Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

8 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

I'm fairly sure there was cheetah racing 1 or 2 places - Ochilview and/or Firs Park, Falkirk rings a bell - in the 1930s.

EDIT: Apologies, wrong bit of Stirlingshire. It was in actual fact Forthbank, Stirling.

Forthbank? Opened in 1993

On 28/12/2016 at 11:37, CityDave said:

I don't know who the photographer is (this came of the Ness FC twitter account).

Here's another of the Ness FC changing rooms/ social club

Image result for ness fc

Ness FC is a truly beautiful ground in a true beautiful place. It always amazes me that the pitch is always covered in daisies when I visit up there. I visit the village of Cross, a mile away, 3 times a year to take my Daughter to see her Grandparents there. My late Girlfriend is buried in the Clach Nis (Ness Cemetery) just behind the football ground overlooking Eorpaidh Beach so being up there is always pretty special. Here's a few pictures I took with the drone last time I was up. They were used in a calendar promoting the area.

IMG_2034.JPG

IMG_2035.JPG

IMG_2036.JPG

IMG_2037.JPG

IMG_2038.JPG

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

I'm fairly sure there was cheetah racing 1 or 2 places - Ochilview and/or Firs Park, Falkirk rings a bell - in the 1930s.

EDIT: Apologies, wrong bit of Stirlingshire. It was in actual fact Forthbank, Stirling.

not forthbank but the old ground at annfield you mean ?

King's Park were the football club in Stirling until WWII, when the ground which was called Forthbank Park was wrecked in an air raid. They folded at the end of the war, and the town got a new club in the shape of Stirling Albion who were admitted straight into SFL. They built a new stadium called Annfield. In 1993 Albion moved to a new stadium called Forthbank.

7 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

That's right. Various football grounds in Scotland hosted greyhound racing - and briefly cheetah racing! - between the wars and again in the 1990s. I remember it being discussed in a previous thread like this and have a list somewhere.

I'm right in saying Firhill was only ever curved at one end, though?

firhillpast1.jpg

If you look at the right hand side of the ground you can see the curve . This terracing was extended down to the goal in about 1962.

Brilliant thread - thoroughly enjoyed reading through.

A few mentions of Brockville which has its fair share of quirks including enclosure running the length of the main stand, and a railway line if you're into that kind of thing.

My favourite quirk was the TV gantry which was located within touching distance of the fans on the terracing opposite the Main Stand next to the cage. I remember us being the featured game on Scotsport (or Football First?) and loud chants of "Andy Walker, you're a w****r' being audible throughout. Memory might be playing up but I'm sure it was so close that you could bang the bottom of it too?

Not my picture but you can make out the gantry from this picture taken from the old away end.

Also a picture of inside the Main Stand and a bit of a quirk from the new stadium I suppose - the old Brockville gate which is still used and a bank of the old turnstiles which sit in the corner of the new ground between the South Stand and the empty space.

IMG_4485.JPG

IMG_4486.JPG

IMG_4487.JPG

IMG_4488.JPG

14 hours ago, Highlandmagyar said:

If you look at the right hand side of the ground you can see the curve . This terracing was extended down to the goal in about 1962.

I think he meant covered. Amirite  @HibeeJibee?

Edited by jagfox99

Just now, HibeeJibee said:

No, I was meaning curved. Highlandmagyar seems to have answered it. You can see it more obviously here:

firhill-5.jpg     firhillpast2.jpg

Yup was curved until the JHS came along.

7 hours ago, Hughsie said:

IMG_4486.JPG

Im old enough to remember Brockvile, it certainly made up in character and atmosphere what it lacked in facilities and comfort.

Those toilets under the old stand remind me of the torture rooms in Hostel where the unfortunates had angle grinders taken to their genitalia.

Edited by Flybhoy