Clyde vs Arbroath

I feel that the whole grass/artificial argument is going to be a bit of a generational thing.

I don't think there is any particularly rigorous scientific studies done on these surfaces but I'd hazard a guess that some injuries on the artificial surface are due to inexperience of playing on it. Although the best surfaces resemble grass, they're not identical so players have to make slight tweaks on how they move around the pitch. Also, you still see players playing with bladed studs on these pitches, which is just asking for trouble.

Given the rate these pitches are popping up, in 20 years, we're going to have a generation of players who have grown up playing on these surfaces and I'm sure when that happens, injuries will be far less prevalent.

I'd take a plastic pitch at Gayfield tomorrow.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

You try googling research and you'll find out soon enough. Why aren't the world's best players allowed to play on plastic?

Oh there is such a thing as a " classic plastic pitch twisting " injury! Well I never.

Not that Forfar have a plastic bag pitch eh?

Forfar have played 7 consecutive games on 3g and also train 2 nights on 3g. Injuries ----------- none. Points ------ 15.  Arguments against 3g ----- None. The only teams that complain are teams with old fashioned grass.  

16 minutes ago, terracingtam said:

Forfar have played 7 consecutive games on 3g and also train 2 nights on 3g. Injuries ----------- none. Points ------ 15.  Arguments against 3g ----- None. The only teams that complain are teams with old fashioned grass.  

Or teams who cannot get access to funds via common good money and the local lassies fitba teams to pay for 3G pitches:(

4 hours ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

You try googling research and you'll find out soon enough. Why aren't the world's best players allowed to play on plastic?

Oh there is such a thing as a " classic plastic pitch twisting " injury! Well I never.

There have been World cup qualifiers and Champions League games played on artificial surfaces. Top level international and club rugby matches, MLB and NFL games. What are you actually on about :lol:

I just googled it there and the top four links conclude that playing on artificial pitches does not increase the number of injuries.

Just for clarity it was a foul on Easton that caused the injury not the pitch

The foul looked pretty innocuous, although a replay would help clear that up. I wonder if his foot was planted when the player fouled him, which may have caused the twist of the knee. Anyway, don't think the surface was to blame particularly.

Easton's reaction was worrying, writhing in pain and clearly in distress. That alone made me fear it is a bad one.

Brutal result for us. Ricky Gomes absolutely needs to start next week, Mutch has been an absolute bombscare recently. If we had a semi-decent keeper we'd have left Broadwood with at least a point yesterday. Never been a fan of Little at RB, IMO it's bemusing to play one of the leagues best centre halves out of position. Not as bemusing as the decision to play Sukar (a CB) at LB and Hamilton (an LB) at CB in the second half :lol: Jimmy Scott was pretty brutal, not sure what David Gold did to deserve being dropped. Whatley played the same way as he has done for the last year or so, doing absolutely nothing of note in midfield. An injury that keeps him out for a while may benefit him in the long run, because it's just not coming off for him just now. No idea how Kader lasted 90 minutes yesterday. The amount of times he beat a man, opening up space for a cross, then instead went back and tried to beat his man again was infuriating. Linn was very decent in the first half, but moving Sukar to LB really hampered him in the second half. Skelly drifted in and out of the game and scored a good goal, probably would've kept him on rather than subbing him. Doris again grafted like f**k and was a few inches away from a spectacular goal. Boy just needs a bit of luck and I'm sure he'll be up and running. Taking him off left us without a real target up front and seemed a pretty strange decision considering our tactics seemed to be getting Brown to punt it long all the time. Brown himself had an okay game, but I really think Little should be starting there. Bringing Prunty on was strange, I don't really see what he adds to the team. Oh well, on to next week. We need to go on a decent run now considering how far Forfar are ahead of us.

Just for clarity it was a foul on Easton that caused the injury not the pitch

Also, for clarity, it was a shocking tackle on grass that injured McGovern.
Injuries happen anywhere, on any surface for many reasons. Clyde are just having a bad run.
The way Easton plays, he is always liable to be caught late by slower thinking defenders.

Next day and a little time think about the game yesterday, this is a terrific result and despite the defensive frailties we obviously have its not every week we come up against quality like Linn. He will cause huge problems at this level, we unfortunately don't have Kafu so we do what we can. 

