Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

43 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

I didnt even know that terrace where the wanky student flats now are had a cover on it at one point. 

I first went to Firhill early 90's, when did the roof come off?

Every time Thistle scored.

These curved rooves must've been a Glasgow thing. Only grounds I've seen them are the bigots and now this one.

1 hour ago, jagfox99 said:

Firhill for chills...

0A0AF238-1527-491C-B849-378EF92AD8A6.jpeg.3782921aaa4609476349ab5598f03272.jpeg

It was the same as Shawfield, the roof was originally there for the benefit of the greyhound crowd to save the bookies cash getting wet. Only covered about 20% of the punters when it was new. Once the greyhound racing stopped it was left to rot. The roof was full of holes.

9 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

I didnt even know that terrace where the wanky student flats now are had a cover on it at one point. 

I first went to Firhill early 90's, when did the roof come off?

9 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Was damaged in the storm of 68.

It was still there in Sep 71 the first time I went, Thistle 3 Rangers 2. Looked in need of a bit of TLC though. I’m sure it was gone by 73.

49 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

It was still there in Sep 71 the first time I went, Thistle 3 Rangers 2. Looked in need of a bit of TLC though. I’m sure it was gone by 73.

I think you might be wrong.

Here's Celtic v St Johnstone Dryburgh cup sf a month earlier.

cd72965ee3ca6993e14430a551034a73.jpg

11 hours ago, Glenconner said:

^^^^^

Was never in Hampden or Shawfield.

Shawfield's cover was continuous and not just a bit behind the goal. Hampden's fully covered the terrace behind the goal unless there's an earlier, partial one.

5 hours ago, thisal said:

I think you might be wrong.

Here's Celtic v St Johnstone Dryburgh cup sf a month earlier.

cd72965ee3ca6993e14430a551034a73.jpg

Hmm that’s interesting  :lol:

This raises more questions than answers for me. As a Jags fan you probably know the locality better than I do, so are we definitely looking at the right end? The aerial shot is inconclusive when you try and match up the buildings behind the goals.

Or is it even a league game at Muirton? It’s absolutely rammed which raises doubts as the Cup was never that popular, e.g. the final v Aberdeen only attracted 25000. Just a thought.

As a young boy you tend to remember your early experiences and that was my first visit to Firhill for sure. I checked the last time they played Rangers and it was 2 years earlier, with a relegation in between, and I hadn’t started going then. In my mind’s eye I know I never invented the cover behind the goal.

However I did learn a few things about the Drybrough Cup when I looked it up. Stein’s Celtic never won it till the 4th year, 1974, although granted they were half-hearted about the competition. Also I didn’t remember the semis being on a neutral ground but they were in 1971 as you say. Celtic’s penalty win over Rangers in 1974 after a 2-2 draw was an absolute classic. 

3 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Hmm that’s interesting  :lol:

This raises more questions than answers for me. As a Jags fan you probably know the locality better than I do, so are we definitely looking at the right end? The aerial shot is inconclusive when you try and match up the buildings behind the goals.

Or is it even a league game at Muirton? It’s absolutely rammed which raises doubts as the Cup was never that popular, e.g. the final v Aberdeen only attracted 25000. Just a thought.

As a young boy you tend to remember your early experiences and that was my first visit to Firhill for sure. I checked the last time they played Rangers and it was 2 years earlier, with a relegation in between, and I hadn’t started going then. In my mind’s eye I know I never invented the cover behind the goal.

However I did learn a few things about the Drybrough Cup when I looked it up. Stein’s Celtic never won it till the 4th year, 1974, although granted they were half-hearted about the competition. Also I didn’t remember the semis being on a neutral ground but they were in 1971 as you say. Celtic’s penalty win over Rangers in 1974 after a 2-2 draw was an absolute classic. 

Definitely Firhill, definitely north end Ruchill park and the Panmure Street tenements in the background. I searched google for Firhill 1971 and this is the only image showing the North terrace. it confused me at first  but further searching found this from Celticwiki

Semi-Final  4 August 1971 Celtic 4 - 2 St Johnstone [hide]Glasgow
19:30 BST       Stadium: Firhill Park
Attendance: 30,000

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1971–72_Celtic_F.C._season

8 hours ago, The Mantis said:

1971-2 team photo, one of my favourites. Hugh Strachan looks like he's just had a few Firhill pies. :lol:

season-19711972-the-the-partick-thistle-

Edited by Bishop Briggs

2 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

1971-2 team photo, one of my favourites. Hugh Strachan looks like he's just had a few Firhill pies. :lol:

season-19711972-the-the-partick-thistle-

Nice of them to include the local butcher in the photo as well