Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

"British" Airways has got to be the biggest joke around, they should be renamed "London" airways. Unless you're flying long haul and needing a connection or looking for a shuttle to London (that your company is paying for) then they have no coverage whatsoever for the rest of the country. The only airlines I would associate with Scotland nowadays are Ryanair, Easyjet and JET2 and even Ryanair and Easyjet are cutting back on their offerings. It's a pretty poor show to be honest.

Its a model that works with big airlines, hub systems make them more efficient. However virgin etc should be commended for increasing transatlantic offerings from Scotland.

Back in the 80's I used to fly quite regularly to and from the Far East.  
Always 747's....., usually Cathay Pacific, or Singapore Airlines. Sometimes BA because there were quite good deals. But preferably
not as the service was a bit perfunctory.   
Anyway, on my last flight at the end of my contract, I decided to return via Kuala Lumpur.   The flight 
out of there was Malaysian Airlines.., a Tristar, my first time on one.   After take off, there was a huge clang...., as the undercarriage came up.
I just about sh*t myself.   
[emoji23][emoji23]
Tristar was the first wide body I ever flew on (Worldways, Prestwick -> Toronto), back when kids were allowed up to the cockpit. Think I was also just mesmerised by the sheer size of the thing as a nipper.

44 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Its a model that works with big airlines, hub systems make them more efficient. However virgin etc should be commended for increasing transatlantic offerings from Scotland.

There's no doubt about that but your supposed "national carrier" can't really claim that title when they only really focus on one City in the entire country.

34 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Put 24,519 of your posts in order of stupidity?

That would be more than a lifetime's work.

:(

No, just some examples.  The clue was in the term ‘some examples’ but you obviously missed it.

Hmmm....I'm no expert on air travel but when Airbus announced the cessation of production of their behemoth late last week I'm sure I heard writer David Learmont say that one of the reasons was customers' increasing desire for more 'local' flights, hence an increasing focus on smaller, more agile aircraft.

There's no doubt about that but your supposed "national carrier" can't really claim that title when they only really focus on one City in the entire country.

Look im as big a scottish nationalist as there is on here and even I understand the model, they fly mainly from outer airports to hub airports in the biggest and busiest population centre. This is something thats mirrored world wide, its not just BA being anti everywhere else, it just doesnt make business sense for them to operate flights from Glasgow to places other than hubs etc, with the exception of the summer when they serve european routes from Glasgow. Loads of airlines do it, United, Emirates (pretty sure all of their flights either start in or fly to Dubai?) Air France too (a ‘flag carrier), even Lufthansa only really flies from two German hubs, Icelandair also, could keep going but ive made my point, its the most cost effective way of running an airline.

Hmmm....I'm no expert on air travel but when Airbus announced the cessation of production of their behemoth late last week I'm sure I heard writer David Learmont say that one of the reasons was customers' increasing desire for more 'local' flights, hence an increasing focus on smaller, more agile aircraft.

On the whole yes, look at America, the biggest airline market in the world and they hardly bought any a380’s, their biggest money makers are smaller planes, the dreamliner with bigger range and better fuel economy. The a380 was largely designed with the asian market in particular, one of the concepts of Malaysia Air was to have 600 all economy seats to fly in and out of Mecca, a great idea in theory, however generally in the rest of the world the market isnt there. The same thing has happened to the boeing 747, the new version hasn’t really taken off either (bad pun).

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:
7 hours ago, welshbairn said:
Loganair are good, free coffee and biscuit. Yum! 

I have moved on from the caramel wafer to the wee twin pack of Deans Shortbread.

I was on a flight to Orkney recently and as the flight was half full we got a free coffee refill! Glorious days as it's usually only half a cup. 

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

On the whole yes, look at America, the biggest airline market in the world and they hardly bought any a380’s, their biggest money makers are smaller planes, the dreamliner with bigger range and better fuel economy. The a380 was largely designed with the asian market in particular, one of the concepts of Malaysia Air was to have 600 all economy seats to fly in and out of Mecca, a great idea in theory, however generally in the rest of the world the market isnt there. The same thing has happened to the boeing 747, the new version hasn’t really taken off either (bad pun).

Bit of a handicap for an aeroplane...

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

I was on a flight to Orkney recently and as the flight was half full we got a free coffee refill! Glorious days as it's usually only half a cup. 

I was on a flight to Orkney a while ago. It was starting to get dark as we approached Kirkwall and then for some reason we began to circle to airport. After about half an hour circling, the captain eventually announced :

Sorry about the delay in landing at Kirkwall - we're just waiting on someone down there to switch the runway lights on.

The absolute brass necks on show in that video. Marvellous.

Still, the English are apparently propping up the economy over there, so the Spanish government will be bending over backwards for the Brexpats any day now.

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Ultimately I think the Spanish will protect the British ex-pats living there.
Not cause they add anything to the economy but more cause the Spanish aren’t utter c***s like the British.

I don't know. For all that, it's a large population of aging and unhealthy people who probably cost the UK government a fair bit each year. I don't know if the Spanish would have any appetite to pick up that bill, and of they did I'm sure it wouldn't be very popular in Spain.