Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

4 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
19 minutes ago, btb said:
Not just the DUP, the HoL amendments were voted down in the Commons by 357-268 last night,  so with 10 DUP MPs I'm guessing 347 Tories voted in favour just to see them given away less than 24 hours later. The controversial sections of the Bill were essentially a bargaining ploy by the UK government, an obvious deal-breaker for the EU and BJ ditching them means we're going to sign something in the next few days (famous last words).
Not that it bothers me much but the 357 who voted the amendments down last night must be feeling pretty foolish today!

If they are going to sign a deal then these weren't going to ever be needed, so why alienate half the party?

It was a negotiating tactic.

Just now, Jacksgranda said:

The RoI couldn't afford to keep the citizens of NI in the manner to which we are accustomed without bankrupting themselves, so would have to go with the begging bowl to Brussels.

The EU central bank was happy to waive fiscal rules for Germany when it reunited (incidentally baking a German competitive advantage into the Euro) so I'm sure they'd happily do the same for our country cousins. 

5 minutes ago, coprolite said:

The EU central bank was happy to waive fiscal rules for Germany when it reunited (incidentally baking a German competitive advantage into the Euro) so I'm sure they'd happily do the same for our country cousins. 

That's what I said, only dressed up in Euro speak.

13 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
28 minutes ago, btb said:
Not just the DUP, the HoL amendments were voted down in the Commons by 357-268 last night,  so with 10 DUP MPs I'm guessing 347 Tories voted in favour just to see them given away less than 24 hours later. The controversial sections of the Bill were essentially a bargaining ploy by the UK government, an obvious deal-breaker for the EU and BJ ditching them means we're going to sign something in the next few days (famous last words).
Not that it bothers me much but the 357 who voted the amendments down last night must be feeling pretty foolish today!

If they are going to sign a deal then these weren't going to ever be needed, so why alienate half the party?

I always saw the amendments  as BJ doing a bit of sabre-rattling to please the EU purists within his party, like I said a bargaining ploy albeit a stupid one that could never really be used especially after the Don lost the US election last month.

Spoiler

Or did he? Dan-dan-dan! :whistle

Why alienate half the party - who knows why the mofo does anything?.

Whoodathunkit?

Billionaire Jim Ratcliffe's Ineos will manufacture its first car in France after a deal to take over a site run by Germany's Daimler, ditching plans to build a factory in Britain as COVID-19 disrupts the automotive industry.

5 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:
It was a negotiating tactic.

I know that but it must be petty obvious to Europe, so why alienate half the party. Just give a few fish away

He'll come up with something we've "won" in return. And the EU couldn't be sure he was bluffing.

Just caught the tail end of some old tosser on Newsnight, with a pucker accent, informing Emily Maitlis that : 

"An Englishman's word is his bond"

This is presumably a reference to BJ's trip to Brussels to sort everything out. The EU negotiators will be so pleased and relieved to hear that.

Edited by ICTJohnboy

2 hours ago, NotThePars said:

IMG_5194.jpg

Damn Stephen if only you and your publication could’ve done something to stop this

The best thing about this is, if we went back in time knowing what we know now, these people would just act exactly the same way again.

10 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

The best thing about this is, if we went back in time knowing what we know now, these people would just act exactly the same way again.

Obviously they would. And if we went forward in time, factoring in the consequences of Jan 2021, they'd still act exactly the same way again.