Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

14 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Surely time for another one of Her Majesty's dramatic interventions from the Sandringham Women's Institute.  Or perhaps Gordon Brown from a foodbank in Cowdengelly.

Lizzy and Phil will be too busy searching their 400 room residence for the proper documents to apply for their settled status.

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Sounds like May has bought off her rebels, so nothing likely to happen till March 12th.

1. Vote on her deal, if it fails...

2. Vote on No Deal exit, if No....

3. Vote on extending A50.

Still not taken No deal off the table - I would imagine more will be leaving to join TIG

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Sounds like May has bought off her rebels, so nothing likely to happen till March 12th.

1. Vote on her deal, if it fails...

2. Vote on No Deal exit, if No....

3. Vote on extending A50.

...and if the EU refuses to extend Article 50?  

I thought an extension was a stick on despite previous ‘conditions’ but in the last 24 hours certain EU politicians have repeated that they will not offer this if it is just to facilitate a few more months of procrastination.

2 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Down here in't north of England, the mood is decidedly ugly.

And it's not the only thing...

At least the warmer weather and lighter nights are coming in, it's always better to "riot" in good weather rather than in those cold, dark and stormy winter nights.............

Just now, Granny Danger said:

I thought an extension was a stick on despite previous ‘conditions’ but in the last 24 hours certain EU politicians have repeated that they will not offer this if it is just to facilitate a few more months of procrastination.

I thought there was an olive branch offered by the EU yesterday about an extension?

The fact does remain however what does a short extension actually achieve, if no plan in place to resolve the situation?

1 minute ago, Londonwell said:

I thought there was an olive branch offered by the EU yesterday about an extension?

The fact does remain however what does a short extension actually achieve, if no plan in place to resolve the situation?

Spot on.  What will she achieve in two months that she hadn’t in 30?  What’s the chance of Leavers/Remainers, the Hard Brexiteers, the DUP, etc changing their respective positions.  Maybe it makes another referendum more likely.

For me there were mixed messages about enthusiasm for a short extension if it is not to facilitate a particular end.  The mixed message aspect is important as any extension needs unanimous approval.

Just now, AUFC90 said:

If the EU reject an extension can the UK government not just unilaterally revoke article 50 then start it again ?

God I hope not, I can't put up with much more of this.

The statement is quite a movement from May, I mean it was only yesterday that she refused to even acknowledge the thought of an extension to A50. Another question though, which May didn't answer, what if parliament votes against her deal, a no deal and an extension to A50? 

8 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

The EU would definitely accept an extension to avoid a No Deal and having to put in place a hard border in Ireland or between Ireland and the Continent. Even if the Commons vote against a No Deal it would still happen without a revocation of A50 which ain't going to happen. My prediction #765.2 is May will lose the vote on her deal, Commons will vote against No Deal and for an extension, and May will call a General Election.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

The EU would definitely accept an extension to avoid a No Deal and having to put in place a hard border in Ireland or between Ireland and the Continent. Even if the Commons vote against a No Deal it would still happen without a revocation of A50 which ain't going to happen. My prediction #765.2 is May will lose the vote on her deal, Commons will vote against No Deal and for an extension, and May will call a General Election.

That’s a possible scenario but then an application would need to be made for a longer extension to facilitate a GE and a new government.

The good thing is a new government will easily get a parliamentary majority for whatever deal they reached with the EU.

Spoiler

Only kidding.

Answer: Appropriate time to plan a referendum. Ext to article, then referendum, then bin brexit. I've been consistent all along... Brexit will not be implemented. The establishment will piss over the initial referendum result, and the disenfranchised voters will be further disenfranchised.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

That’s a possible scenario but then an application would need to be made for a longer extension to facilitate a GE and a new government.

The good thing is a new government will easily get a parliamentary majority for whatever deal they reached with the EU.

Hide contents

Only kidding.

A longer extension would probably take us into EU elections, which creates a whole new problem. 

Be interesting to see what Labour do now in the event of a GE. I’m not convinced a GE solves anything either tbh. 

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Hide contents

Only kidding.

I could see the EU saying they'll happily to agree to an extension but only for a minimum of one year as it would take at least that time to negotiate a new withdrawal agreement.