Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

Watched two different games at two different grounds once in one wet winters afternoon. New Elgin v Inverness City kicked off at 1.30 so when that game finished I walked over to and managed to sneak in through an open gate at Borough Briggs to watch Elgin City v East Stirlingshire getting in just before half time. Wearing my black and white bar scarf I wear for IC I blended in nicely.

That was terrible of me not paying though. It was a good day.[emoji4]

Used to get in at half time for free at Telford Street Park (Caledonian FC) back in the 80's and early 90's when unable to make the start of the game. This also might have happened for the first season ICT were in the Scottish Leagues and playing there. Did other clubs that far up allow people in for free at half time or was this more particular of non league football? Maybe they still do.

Kilmarnock let people in for free right at half time up until the stadium was rebuilt in 1994. So at least a couple of years while in the top flight.

2 hours ago, CityDave said:

Watched two different games at two different grounds once in one wet winters afternoon. New Elgin v Inverness City kicked off at 1.30 so when that game finished I walked over to and managed to sneak in through an open gate at Borough Briggs to watch Elgin City v East Stirlingshire getting in just before half time. Wearing my black and white bar scarf I wear for IC I blended in nicely.

That was terrible of me not paying though. It was a good day.:)

Used to get in at half time for free at Telford Street Park (Caledonian FC) back in the 80's and early 90's when unable to make the start of the game. This also might have happened for the first season ICT were in the Scottish Leagues and playing there. Did other clubs that far up allow people in for free at half time or was this more particular of non league football? Maybe they still do.

You used to get in for free at half time at Links Park. There's been a couple of times in the past when I've stayed in the pub for an extra pint or two then wandered down for the second half. I'm not sure if it's still allowed though.

Before the ground was rebuilt in the early '90s it was actually quite easy to get into Links Park for free. You could go through somebody's garden and climb over the fence. There was a blind spot behind the enclosure where the cops/stewards couldn't see you. Many local kids went in this way. As a wee Ned I also jibbed my way into Firs Park like this a couple of times.

Are there any other grounds with easy free access?

Edited by tongue_tied_danny

That was terrible of me not paying though. It was a good day.[emoji4]

QOS used to do this, was meant to be for all the Amateur players after their 2pm kick offs had finished. Dont know about now...

22 hours ago, Marr1 said:

talking about Mountains and Football grounds surely Sauchie Juniors is a shout.

It's on the homepage for NLS FFS.

Why the FFS, show us some pics ffs.

Been to Sauchie Juniors a few years ago, ground right next to the Golf Club. Game was called off an hour before kick off so sadly so no photos of mine for that. Nice tidy ground with a nice looking seated stand, plus covered enclosures at three sides. Not 100% I heard something about them, but did these belong to another football club previously? 

Image result for sauchie Juniors

11 minutes ago, CityDave said:

Been to Sauchie Juniors a few years ago, ground right next to the Golf Club. Game was called off an hour before kick off so sadly so no photos of mine for that. Nice tidy ground with a nice looking seated stand, plus covered enclosures at three sides. Not 100% I heard something about them, but did these belong to another football club previously? 

I played at the golf club once on a works day out. I noticed the signage on the way in.

I think Thistle got the Hansen brothers from Sauchie and possibly one or two others.

A good result for Ayr Utd on Saturday. Thought I'd put up some photos of Somerset Park, this one against Ross County. What can you say about this place, its like a trip back 30 years, up to you whether you think that's a good thing or a bad thing. I like the place.

Ayr 002 Football travels March 08 to May 08 057.jpg

Ayr 003 Football travels March 08 to May 08 056.jpg

Ayr 005 Football travels March 08 to May 08 059.jpg

Ayr 007 Football travels March 08 to May 08 060.jpg

Ayr 010 Football travels March 08 to May 08 063.jpg

Beechwood%20Park%20%28Sauchie%20Juniors%291.jpg

Beechwood%20Park%20%28Sauchie%20Juniors%293.jpg

Panor1.jpg

DSCF0539.JPG

Sauchie a really good junior stand. Excellent facilities in stand. Sure Alan Hansen played for Sauchie?

Galabank, home of Annan Athletic. This is a nice wee ground and I can't say any negatives about it. Quirks?, maybe only three sides of the ground gets used and it has a house inside the ground parameter which used by the club. Imagine having a football pitch for the local football team in your back garden?. :)

The photos I have here are from a thundery 25th April 2009 with Berwick Rangers the visitors. Annan since then have a new covered enclosure at the house end.

Annan Athletic v Berwick Rangers 25th April 09.jpg

Annan football travels Nov 08 to Apr 09 021.jpg

Annan football travels Nov 08 to Apr 09 022.jpg

Annan football travels Nov 08 to Apr 09 078.jpg

Annan Galabank, Annan.jpg

Annan Rumble ! Rumble!.jpg

Image result for annan athletic

Edited by CityDave