Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

54 minutes ago, FreedomFarter said:

Her specifically, she's sponsored by the Institute of Economic Affairs. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institute_of_Economic_Affairs

More broadly, all these right wing talking heads on TV debates are from "think tanks" funded by US oligarchs with the aim of promoting free market/libertarian ideas in UK.

For the sole reason of not publishing their funders there is no way the televised media should be giving them the time of day, it completely undermines political debate.

Happily the free market brigade had their arse handed to them by the market and have some brass neck cropping up after Liz crashed the economy.

Despite his lengthy rap sheet, I can't help liking Campbell. A man who plays the pipes can't be all bad.

That Ella Whelan woman is also one of the Spiked mob, y'know, the former Marxists who now HAYT the EU and Covid restrictions.

1 hour ago, KirkieRR said:

Despite his lengthy rap sheet, I can't help liking Campbell. A man who plays the pipes can't be all bad.

That Ella Whelan woman is also one of the Spiked mob, y'know, the former Marxists who now HAYT the EU and Covid restrictions.

They appropriated the marxism label but were always libertarians, as described here:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/aug/01/why-johnsons-tories-fell-for-a-tiny-sect-of-libertarian-provocateurs-rcp

10 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

Alastair Campbell, James O’Brien, Steven Bray and supertanskiii. Is this really the best the remainers can muster?  

Speaking of James O’Brien, the stupidest man in the British media establishment made a c**t of himself again this week:

Edited by MazzyStar

Bit late with this one but Nigel Farage said that Brexit hadn't worked earlier in the week although he qualified it by saying this was because the Govt. hadn't been gung-ho enough about binning EU regulations.

It's almost as if he doesn't realize that the UK is tied into many of these regulations if we want to trade with the EU.

Said it before but I reckon they'd have been happier if the vote had gone 48-52 against them and they could have stayed on the sidelines carping rather than having to make the impossible possible.

1 hour ago, btb said:

Said it before but I reckon they'd have been happier if the vote had gone 48-52 against them and they could have stayed on the sidelines carping rather than having to make the impossible possible

Which they could have learnt straight from the SNP playbook.

On 20/05/2023 at 18:33, btb said:

Bit late with this one but Nigel Farage said that Brexit hadn't worked earlier in the week although he qualified it by saying this was because the Govt. hadn't been gung-ho enough about binning EU regulations.

It's almost as if he doesn't realize that the UK is tied into many of these regulations if we want to trade with the EU.

Said it before but I reckon they'd have been happier if the vote had gone 48-52 against them and they could have stayed on the sidelines carping rather than having to make the impossible possible.

Yeah Nige, the sooner we can have folk working 65hr weeks and finishing shifts at 2am and starting again at 5am the better.

I honestly would never tire of kicking Farage in the testicles. In fact I would finish at 2am and start again at 5am if that was my job. 

Edited by 10menwent2mow

1 hour ago, Marlo Stanfield said:

Pure #FBPE brain this.

I like Femi but, aye, he and his fellow travellers just don't get it.

Screenshot_20230530_125736_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.154cf7976575d4bd3c5a3ce49dac449f.jpg

Fighting the far right with more of the exact thing that's causing the disaffection, neoliberalism.

And the result:

Screenshot_20230530_130104_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.d3b3ad6c8e6a5bad15c80319481bac8d.jpg

Edit: I'm not saying the EU is the biggest vector of neoliberalism in our societies, its not. I'm saying that if opposing the far right is genuinely your aim then the cause to rally around is not EU membership. Italy's election of a far right government can be directly linked to the failure of Matteo Renzi's "Third Way" shite, made even worse by Mario Draghi after him. 13 years of Tory rule was brought on by Blair shifting Labour rightwards. Le Pen is growing in popularity partly because her economic policies are actually to the left of Macron.

If you make it about identity - a UK flag against an EU flag, for example - you will always lose. Only in addressing folk's material concerns can you get anywhere and liberals cannot seem to see this.

Edited by FreedomFarter

Sky Go tells me that as the UK is no longer a member of the EU it can't let me use it in Denmark to watch County v Jags. Thankfully I've got it going through a VPN on my laptop but it won't work on my phone so I can't cast to to the TV in my hotel room. Just another of the many minor niggles that Brexit has brought with zero benefits.

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Sky Go tells me that as the UK is no longer a member of the EU it can't let me use it in Denmark to watch County v Jags. Thankfully I've got it going through a VPN on my laptop but it won't work on my phone so I can't cast to to the TV in my hotel room. Just another of the many minor niggles that Brexit has brought with zero benefits.

I've had a few weird messages from American websites lately, thankfully nowhere important, denying me access because I'm in the UK. The gist seems to be "we used to deny access from EU nations because we couldn't be arsed implementing GDPR, but now we've sorted that out and can't be arsed finding out whatever the UK is doing, so f**k it".

• 2 weeks later...

No doubt there'll still be the deluded few who'll bleat on about "oven ready deals" and Brexit benefits, but this is quite incredible:

Figures from the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) show that the UK’s goods and services exports had a value of £813bn in 2012 and rose by just 6% to £862.6bn by 2021.

That compares with the double-digit increases enjoyed by Canada (10.2%), France (16.1%), Germany (22.7%), Italy (15.9%) and the US (13.8%). The EU’s 27 member states as a whole enjoyed a 29.1% increase in the value of their exports in the same period.

On 13/06/2023 at 08:07, Dan Steele said:

No doubt there'll still be the deluded few who'll bleat on about "oven ready deals" and Brexit benefits, but this is quite incredible:

Figures from the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) show that the UK’s goods and services exports had a value of £813bn in 2012 and rose by just 6% to £862.6bn by 2021.

That compares with the double-digit increases enjoyed by Canada (10.2%), France (16.1%), Germany (22.7%), Italy (15.9%) and the US (13.8%). The EU’s 27 member states as a whole enjoyed a 29.1% increase in the value of their exports in the same period.

That only includes two years outside the EU. 

The time period starts in the middle of the Eurozone crisis, so it's probable that the EU member figures show more reversion to mean than growth from a similar base. 

In terms of starting point, the US is probably more comparable to the UK. The US's performance ahead of the UK can probably be attributed largely to good old Keynesian spending out of a recession, while Gideon gave us an "expansionary fiscal contraction" (aka austerity). 

Figures are consistent with Tories managing the economy very badly but it's a stretch to attribute them to brexit. 

40 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

“UK billionaires made less money than billionaires in the other neo-colonialist countries did 😢” 

Desperate stuff from the remainers. 

The marxist overthrow of the evil capitalist EU is going swimmingly. I'm enjoying all these means of production. 

47 minutes ago, coprolite said:

The marxist overthrow of the evil capitalist EU is going swimmingly. I'm enjoying all these means of production. 

Just you wait until Marxism-Leninism-Starmerism finally becomes a reality.