Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

23 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I agree.  Whilst I still think that @welshbairn’s wrong about Johnson agreeing to an extension it’s absolutely what the EU should do at the last minute; in fact they should offer a full year extension.

The narrative from the EU side could be “No one could have anticipated the pandemic, much of the U.K. infrastructure and procedures are not yet in place.  Let’s put this on hold for a year to help the U.K. sort these things out and there’s no need for chaos come January 1”.

Johnson will, of course, reject this and then when it all goes tits up he will find it far more difficult to blame the EU27.

That certainly strikes me as the perfect solution - for now.

Do you really believe Johnson would reject that? Is he really that stupid?

8 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Probably and yes. There's also the factor that he'd probably get kicked out of Downing St if he agreed to an extension, being as Cummings got him to kick out all the One Nation type MPs and the ERG rule the parliamentary party.

Edited by welshbairn

20 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

5 minutes ago, Andre Drazen said:

Johnson has deliberately sabotaged discussions to get closer to no deal. He doesn't give a toss about what it means for a lot of people. Why on earth would he delay when he's this close? What have you seen to suggest this is a possibility?

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Probably and yes. There's also the factor that he'd probably get kicked out of Downing St if he agreed to an extension, being as Cummings got him to kick out all the One Nation type MPs and the ERG rule the parliamentary party.

I think on balance Johnson would reject it, but he probably knows just how bad things will be with No Deal.*

Many of the staunchest Brexiteers could change their minds when the impact hits home; there’s a huge difference between the theoretical effects and the real effects.

* I know any deal will be shit but if it’s No Deal, leading to the U.K. breaking international law, then the blowback will be more severe.  I’d love the EU27 to say “break international law and we’re closing our borders with you”.  It will never happen but it’s an action that would fùck the U.K. within a week.

4 hours ago, btb said:

How many doses can you fit in a Spitfire?

What are you suggesting?  That everyone kneels down in an orderly line with their ass in the air while a spitfire swoops down and fires a vaccine to each and everyone.

Count me out.

The optimistic hope that people, especially pundits, will eventually see the error and change tack is doomed

They're going to double down and look for someone else to blame.

Parallels with the Iraq War. The show will move on, ordinary people will be left to deal with the mess, a tiny group will make a load of cash and none of the high-profile public cheerleaders will ever admit they were wrong.

Closest we will get will be "Brexit wad a great idea, poorly executed". 

Hopefully it hastens the end of the current UK.

And it's that tiny group getting the cash that's the main driving factor here. Even Johnson's own family have said he stands to make a fortune from this. He's at the end game now. I can see him chucking it not long after. I think he even might be COUNTING on the disaster to give him an excuse to cut and run.

21 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

What are you suggesting?  That everyone kneels down in an orderly line with their ass in the air while a spitfire swoops down and fires a vaccine to each and everyone.

Count me out.

I didn’t die in two world wars only to have cynics like you reject mass aerial rectal inoculation.  It’s an insult to our brave boys.

Don’t get me wrong, I hope Brexit Britain goes off the cliff edge and lies rotting and stinking in the earth, but I can’t help but suspect that the Tories and their media are briefing this “No Deal” disaster so that, when a shite deal is announced, they can present Boris as a golden idol who saved Britain in its darkest hour. 

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Many of the staunchest Brexiteers could change their minds when the impact hits home; there’s a huge difference between the theoretical effects and the real effects.

Not a chance. If the staunchest Brexiteers were hit personally, they would blame (in this order):

1. “The garlic-munching frogs.”

2. “The sausage-munching ****.”

3. “The ignorant, ungrateful Irish.”

4. The filthy, bullying EU which doesn’t even have Prince Charles as next in line for its presidency.

5. European judges who don’t let us hang pedos.

6. Jeremy Corbyn.

7. The BBC who wasn’t anywhere near hard enough and didn’t give Farage his own dedicated show (leftie p***ks).

8.  Scotch traitor Nicola “Krankie” Sturgeon and her dirty Scotch fifth columnists.

9.  The Blacks.

10. The Jews.

1 hour ago, Antlion said:

Not a chance. If the staunchest Brexiteers were hit personally, they would blame (in this order):

4. The filthy, bullying EU which doesn’t even have Prince Charles as next in line for its presidency.

6. Jeremy Corbyn.

7. The BBC who wasn’t anywhere near hard enough and didn’t give Farage his own dedicated show (leftie p***ks).

8.  Scotch traitor Nicola “Krankie” Sturgeon and her dirty Scotch fifth columnists.

9.  The Blacks.

10. The Jews.

Eh.  What about sun spots and solar winds?

1 hour ago, Antlion said:

6. Jeremy Corbyn.

9.  The Blacks.

10. The Jews.

You forgot the fake virus, being used to push communist ideology.

EU fishermen to receive increased quotas for certain fish in British waters, and smaller quotas for other types. In essence Fish that are more popular on Continent will be part of increased quotas and fish more popular in blighty lower quotas.
Now considering the continent is a huge export market for UK fisherman plus UK can't determine catch in its own waters, then UK is most definitely taking back control [emoji849][emoji848]

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 hours ago, Antlion said:

Don’t get me wrong, I hope Brexit Britain goes off the cliff edge and lies rotting and stinking in the earth, but I can’t help but suspect that the Tories and their media are briefing this “No Deal” disaster so that, when a shite deal is announced, they can present Boris as a golden idol who saved Britain in its darkest hour. 

Given that a only a tiny percentage of people in the country (probably less that 0.5%) have even the vaguest conception of the complexity of entangling ourselves from the thousands and thousands of legal issues which make up our long membership of the EU, it suits the Tories and their lapdogs in the press to present it to the masses in the form of the Ladybird book of Brexit.....or actually, probably more in the form of a Commando comic. 

That is, it has to be black and white. There has to be a winner and a loser. There has to be good and bad. 

Otherwise, people aren't interested. 

So, rather than take time to try and explain the minutae....and to in fact explain that there are no 'winners', but only losers....it's essential to the Tories to portray Brexit as a victory. 

More than essential in fact. Their political existence as the party they are just now depends on a high percentage of UK voters believing that the UK has 'won'. 

That's why, no matter what happens, perception is much more important to the Tories than anything else. 

5 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:

The optimistic hope that people, especially pundits, will eventually see the error and change tack is doomed

Click through for the thread

Edited by NotThePars