Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

I used to believe that the EU would fudge the issue and there would be some kind of compromise but the longer this goes on, the less likely I think that is. The EU cannot compromise with the UK because other countries might get ideas about getting special deals and the whole grand plan falls on it's arse. That cannot be allowed to happen no matter what.

Therefore there are only 2 options left. Remain in the EU or leave with no deal. No deal will ever be acceptable to the EU it seems so I guess we have to make a 'clean break' and deal with whatever shitstorm that produces. Or have another referendum and possibly stay. (I'm assuming that the next referendum would be to remain)

A lot of assumptions n my part obviously.

20 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

I used to believe that the EU would fudge the issue and there would be some kind of compromise but the longer this goes on, the less likely I think that is. The EU cannot compromise with the UK because other countries might get ideas about getting special deals and the whole grand plan falls on it's arse. That cannot be allowed to happen no matter what.

Therefore there are only 2 options left. Remain in the EU or leave with no deal. No deal will ever be acceptable to the EU it seems so I guess we have to make a 'clean break' and deal with whatever shitstorm that produces. Or have another referendum and possibly stay. (I'm assuming that the next referendum would be to remain)

You're perfectly correct. The bit in bold has been repeatedly explained since well before the referendum.

But 'German Cars'.

I wasn't always extremely skeptical of the UK getting a "good deal" purely because there is nothing better than frictionless trade, which we currently have.

Also, we were one of the fastest growing countries prior the 2016 vote. The majority of this was down to the agreements we had either in the EU or through the EU.

I'm not an economic expert, although I do teach International Marketing and I'm certain that a no deal scenario would be catastrophic.

39 minutes ago, zidane's child said:

I'm not an economic expert, although I do teach International Marketing and I'm certain that a no deal scenario would be catastrophic.

I'm sure if you had the resources to hold a shit load of foreign currency when it happens it would be anything but. Not that I think anyone actively driving us off the cliff could possibly be involved in any of that...

On ‎27‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 11:45, Antlion said:

But bizarre that a nationalist like yourself would decry the EU whilst saying being incorporated into a far more controlling is just great.

Also, I’m intrigued by the artistic choice of “!!!....”. Was it deliberate, or a by-product of your “outsider art”?

Sorry I'm late

@King Kebab homage imo!!!

The whole debacle has produced some unlikely ‘allies’.  First their was the HoL trying to force some Parliamentary democracy.  Now we may be reliant on big business applying pressure.  There’s signs that it’s already happening but not concerted or vocal enough.

Hammond is s saying that he will update the Cabinet of the costs of various scenarios at their weekend retreat.  I trust these figures will be made public, either officially or by leak, and will confirm that even the best exit option is going to be costly.

34 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The whole debacle has produced some unlikely ‘allies’.  First their was the HoL trying to force some Parliamentary democracy.  Now we may be reliant on big business applying pressure.  There’s signs that it’s already happening but not concerted or vocal enough.

Hammond is s saying that he will update the Cabinet of the costs of various scenarios at their weekend retreat.  I trust these figures will be made public, either officially or by leak, and will confirm that even the best exit option is going to be costly.

Weekend retreat you say?

thick_of_it_4-3.jpg.b456dde8ef92428569960ba3a0dbbb1d.jpg

15 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

In three very short paragraphs you clearly understand the simplicity of the principles of the EU far more than any Tory government minister.  A trade deal is possible but not without compromises.

Any form of Customs union will require free movement of labour, the EU cannot budge an inch on that or the EU project is over.

The UK cannot allow for free movement as part of a Customs deal otherwise there will be violence on the streets in the pro-leave regions of England.

Therefore the result= No deal and the biggest act of National self-harm a first world country has inflicted on itself for centuries. 

The only thing that would be more stupid is Scotland voting No again in indyref2 and shackling itself to this farce forever! 

As someone who doesn't understand the fine detail of NI politics, can anyone help?  If the DUP end up supporting a position that results in a hard border, is there any other political party that some of the DUP vote will go to in the event of a GE?  I can't see it going to Sinn Fein but maybe one of the more moderate alternatives.

As someone who doesn't understand the fine detail of NI politics, can anyone help?  If the DUP end up supporting a position that results in a hard border, is there any other political party that some of the DUP vote will go to in the event of a GE?  I can't see it going to Sinn Fein but maybe one of the more moderate alternatives.

Ulster Unionists are perceived to be slightly more progressive. The way it was explained to me is UUP are still a christian conservative party but the DUP are a christian conservative party somewhere to the right of Ghengis Khan.

29 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I think the Ulster Unionists are still about but no idea what sort of shape they’re in these days. 

32 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Is a hard border less popular than an internal UK border amongst Unionists?

Both surely violate the GFA.

UUP, however some soft unionists who feel betrayed by UK(re peace process) may move over to SDLP ( Nationalist party, but not republican)

The Alliance Party should step up to the plate with a major anti border and pro single market campaign. They've been out of the news recently but their vote share isn't far behind the SDLP and UUP.

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

Is a hard border less popular than an internal UK border amongst Unionists?

Both surely violate the GFA.

According to a poll reported on SKY there is a divergence between the voters and their representatives.  

I reckon this could increase once the bullshit of options is exposed; it will either be a customs union or a hard border.