Partick v St Johnstone 10th September 2016

We weren't great but I rarely felt troubled by Partick's attacking options. Azeez caused us a few problems, so I was surprised and relieved to see him getting substituted at half-time.

A solid performance though. When you see the quality options we had on the bench (as well as the players who are currently injured), there are plenty of reasons to feel positive. Aside from Celtic, we shouldn't really be fearing anybody.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is it just me or has Lawless been pure shite so far this season?

Osman and Booth seem shadows of last year's versions too.

I'd struggle to give any of our players more than a 5/10 rating yesterday [emoji20]

Convinced that our change to a more narrow tactic has affected Lawless, he's been anonymous this season. We've seen how good a winger he is but if we're trying to play through the centre then he's not much use.

5 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

Is it just me or has Lawless been pure shite so far this season?

Osman and Booth seem shadows of last year's versions too.

I'd struggle to give any of our players more than a 5/10 rating yesterday :(

Might be some merit to Lawless "I only like signing one year deals to keep me motivated" comments since joining us after all. Huh.

Not really got anything further to add to what's already been said about our performance on Saturday.

I thought Azeez was hooked at half-time to remove the option of going long which we took with increasing regularity as the first half wore on. Would that have been any less successful than what transpired in the second half? Probably not. What is for certain is that we are devoid of any options to change the focal point of our attack if Doolan and Azeez both start; I don't think both can start whilst we only have two strikers in the squad.

Expected Welsh to come back in and I didn't think he was anywhere near the worst offender on the pitch. Osman has been a passenger in the games I've seen so far this season and how Lawless continues to start despite being wholly ineffective is a bit of mystery considering the options we have in his position.

To be fair to Booth, despite not having the best of games, he didn't hide and always got on the ball - just wasn't his day. Still very undecided on Devine. I was no great fan of Seaborne but it's pretty damning for Devine that I'd feel a bit better with the former still at the club.

It was inevitable that some would take the first opportunity to get on Ziggy's back given his media activity since joining. Was he Man of the Match? Absolutely not. Did the announcement deserve to be booed? Absolutely not. As I said when his first comments about his ambitions were published, some fans are far too precious to even contemplate the notion that a player might want to play at a higher level/bigger club than Thistle. Such is Ziggy's confidence in himself, I doubt any of the condemnation of his MOTM award will have any effect.

The percentage of stoaters that Scully has conceded must be disproportionately high - great finish from MacLean after the ball was gifted by Edwards who does 90% of things quite well but will then undo all that work by making the utterly wrong decision on a final ball.

Thought St Johnstone were pretty comfortable throughout. The first goal knocked the stuffing right out of us and from there, they never really had to get out of second gear. That said, if Edwards doesn't miss the headed sitter at the back-post, we're level and we would probably have been on the ascendancy. Fine margins and all that. Tommy Wright does a great job of putting a solid team out every season, expect they'll be top 6 again this year.

As for us, next week is shaping up to be a big game already...

Whole team was dreadful. Very disappointing after decent displays against Aberdeen and Hearts. Agree that Osman, Booth and Lawless all still appear to be badly off the pace. MOTM decision was greeted with guffaws of laughter all around where I was sitting in the JH (disappointing if it was booed tho!)

I love Partick fans 

I can't stand playing St Johnstone, they must be the most boring team to play/watch. I feel sorry for their fans that turn up to watch that pish from Tommy Wright every week. 

I have to say that was almost bizarre watching what happened after the first 15 minutes and the goal. Went from quite positive from us to, almost like we were entranced by the sheer monotony of the football they play and were unable to get out of it. 
Don't think we should be panicking and seems a bit premature to think this is a disaster. St Johnstone play this kind of pish week in, week out and are masters of doing this to teams, we fell for it, maybe that is partly Archies fault and partly the players. I'm expecting next week a better game of football, but not necessarily another win yet. 

I love Partick fans 

I can't stand playing St Johnstone, they must be the most boring team to play/watch. I feel sorry for their fans that turn up to watch that pish from Tommy Wright every week. 

I have to say that was almost bizarre watching what happened after the first 15 minutes and the goal. Went from quite positive from us to, almost like we were entranced by the sheer monotony of the football they play and were unable to get out of it. 
Don't think we should be panicking and seems a bit premature to think this is a disaster. St Johnstone play this kind of pish week in, week out and are masters of doing this to teams, we fell for it, maybe that is partly Archies fault and partly the players. I'm expecting next week a better game of football, but not necessarily another win yet. 

Biggest load of pish I've ever read.

The worst thing is with posts like that, we can't even take some sort of moral footballing high ground by claiming to be a free-flowing, attacking side these days anyway. We were when we first came up, and teams took us apart, so we've adapted and now we're no less "boring" than anyone else in the league. Erskine is a nice flair player to have, but him being back doesn't take away from the fact that right now we're as unimaginative in our style of football as anyone. Imo.

I'd love us to be boring as f**k and finish in the European places a few years in a row instead of play nice football and finish 10th. I'm not saying St Johnstone are boring as f**k, btw, but the way people act as if it's a negative thing do my head in.

We seem to have picked up this reputation from the season after our cup win, 2 years ago now, when we didn't have much in the way of strikers for a long period.  We were very low scoring and unentertaining mostly, but were well organised and had an excellent defence, and shitfested our way to 4th.

I think now we play good football when we can, mix it up when we have to, and hoof it long at times as well when there's not much else on.  Pretty much the mix of what you need if you're going to do okay as a lower budget side in this division.

We're also capable of just shite performances, such as up at Inverness a fortnight ago, but I don't think we stand out as any more or less guilty of a primitive football style than anyone else last season or so far this one...

Archived