Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

Cheers.  I hadn't remembered the stand having such a deep enclosure but as soon as you see the photos it's obvious. Back in the day my old man used to always want to sit in the stand so I've been in there many a time (not the best place for a Pars fan in a derby game!) but didn't appreciate the huge height difference between now and then.

8 hours ago, CALDERON said:

When the stadium got re-developed in the 90s, they raised the pitch.  So the game is pretty unwatchable from much of the enclosure area on the main stand side.

Those areas were open and used right up until 1996 when the stadium got redeveloped.

Grainy image, but this was from one of our UEFA cup ties in 1995, when you could watch the game from the half way line (Halcyon days)

Image result for starks park 1995

Used to like standing there back in the day it was quite entertaining at the dug outs when Frank Connor was manager:lol:

10 hours ago, CALDERON said:

When the stadium got re-developed in the 90s, they raised the pitch.  So the game is pretty unwatchable from much of the enclosure area on the main stand side.

Never seems to bother Celtic.

Main Stand at Pittodrie was like Raith's but the corner was lost when one end of it burnt down... I've seen photos in books but can only find this online:

pittodriepast3.jpg

Celtic Park in its early days with open banked ends, a pavilion, and the outrageously expensive grandstand which as you can see was glazed when it first opened. Seemed like a great idea but of course the problem was that in winter they steamed up so it didn't last long. It mustn't have been very well built either - erected in 1899 it was condemned in 1929, and replaced by the core of the current Main Stand:

20130310-094935.jpg

Dens Park:

img271.jpg

37 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

That stand at Pittodrie looks like the bit in the corner is a separate building? Perhaps like a pavilion than many old grounds had as changing facilities and executive seats? The last one in Scotland was at Broomfield of course and the last in England is at Fulham.

It was definitely part of the stand as can be seen in these photos of the fire - whether it was an integral part of the stand or a previous/subsequent structure incorporated, I don't know.

aberdeen-fire-february-1971.jpg

0,,10284~9453826,00.jpg     0,,10284~9453827,00.jpg

Easter Road from above... Fans watching from the 'shelf' on the East Terrace were almost a pitch width off from the pitch!

There was a similar 'shelf' on the East Terrace at Hampden.

yjuwn.jpg     2198871889_65288d9d9b.jpg

7e9a59863cb6812e454b8475e726de77.jpg

41 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

It was definitely part of the stand as can be seen in these photos of the fire - whether it was an integral part of the stand or a previous/subsequent structure incorporated, I don't know.

aberdeen-fire-february-1971.jpg

0,,10284~9453826,00.jpg     0,,10284~9453827,00.jpg

Easter Road from above... Fans watching from the 'shelf' on the East Terrace were almost a pitch width off from the pitch!

There was a similar 'shelf' on the East Terrace at Hampden.

yjuwn.jpg     2198871889_65288d9d9b.jpg

7e9a59863cb6812e454b8475e726de77.jpg

The small wing stand at Pittodrie was separate from the Main Stand and regrettably the only stand that I never watched a match from at Pittodrie. The wing stand was not damaged in the 1971 fire, or if it was it was only minor damage. It continued to be used until it was demolished to make way for the Richard Donald Stand 1991/92. If I had the use of a time machine, I would take my place in the wing stand just the once!

Some more Archibald Leitch & Company ground plans. Not all were fully carried out. These and many others feature in the excellent book "Engineering Archie", which I heartily recommend.

Image won't embed: West Ham Stadium, London - http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/an-aerial-view-of-west-ham-football-stadium-built-by-news-photo/52373774

villapark1.jpg

dundee-dens-park-drawing-archibald-leitc     v0_medium.jpg

craven-cottage-grand-stand-1904-hi.jpg

anfield1906.JPG

3680209344_5fe55df77f.jpg

Newcastle-United-SJP1-NUFC.jpg

CA2064amod.jpg

WHL%20Sketch%20Archibald%20Leitch.jpg

Edited by HibeeJibee

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Some more Archibald Leitch & Company ground plans. Not all were fully carried out. These and many others feature in the excellent book "Engineering Archie", which I heartily recommend.

Image won't embed: West Ham Stadium, London - http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/an-aerial-view-of-west-ham-football-stadium-built-by-news-photo/52373774

2 hours ago, Zen Archer said:

Wow, West Ham had to wait nearly 90 years for a stadium with a track:lol:

It's worth saying that the West Ham Stadium was actually built, holding between 100,000 and 120,000 and therefore of similar size to Wembley and White City - but had nothing to do with West Ham United FC. It was mainly used for greyhounds and speedway. Football made a brief appearance in the shape of Thames AFC who spent 2 seasons in EFL, averaging 2,315 + 2,623.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Ham_Stadium

http://www.freewebs.com/customhousekid/thestadium.htm

The%20Staduim.jpg

west-ham-stadium-1928-400.png

Edited by HibeeJibee

The small wing stand at Pittodrie was separate from the Main Stand and regrettably the only stand that I never watched a match from at Pittodrie. The wing stand was not damaged in the 1971 fire, or if it was it was only minor damage. It continued to be used until it was demolished to make way for the Richard Donald Stand 1991/92. If I had the use of a time machine, I would take my place in the wing stand just the once!

I'm fortunate to have watched a few games from the Wing Stand in the 80s. The view was pretty good as I recall. At that time the away fans were in the Beach End - I have a distinct memory of peering down over the wall at United fans, seemed like a long drop to a kid but it probably wasn't.

Another time I was in the Wing Stand, God scored a rare goal against Falkirk while I was away for a pish.

F**k Westhill BTW.

Another recommendation for "Engineering Archie", and also for the seminal "Football Grounds of Great Britain" also by Simon Inglis which I used to have at home but sold on ebay after seeing how much I could get for my old dog-eared copy. Some of the detail in that is incredible and there really should be a new edition for all stadium geeks like me. His European Football Grounds book is also fascinating as it was written in an era before a lot of the stadia we know we're redeveloped - Shalke's old ground looked like a Leich design on Steroids. 

While looking for a photo of the new vista of the Tynecastle main stand that is briefly visible  in the interim between demolishing the other buildings that obscured it and demolishing the stand itself I found this and thought some of you might like it.

111553-c00d528d1fa5404db2eaf7c443eb5302.

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

6 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

While looking for a photo of the new vista of the Tynecastle main stand that is briefly visible  in the interim between demolishing the other buildings that obscured it and demolishing the stand itself I found this and thought some of you might like it.

111553-c00d528d1fa5404db2eaf7c443eb5302.

On a serious note, here's Hearts proposal for relocating to Sighthill back in the 1930/40's:

sighthill.jpg

5 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Another recommendation for "Engineering Archie", and also for the seminal "Football Grounds of Great Britain" also by Simon Inglis which I used to have at home but sold on ebay after seeing how much I could get for my old dog-eared copy. Some of the detail in that is incredible and there really should be a new edition for all stadium geeks like me. His European Football Grounds book is also fascinating as it was written in an era before a lot of the stadia we know we're redeveloped - Shalke's old ground looked like a Leich design on Steroids. 

I've got 2 editions of FGoGB, the 1987 one with a predominantly white cover, and the 1996 one (mainly green). Even in that short span the grounds have changed a lot. Both of them appear to be on eBay for just a couple of quid.

A real cracker of a coffee table book is Football Grounds From The Air (2006) by Ian Hay. It was priced at £20 but I'm sure I got it at one of those bargain books places for £6. A few guys at work went and got it too, including legendary groundhopper on here, Rab B Nesbit :lol: