Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

54 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

No true.

I took the decision tae abstain because Scottish votes mean eff-all in UK terms.

It was English voters who made the decision on Brexit.

27 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It meant a lot in Scottish terms though, the bigger the majority for remain in Scotland the stronger the case for independence. 

But I dinnae agree wi' your assessment of the situation.

Brexit was about Brexit and had eff-all tae dae with Scottish Independence.

Better wait until after the next Independence Referendum before you make assertions on voting patterns.

ps. I didnae vote for Remain yet I'm a die-hard Scottish Nationalist, so ye can add me, an Abstainer, tae 'the stronger the case for independence'

18 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

But I dinnae agree wi' your assessment of the situation.

Brexit was about Brexit and had eff-all tae dae with Scottish Independence.

Better wait until after the next Independence Referendum before you make assertions on voting patterns.

ps. I didnae vote for Remain yet I'm a die-hard Scottish Nationalist, so ye can add me, an Abstainer, tae 'the stronger the case for independence'

But it's not about your vote, it's about making the case to the 10%. You'd vote for independence if it meant we'd sink into the sea.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

The referendum was about a lot more than politics, though.

Was it?

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

But it's not about your vote, it's about making the case to the 10%. You'd vote for independence if it meant we'd sink into the sea.

This made me laugh. There are people on both sides of the debate who would do this, and I doubt I'll ever understand it.

Politics is even more ridiculous than football.

This made me laugh. There are people on both sides of the debate who would do this, and I doubt I'll ever understand it.

Politics is even more ridiculous than football.

Aye. It wasn't about voting for a particular political party, it was about deciding whether or not you wanted Scotland to make their own decisions and to have self determination. To be a proper country.

It turned into an SNP v Labour/Torys/everybody else which funnily enough has now resulted in a load of voters changing their political party/vote solely due to their views on independence even if they don't particularly like the party. Labour voters shifting to either side, SNP members that disagree with a lot of their policies but want Indy, likewise with the Tories and unionists.

It's a clusterfuck now and it won't change.

32 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Aye. It wasn't about voting for a particular political party, it was about deciding whether or not you wanted Scotland to make their own decisions and to have self determination. To be a proper country.

That is a political decision. 

I would wager a good number of No voters quite liked that idea ideologically (or at the very least weren't opposed to it) but weren't convinced by issues such as currency and (ironically) the EU. 

It's simplification certainly but there'll be a solid 25-30% on either side who would vote Yes or No under absolutely any circumstance. The hardcore nationalists who can't see the wood for the trees (loads on here, on both ends). The rest will move depending on what suits them best. 

I agree with the rest of your post. I don't understand why you wouldn't consider voting SNP if you voted No, and I don't understand why voting Yes means you must vote SNP - but that's where we are now, and it isn't changing. 

8 hours ago, Dipped Flake said:

I think I saw a report that said EU citizens voted about 65 to 35 for NO. Mainly due to the threat that Scotland would be kicked out of the EU. I would expect the 65 to 35 to be at least reversed now 

I went for a haircut at lunchtime today and the Estonian girl doing the cutting had been here for 15 years and is now spending her cash on lawyers fees to try and secure her nationality before March. She's a certainty to vote for Scotland next time round and I'd imagine hundreds of thousands of others like her will too. 

11 minutes ago, HTG said:

I went for a haircut at lunchtime today and the Estonian girl doing the cutting had been here for 15 years and is now spending her cash on lawyers fees to try and secure her nationality before March. She's a certainty to vote for Scotland next time round and I'd imagine hundreds of thousands of others like her will too. 

March is only the Government's deadline for triggering Article 50. The Brexit negotiations will take at least a year after that, possibly two years. At the end of that process, it's likely that a deal will be struck to allow EU nationals a right of residency with a reciprocal agreement for British nationals who are living in EU countries.

In any case, if she's been here 15 years, she would have no problem securing permanent leave to remain or citizenship. Only a criminal record or failing the citizenship tests could be a problem. It sounds like an unscrupulous lawyer is exploiting her insecurity. 

8 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

March is only the Government's deadline for triggering Article 50. The Brexit negotiations will take at least a year after that, possibly two years. At the end of that process, it's likely that a deal will be struck to allow EU nationals a right of residency with a reciprocal agreement for British nationals who are living in EU countries.

In any case, if she's been here 15 years, she would have no problem securing permanent leave to remain or citizenship. Only a criminal record or failing the citizenship tests could be a problem. It sounds like an unscrupulous lawyer is exploiting her insecurity. 

I hope HTG shows her your reply.  I'm sure the opinion of some no mark on a football forum will give her complete peace of mind and make her realise that worrying about her future is just stupid.

Just now, Granny Danger said:

I hope HTG shows her your reply.  I'm sure the opinion of some no mark on a football forum will give her complete peace of mind and make her realise that worrying about her future is just stupid.

So what did I say that was incorrect? You are just an ignorant no mark troll on a football forum.

"My Team : Dundee Utd". Screwing the Thompsons and their mercenary team was Ratnamara's finest achievement. :lol:

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/12/19/europe/cnn-brexit-poll/index.html

Has this been reported elsewhere?  If so I've missed it.

Interesting but depressing reading.

http://www.comresglobal.com/polls/cnn-brexit-six-months-on-survey/

http://www.comresglobal.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/CNN_Brexit-Six-Months-On-Survey_December-2016.pdf

Scotland still strongly remain.  U.K. wide huge disparity between young and old.

3 hours ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Or unscrupulous ScotNats

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/12/19/europe/cnn-brexit-poll/index.html

Has this been reported elsewhere?  If so I've missed it.

Interesting but depressing reading.

http://www.comresglobal.com/polls/cnn-brexit-six-months-on-survey/

http://www.comresglobal.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/CNN_Brexit-Six-Months-On-Survey_December-2016.pdf

Scotland still strongly remain.  U.K. wide huge disparity between young and old.

And Scotland is overwhelmingly against a referendum on EU membership - 51% to 39% (see table 3 on page 6).

Most Scots believe that Remain supporters are trying to prevent Brexit - 57% to 19% who don't believe that (see table 4 on page 8)

54 minutes ago, Bishop Briggs said:

And Scotland is overwhelmingly against a referendum on EU membership - 51% to 39% (see table 3 on page 6).

Most Scots believe that Remain supporters are trying to prevent Brexit - 57% to 19% who don't believe that (see table 4 on page 8)

I would hope all Scots would believe that.

On 12/19/2016 at 02:14, Peppino Impastato said:

Btw,  there is now a Catholic majority in northern Ireland among people aged 39 and under.  The union is genuinely in its death throes,  fuckin fantastic eh. What a time to be alive. 

it's a bit of jump to come to that conclusion...

NI politics of nationalism are a lot more complex than old firm fans / tabloid media would have you believe

20 hours ago, RedRob72 said:

What makes you think that the majority of people who identify themselves as 'of the Catholic faith' in NI, align themselves with the Republic?

Poor old Peppy. He even thinks that the Republic would want to take over Ulster. The reality is that it could not afford it even it wanted to.

The Republic had real austerity after its EU bailout. And has the Republic paid the UK back the £3 billion that it received as part of the bailout? 

Or Liam Fox