A 3-2 victory I will take any day against an Arbroath, we would not be getting these results in the past. The Easton injury is an enormous blow but it's football and it happens, that won't make him feel any better but I'm afraid we just have to get on with it now. Ironically it my make Flyn step up a bit, funnily enough it is clear at times that is frustrated that Easton does not release the ball when he makes the runs he does beyond the rest of the midfield which he does really well. 

We will lose goals as I say it's Lower league football and that is the standard of player we are having to play unless we strike it lucky and get a young quality defender coming through which does not seem to be anytime soon.

3 hours ago, Best Team in Angus said:
3 hours ago, Best Team in Angus said:

Or teams who cannot get access to funds via common good money and the local lassies fitba teams to pay for 3G pitches:(

You got a Stand and we got a pitch. Score draw.

2 hours ago, Lichtie78 said:

Brutal result for us. Ricky Gomes absolutely needs to start next week, Mutch has been an absolute bombscare recently. If we had a semi-decent keeper we'd have left Broadwood with at least a point yesterday. Never been a fan of Little at RB, IMO it's bemusing to play one of the leagues best centre halves out of position. Not as bemusing as the decision to play Sukar (a CB) at LB and Hamilton (an LB) at CB in the second half :lol: Jimmy Scott was pretty brutal, not sure what David Gold did to deserve being dropped. Whatley played the same way as he has done for the last year or so, doing absolutely nothing of note in midfield. An injury that keeps him out for a while may benefit him in the long run, because it's just not coming off for him just now. No idea how Kader lasted 90 minutes yesterday. The amount of times he beat a man, opening up space for a cross, then instead went back and tried to beat his man again was infuriating. Linn was very decent in the first half, but moving Sukar to LB really hampered him in the second half. Skelly drifted in and out of the game and scored a good goal, probably would've kept him on rather than subbing him. Doris again grafted like f**k and was a few inches away from a spectacular goal. Boy just needs a bit of luck and I'm sure he'll be up and running. Taking him off left us without a real target up front and seemed a pretty strange decision considering our tactics seemed to be getting Brown to punt it long all the time. Brown himself had an okay game, but I really think Little should be starting there. Bringing Prunty on was strange, I don't really see what he adds to the team. Oh well, on to next week. We need to go on a decent run now considering how far Forfar are ahead of us.

I have to agree on the keeper. Gomes is much more vocal and involved. He has to get the gloves for a while. 

Jimmy Scott wasn't his usual, but just back from injury to be fair. I would have hooked Kader early, maybe giving Calaghan a run. Gold looked good and should start if Whatley is out.

Not too worried about Forfar getting ahead. Early days, and I think we have the best squad. Clyde now have serious injury problems which will surely hamper them.

1 hour ago, FREDDYFRY said:

Next day and a little time think about the game yesterday, this is a terrific result and despite the defensive frailties we obviously have its not every week we come up against quality like Linn. He will cause huge problems at this level, we unfortunately don't have Kafu so we do what we can. 

A 3-2 victory I will take any day against an Arbroath, we would not be getting these results in the past. The Easton injury is an enormous blow but it's football and it happens, that won't make him feel any better but I'm afraid we just have to get on with it now. Ironically it my make Flyn step up a bit, funnily enough it is clear at times that is frustrated that Easton does not release the ball when he makes the runs he does beyond the rest of the midfield which he does really well. 

We will lose goals as I say it's Lower league football and that is the standard of player we are having to play unless we strike it lucky and get a young quality defender coming through which does not seem to be anytime soon.

Three home wins out of three as well. Exactly what we were missing last year when our away form was generally good. Scored some terrific goals also. Can't see why people are being negative.

I have to agree on the keeper. Gomes is much more vocal and involved. He has to get the gloves for a while. 

Jimmy Scott wasn't his usual, but just back from injury to be fair. I would have hooked Kader early, maybe giving Calaghan a run. Gold looked good and should start if Whatley is out.

Not too worried about Forfar getting ahead. Early days, and I think we have the best squad. Clyde now have serious injury problems which will surely hamper them.

If Gomes doesn't start next week after Mutch's horror show yesterday you have to wonder if he ever will. Agree about putting Callaghan on, from what I've seen he has a much better final ball than Kader. Gary Phillips could've been a shout to come too. Agree about Scott only just coming back from injury, Gold should've started anyway on the back of his recent performances.

Archived