-29 to 1935-36
- Meadowbank Park ... 1936-37 to 1940-41
- Old Meadowbank ... 1946-47
- New Meadowbank ... 1947-48 to 1954-55

(original) Edinburgh City
- Marine Gardens ... 1928-29 to 1930-31
- New Powderhall ... 1931-32 to 1933-34
- Marine Gardens ... 1934-35
- City (Pilton) Park ... 1935-36 to 1954-55

Ferranti Thistle / Meadowbank Thistle
- Crewe Toll Field ... 1943-44 to 1968-69
- City (Pilton) Park ... 1969-70 to 1973-74
- Meadowbank Stadum ... 1974-75 to 1994-95

(current) Edinburgh City
- Saughton Enclosure
- Paties Road
- City (Pilton) Park

- Fernieside Rec
- Meadowbank Stadium - 1995-96 to present

Edited by HibeeJibee

Auchinleck Talbot - Its a nice wee ground Beechwood Park for the West Juniors that wasn't far off being as good as one of the best of the Highland League grounds up north but without the floodlights. No floodlights yet still? Took these photos at Talbot's 7-0 demolition of Fort William in the Scottish Cup 26/09/09 in front of a full house for the home club's debut. I like the paintings on the walls both inside and outside the ground. The quirk factor has to be the locals, seem nice enough but can't understand a word they say. This also appears to surface on threads involving Talbot as well

This place still serves mushy peas and chips?

Auchinleck Talbot  01 Football travels July 09  to Dec  09 052.jpg

Auchinleck Talbot  02 Football travels July 09  to Dec  09 053.jpg

Auchinleck Talbot 03 Football travels July 09  to Dec  09 054.jpg

Auchinleck Talbot 04 Football travels July 09  to Dec  09 055.jpg

I may be wrong, but was it not Auchinleck who had a problem building the stand? They bought it from somewhere then painted over the components, in turn by doing this they covered all the serial numbers. So while they had the plans they had no idea where anything went.

35 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Chris Waddle played (and lost) there.

Any other World Cup semi finalists grace the Bayview turf?

28 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

Yes. Gordon Banks and Bobby Charlton...

Apologies Ronaldo but that is the best shooting down in flames I've seen on here for ages. Bravo Angus. :cheers